Ditching my cracked plugins.

very good!
chances are you'll even become a much better engineer cause you won't be using the waves presets anymore (in case you did) but use your ears.
there are AWESOME cheap and even free plugins out there and noone really needs 10 different EQs and 20 different comps....
buy 2 good comps and 1-2 good EQs and you'll learn to use them much better than 20 different Comps you don't really know inside out

very good!
chances are you'll even become a much better engineer cause you won't be using the waves presets anymore (in case you did) but use your ears.
there are AWESOME cheap and even free plugins out there and noone really needs 10 different EQs and 20 different comps....
buy 2 good comps and 1-2 good EQs and you'll learn to use them much better than 20 different Comps you don't really know inside out

Yeah, over time I've pretty much come to that conclusion. The only Waves plugin I ever used was the L2 limiter, and now I bought Voxengo Elephant and love it!

That along with ReaEQ, ReaComp, Freeverb, and the GVst plugins and I'm set, for now at least. Next on my list is the VintageWarmer, and maybe the "Rocket" compressor everyone on here seems to love.

This is a good step man!
I don't use any cracked/pirated stuff at all. One of my friends still does and I need to lecture him about it:lol:
You feel more rewarded when you do your stuff with legit products.

Good call. One beer for you.

arrogant-bastard.jpg

Jeff

very good!

You sir are quite quite right.

Great work dude. I'm sure you'll feel much more self-satisfied when you do work now.

Though I have to say my mixes actually IMPROVED when I started using the CLA E-channel presets as starting points and tweaking from there, rather than from a blank slate. Forced me to approach certain elements fairly differently to how I normally would have, and in retrospect it was a good thing.

In fact part of the reason I'm still considering the CLA bundle is simply his presets. Given that he keeps his limiters basically on one 'plug and go' setting, you're virtually getting his ideas about compression in that pack, which IMO is worth much more than just the plug-ins themselves.

Call me crazy, but it worked for me!

PS. Totally agree with Lasse about narrowing down the tools. Helps keep your approach much more right-brain during mixing.

I've also started ditching the illegit stuff!
I personally like the try then buy approach though. Would have been a waste of cash to not try first. I've found stuff that works and doesn't work for me.
If I had the cash I'd love to buy the Sonnox VST bundle. Fuck I love that thing!!!

Does anyone know of any FREE eq's that react or even interface like the Sonnox oxford EQ???

I've also started ditching the illegit stuff!
I personally like the try then buy approach though. Would have been a waste of cash to not try first. I've found stuff that works and doesn't work for me.
If I had the cash I'd love to buy the Sonnox VST bundle. Fuck I love that thing!!!

Does anyone know of any FREE eq's that react or even interface like the Sonnox oxford EQ???

I have to agree with you on the try before you buy approach. now that i have found what works and what doesn't I've been doing what i always intended and going through and purchasing the plug ins that i know can help improve my mixes.

The thing with demo versions is the fucking retarded crippledness some companies go with. Some offer a complete uncrippled trial though, and that's way more fair if you ask me. In what state of mind do you expect me to buy a plugin which I can't test fully out? But for those who add like random beeps and shits every 30 seconds... oh my god, it drives you nuts when you are trying to concentrate on what's really going on.

As for the rest of the post, THUMBS UP! I did the same thing a while back, and now I'm only running freeware plugins except for ApTrigga (which I will buy soon... it's cheap as dirt). One thing you've got to be careful with though, is the quality of the freeware plugins. Some of them love to crash your DAW and stuff, but some are REALLY good. I think GVST is one of the few free plugin suites that offer quality plugins with 100% stability. Never had any of those plugs crash on me. There is an awesome compressor named Density mkII too, but I've had that one crash REAPER. I was running Density mkII 1.0 though, and there is a 1.2 out now so maybe it's better..

You will also be a better engineer by going legit, as Lasse pointed out. Back when I was running a gazillion plugins, I had absolutely no clue of what to use where, let alone how to use them. Now I only have what I need, and I keep learning something about them every day. And it feels awesome when you finish a project and you know you did it the legit way =)

Free plugs have come so far that they can definitely compete in some regards with commercial plugs.

Case and point = Freeware amp sims are just as good if not better than the commercial packages out there.