What do you guys think of this latest Faust/Dissection news?

ScottG

Apr 29, 2001
Long Island
So Dissection needs a drummer now too? (check blabbermouth btw)

Even though I was prepared to say Jon's done his time and that I can't deny music as good The Somberlain and Storm of The Light's Bane, I knew most people in the scene would have nothing to do with him. Have you seen all the rhetoric about what was required for the new guitar and bass player? Even another criminal wants no part of it.

Why do I get the feeling that if he wants to put out another Dissection album, Jon will be recording all the parts himself?

like burzum and graveland: "i don't care what he thinks, as long as the music is good"

but i have my doubts about Jon... i don't think the next release will do a bit of justice to what he has done in the past. i think it is a case of "too little, too late"

*here's to hoping that he proves me wrong*

I kinda went "meh, fair enough" reading the news, but what really grabbed my attention was in the Comments bit:

"Corpse paint and spiked leather outfits do not make you evil, they make you look like black metal Kiss."

Deja vu, anyone? :D

Quoth the comments page for the blabbermouth.net news item, in reply to someone stating that "opeth shreads":

"COMMENT | Ugggggghhhhhhh Opeth do not......
posted by: ARDY
12/10/2003 2:16:33 PM

shread. They're not a flashy,look at me!!!!!, pantera,exodus,judas priest sort of band dumbfuck!!!!! Opeth perform artistical mental landscapes and dark passages into the depths of one's soul. A far cry from simply "shreading" you fuckin moron!!! I bet you can't even name 2 Opeth songs kisssucks?????????????"

Opeth fans...

It will be very tough for Jon to find members with the right ideology, I imagine. I wouldn't be surprised if Shamaatae of Arckanum would take a seat on the Dissection drum stool as they hold the same type of "anti-cosmic" values and probably know each other. He's also a great drummer, but I'm not sure if he stylistically would fit in Dissection. Then again, I don't even know how the new Dissection will sound.

Nasheim would like a drummer as well, but it's a real fucking pain to find someone who 1) we would get along with and 2) would ideologically and musically fit into the band. We can't have someone in the band who doesn't agree with what we write lyrically or has a very different musical background. Oh, and then there's the issue of being at least slightly capable of playing the drums. Musical skills are really second to all the personal factors though.

Faust also stated that he didn't realize how strong the Satanic influence on DISSECTION actually was.
Damn, I thought it was pretty obvious!

Erik said:
Musical skills are really second to all the personal factors though.
That's obviously how Jon feels about Dissection as well. Myself, when I look for musicians to jam with, I find that music transcends all personal differences. Case in point, the one guitarist that I completely gel with after 12 years of searching, is a devout Christian, which I most certainly am not. Maybe it's because I have no interest in lyrics or philosophic message behind my music though... :p

Right, maybe he doesn't exactly, but he shares the whole anti-cosmic thing. I'm not going too speak too much more on this since I don't know exactly what I'm talking about.

i think it was a good decision of both bård and jon, i read in some interview with jon that the upcoming album would more or less be a MLO-sermon and if one doesn't share those viewpoints it would feel pretty odd to have him (or her perhaps hehe) in the band. and as sorath said i don't think shamaatae would fit ideologicaly either since he has his pan loge. even though he has some viewpoints in common with MLO it still differs. but it wouldn't surprise me if he did appear since he has some friends within that organization and i guess that includes jon (said in this interview if anyones's interested).
oh well, will be great hearing the album when it it's finally released anyhow