Opinions of Manowar?

MaxWolf9

The Unshaven
Feb 16, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
www.myspace.com
I realize this may seem a bit off-topic, since this forum is supposed to be for discussions of Shadow Demon. But I'm actually really curious to hear the opinions of Shadow Demon's band members on this one, so hopefully it's not too out of place.

The topic? Manowar. What do you guys think about them? Not only as fans of metal music, but also as professional musicians in the same genre of the industry. Do you think their over-the-top themes, cover art, and public personas give some people the wrong impression about a genre of music that you'd rather was taken completely seriously? Or do you look at it as being all in good fun, and perhaps even as being a good counter-balance for the vast majority of bands out there who would never dream of doing anything less than "hardcore."

I had been marginally aware of Manowar for several years now, but never actually picked up one of their albums. I didn't know a great deal about them, but was definately a bit turned-off by their Renaissance-Fair-Style costumes, and album covers that resembled Conan-inspired wet dreams. In short, I thought they were pretty much a joke, and not worth the time to fully check out.

However, I noticed in passing recently that their latest album, "Gods of War", is heavily inspired by Norse Mythology. Which just so happens to be a major passion of mine. On the one hand, part of me cringed at the thought of what kind of treatment that subject might recieve at the hands of a band that I considered to be little more than a campy parody, but on the other hand, I felt compelled to check it out. So I listened to some samples of tracks off the album, and found myself... well, blown away. I'll be honest here, these guys really impressed me.

I've since purchased the album and listened to it several times. These guys even went so far as to write all the song lyrics in the CD booklet in Runic script. I thought that was pretty damn cool. And now I find myself completely reassessing the band. Rather than looking down on Manowar because of their over-the-top presentation, I'm actually starting to appreciate it as being all in good fun. Perhaps even likening them to the fire-breathing and blood-spitting antics of KISS.

What do you guys think about Manowar? Fans and fellow professionals alike. Do you think they help or hinder the genre?

I don't care for them, personally. Yeah, I think they are a joke. However, one cannot deny that the music they play is true metal. While one can make a point that they may actually be (or have become) a parody of themselves (and metal) I do not have a problem with them existing. :lol: I just can't get into their music (let alone their visual presentation). Their musicianship is excellent. They are one of those bands that, while I don't care for them, I get pissed when I hear other people say that the music is crap. It isn't. They are better than most of the shit bands that those who would ridicule them listen to.

I don't mind so much when bands present an outrageous image, if I like the music. I could do without it though. I think Hammerfall look ridiculous but I still enjoy their music. Same with a lot of black metal bands that wear corpse paint or even get more theatrical with their image. If I like the music I just become indifferent about the image.

For the record I don't care for KISS either.

Oh and as far as the impression they give of metal...I don't really care that much. I don't think adding a fun factor is a bad thing. It adds entertainment value. Skelator for example is fun to watch, but they don't go over the top and you can tell they are just enjoying themselves. Add the fact that the music kicks ass and you have a winning formula. I had some friends come to the last show we played with them who are not metalheads and they enjoyed their set. So I'd say they gave a positive impression of metal.

Their musicianship is excellent. They are one of those bands that, while I don't care for them, I get pissed when I hear other people say that the music is crap. It isn't. They are better than most of the shit bands that those who would ridicule them listen to.

I totally agree. I was really suprised by just how technically proficient they are. The lead singer has a truly epic vocal range, often hitting high notes that you don't witness too often outside the work of Kai Hansen. And their guitar work is also pretty damn complex.

I was listening to the album with a friend of mne, and she commented that if she didn't know any better, she would think she was listening to a classic metal act from the 70's or early 80's.

I've been getting way into these guys over the past year. I used to be in the same mindset that they're cheesy or whatever, and they are. I guess it honestly just comes down to being able to get over that whole cheesy stigma. I mean... let's face it, as Jeff illustrated, metal in general is cheesy.

Manowar is fun, but they have some just epic songs. Honestly, i haven't heard their new album, but from what i've heard from the manowar fans, it's a huge step down. I guess it has to do with the production just being too much. I don't know, but I'm not really interested in it. But with just about every Manowar album, you have to expect that there's a handful of amazing songs (which are always worth the price of admission), some good songs and a few that are just shit.

But yeah, great band. Fun times.

I don't think adding a fun factor is a bad thing. It adds entertainment value. Skelator for example is fun to watch, but they don't go over the top and you can tell they are just enjoying themselves. Add the fact that the music kicks ass and you have a winning formula. I had some friends come to the last show we played with them who are not metalheads and they enjoyed their set. So I'd say they gave a positive impression of metal.

Thanks a lot for the kind words there Jeff. But I don't know if you can say that wearing leather armor (which we're adding a bit more for future shows hehe) and raising a sword is not going over the top :lol:... but either way, it's all for fun. plus it fits lyrical themes of metal so *shrug*

By the way, Skelator was spelled wrong by us, not you :lol:

I didn't recall full on costumes but if you are going that route then I'll give you the "over the top" title. Yeah, the sword is definitely pushing it. :lol:

I originally spelled Skelator right which meant I spelled it wrong...I mean--I spelled it wrong which meant I spelled it right. Errm....

:lol:

But let's keep this on topic. I forgot to add that the first six albums are golden because of Ross the Boss's guitar work. He's incredible, and the solo for Hail and Kill remains one of my favorite guitar solos. Tons of feeling and badass-ness.

We're going to their festival this summer in Germany. Anyone else going? I too didn't initially like them, but I liked them better after seeing them actually perform. And yes, the Norse mythology is definitely a plus in my world.