Distressor

I've got my stereo pair since 1 years and it seems the tracks where I use it are more "mixable".
I'm a great fan on heavy compression on OH and room mics, Distressor do the job very well. It's very different than over compressors I have which are more dedicated to be on a bus like the summit DCL or my old SSL G384.

As Anssi Tenhunen said before, Distortion is a part of the sound. But it should be used very carefully. It's not a DBX 160'.
If I would have only one comp this should be this one.

I've tour with them during 3 month in a suspended rack and the rear connection have failed 3 times. At this time it was not mine but it seems this is a frequent failure of this unit on tour. In comaraison the Tube Tech CL-1B has failed one week after been on the road.

I always use them on Kick and Snare during tracking. Never actually tried them on Vocals, and never used them while mixing. Might try the plug-in versions for mixing at some point, but I doubt I'll ever track drums without them.

What plug-in versions? I wish there was a Distressor emulation...

What plug-in versions? I wish there was a Distressor emulation...

MDC8.jpg

* Modern Deathcore.
* Classic Distressor® EL-8 Compressor clone.
* Power On/Off button.
* Gain Reduction meter include.
* Input level meter include (-12 dB detect).
* Input control (Relative threshold).
* Threshold level (0 to -36 dB).
* Ratio switch (1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 10, 20:1 and Deathcore).
* Side-Chain Filter modes switch (HP, LP, BP).
* Pre-Coloring modes switch (HP, DS, HPDS).
* Attack time control (0.03 ms to 10 ms).
* Release time control (35 ms to 3 secs).
* Output control (0 to 36 dB).
Distressor® is a registered trademark of Empirical Labs, Inc.

http://antress.er-webs.com/

Distressor is a really great compressor both for tracking and for mixing.
I like it above all on drums, especially snare, room mics and vox. Ok also for bass and guitars. A very versatile unit...you need at least two!
:devil:

MDC8.jpg

* Modern Deathcore.
* Classic Distressor® EL-8 Compressor clone.
* Power On/Off button.
* Gain Reduction meter include.
* Input level meter include (-12 dB detect).
* Input control (Relative threshold).
* Threshold level (0 to -36 dB).
* Ratio switch (1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 10, 20:1 and Deathcore).
* Side-Chain Filter modes switch (HP, LP, BP).
* Pre-Coloring modes switch (HP, DS, HPDS).
* Attack time control (0.03 ms to 10 ms).
* Release time control (35 ms to 3 secs).
* Output control (0 to 36 dB).
Distressor® is a registered trademark of Empirical Labs, Inc.

http://antress.er-webs.com/

From what I've heard and my experience, I'm afraid this sounds nothing like the real deal.

loving it on vox and bass, as well as snare.
not using it on snare that often though, cause I don't like to print comp on snare tracks...I do print the compression on bass and vox though (not on the way in, but when I start mixing)

Anyone here used the Slate Dragon? Seems to me to be in the same ballpark as the distressor- similar price and does the same kind of thing. It's something thats way away from my price range but seems of interest to any of you guys who have distressors. I've not seen it mentioned on here at all yet.

Dragon seems to be more of a modern take on the 1176 from what I've seen. Their marketing material even seems to claim that it starts with the same basic circuit but essentially 'supercharges' it.

Distressor is a VCA comp. Distinctly different sound.