Do any pros use PCs?

JonWormwood

Jun 16, 2007
Jax, Fl
I've noticed professionals and amateurs alike in art/media field (music, graphics, images, coding, modeling etc) use Macs. I've had two in the past and use them from time to time when I go over to a friends photography studio. I'm comfortable on them but I still prefer XP/Vista over OSX.

I was just thinking outloud. :eek:

3D Graphics and CAD/CAE works better on linux :)
Windows is less stable especially in parallel computing.
Macs are useless (though some 3D graphics packages ported to OSX).

One of my clients is a very large media/advertisting/creative house in London and they're split 50/50 between Mac and PC these days whereas they were 100% Mac previously. It's just down to personal preference in that particular field. Same goes for those of us doing post-production work for them.

Can't say that I've seen too many pro studios running PC's though. That (like the art/media realm) may be a legacy decision, but it seems like Mac/Pro Tools has a stranglehold on that market.

Having worked in many PC-dominated companies as one of the few Mac people I've found that my choice of the Mac has always enabled me to do things above and beyond what a Windows PC is capable of. If you're determined, you can get great results from a Windows PC, but the OS is going to impose a lot more bullshit in the way of your work.

I think it's entirely possible to do music production on Windows these days though, and many of the great freeware plugins out there are available only as Windows VST DLLs.

I've noticed professionals and amateurs alike in art/media field (music, graphics, images, coding, modeling etc) use Macs. I've had two in the past and use them from time to time when I go over to a friends photography studio. I'm comfortable on them but I still prefer XP/Vista over OSX.

I was just thinking outloud. :eek:

I was going to get a Mac years ago because protools used the sound designer 2 format but then they stopped using it so there was no need to get a Mac.

The only real difference now is the operating systems and that Macs use ECC registerd DIMMS which cost alot more.:mad::mad:

I have found locally to me more pros are moving to PCs at the moment.

I didn`t get it...

A huge number of people on this board, including the host and a large percentage of those who write in-depth and useful articles, use Macs exclusively. Unless you were trying to be sarcastic, and not doing it very well, Mac-bashing - especially without backing your statements up - is not a good idea.

Jeff

A huge number of people on this board, including the host and a large percentage of those who write in-depth and useful articles, use Macs exclusively. Unless you were trying to be sarcastic, and not doing it very well, Mac-bashing - especially without backing your statements up - is not a good idea.

Jeff

Unless I read his post wrong, he was only referring to 3D graphics work.

Jeff
OK, I understand.
I does not mean audio software :)
First post in this topic includes modeling and graphics usage - so I just mentioned areas where macs is useless.
So pros in engineering usually go with PCs (windows) if linux is not suitable.
Maybe I`m trying to be sarcastic :)
Macs has superior firewire support - no cheap buggy FW controllers.

Okay, just checking... that's not what the computer graphics guys I know tend to say, but I couldn't tell if you were responding to the original post or just talking about 3D modeling. I'd think that the biggest problems in 3D modeling would come from the realization that one is doing 3D modeling, not the OS, though.

Jeff

Macs has superior firewire support - no cheap buggy FW controllers.

There was a huge buzz about the cheapo Agere FW chip used in the Macbook/Pro/iMacs released between Oct 2007 - Feb 2008. They had catastrophic failures with FW interfaces. Barely anything worked with the Agere chip:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6757013
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/musi...ets-can-troublesome-okt-07-till-feb-08-a.html
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1475