Distortion pedals

schenkadere

Obey my dog!
Apr 24, 2005
NY
www.soundclick.com
Ok...I'm sure it's been tossed around here before, but with the market flooded with overdrive and distortion pedals and the boutique prices through the roof...what are your thoughts on the best value in a distortion pedal for hard rock to metal.

I currently use a DOD 250 to boost my amps lead channel, but would like something that can stretch into the more modern tones.

I really don't like anything I try, maybe it's because I refuse to pay boutique prices...I don't know.

The Seymour Duncan Tweak Fuzz and Lava Box look interesting. I always loved Blues Saraceno's tone and the Tweak Fuzz was designed with him and his dad who made all his amps.

Anyone have a pedal they're really happy with?

what kind of amp are you using?

I've never been able to use distortion/boost pedals for my rhythm tones, it's all amp distortion for me. For leads, I use a TubeScreamer (TS9...might get the Keeley baked mode done this fall)which works great for me, but I'm definitely sold on the BB Preamp. I'm waiting to learn more about the upcoming BB Plus, but I know for sure I'll be getting one or the other before the end of the year. It just depends on whether or not the BB plus is worth the extra dough for me. Hit up youtube to find a clip of Andy Timmons (one of my favorite players)demoing one....might not be the kind of tone you are looking for, but worth checking out either way. I've also heard great things about the Barber Direct Drive...one of my teachers uses it and I trust his opinion on tone as much if not more than anybody's.

As far as heavy rhythm sounds go, I can't comment because I don't use pedlas for that.

what kind of amp are you using?

I've never been able to use distortion/boost pedals for my rhythm tones, it's all amp distortion for me. For leads, I use a TubeScreamer (TS9...might get the Keeley baked mode done this fall)which works great for me, but I'm definitely sold on the BB Preamp. I'm waiting to learn more about the upcoming BB Plus, but I know for sure I'll be getting one or the other before the end of the year. It just depends on whether or not the BB plus is worth the extra dough for me. Hit up youtube to find a clip of Andy Timmons (one of my favorite players)demoing one....might not be the kind of tone you are looking for, but worth checking out either way. I've also heard great things about the Barber Direct Drive...one of my teachers uses it and I trust his opinion on tone as much if not more than anybody's.

As far as heavy rhythm sounds go, I can't comment because I don't use pedlas for that.

Yeah...Andy Timmons may be my favorite player right now...thanks...I'll check it out.

I had an original Tube Screamer that I used with my dear departed JCM 800. The lead tone was GOLD!

I had an MXR preamp pedal, the line they made with plastic(!!) cases. It's the ONLY thing that came close to the TS/JCM800 combo...

AMT (IIRC)is releasing a Freak Guitar pedal in the not too distant futre. I have NO idea what the pricing will be like, or if they will be available here in the US. Check out Freak Kitchen's page for some details, it has one or two real tubes in it....

I had an original Tube Screamer that I used with my dear departed JCM 800. The lead tone was GOLD!

I had an MXR preamp pedal, the line they made with plastic(!!) cases. It's the ONLY thing that came close to the TS/JCM800 combo...

AMT (IIRC)is releasing a Freak Guitar pedal in the not too distant futre. I have NO idea what the pricing will be like, or if they will be available here in the US. Check out Freak Kitchen's page for some details, it has one or two real tubes in it....

Did your JCM 800 pass away, or did you cheat on her and lose her forever?:lol:

Did your JCM 800 pass away, or did you cheat on her and lose her forever?:lol:

Nope, I was forced to sell it, and all my gear to keep a roof over my head. I had an extended period of unemployment, and once the unemployment comp ran out, I had to start e-baying everything I had of value. Things are much better today, but nowhere near as good as they were before the fallout. My M/B Mk IV hurt more than the Marshall did...I won't even go into the guitars....:erk:

Nope, I was forced to sell it, and all my gear to keep a roof over my head. I had an extended period of unemployment, and once the unemployment comp ran out, I had to start e-baying everything I had of value. Things are much better today, but nowhere near as good as they were before the fallout. My M/B Mk IV hurt more than the Marshall did...I won't even go into the guitars....:erk:

Wow, sorry to hear it.:ill: Hope things are on the upswing.

I take it that was the same period where you got rid of the jem(s?) too?

1)Jem LNG NOS #236 (IIRC)
2) 87 Jem DSY in great, but played shape
3) Jem 90th dead mint except for SLIGHT guard fogging
4) 1977 Les Paul Custom player condition
5) Charvel Mod 4. dead mint
6)Taylor 410ce dead mint
7)Taylor 414ce dead mint
8) JCM 800 100 watt head & 4X12 Marshall cabinet
9) Mesa Boogie MK IV & Theile cabinet

All sold in the span of one year, money used to keep my head above water, eventually drowning anyway... It's like therapy to typle all that out....

Wow, sorry to hear it.:ill: Hope things are on the upswing.

Thanks,
A little better now, still financially not where I want to be, but the job situation is pretty decent, and I'll probably eat a bullet if I ever have to sell my Caparison....

At least I managed to keep my house & car through all the bad stuff. Never again, I hope! :zombie:

geeze dude, I sweat getting rid of any gear (even if it is willingly) so I can't imagine what that's like. I'm about to sell off my seven string and it's killing me, even though I very rarey use it and want to sell it.