Do you consider suicide a selfish act?

No I don't think it's selfish. It's very sad that people feel it is the only option for them, as I have been there before, and have felt that way, but now my life is good because I DIDN'T EVER GIVE UP!!!!!

Seems like you got a lot of good advice here. The fact that you are talking about your problems already makes it more likely that you can move beyond them, so keep talking, dude! I truly hope you can sort things out. Don't give up man, life has a lot of great things to offer, even if it may not seem that way right now...

I've never considerd suicide but when I feel down I think of things that I want to experience. That always makes me feel better, so try to think of someting and work for it.

Im such a hypocrite :p

Basically, Suicide isn't selfish..

But that doesn't mean you can't try and stop someone from doing it. Never let it go unquestioned. But, as Doug Stanhope says.. Life isn't for everyone.

The selfish act of suicide is to kill a friend of your friend (yourself)
There is no excuse for that.

I'd call a chemical imbalance in your brain, that doesn't allow you to think clearly, an acceptable excuse.

People who've never had severe mental disorders never seem to be able to grasp the fact that people in these kinds of situations CANNOT CONTROL THEIR URGES OR HOW THEY FEEL. And medication doesn't always help; many times, it only worsens the situation (as far as depression goes).

I have depression and an axiety disorder, and suffer from semi-frequent panic attacks. I've only seriosly considered suicide once in my life, and that was years ago with no attempt made, but that's probably because my depression isn't all that severe compared to my anxiety disorder.

I think I could compare suicidal urges to a panic attack, though. My panic attacks can come on from the simplest, stupidist things. For example: I'm sitting in a silent room, with friends I've known for years, watching a quiet part of a movie. My breathing is normal, but something registers in my head: my friends can hear me breathing. While this is happening, I KNOW that they probably can't, and even if they can, what's the big freakin' deal with that? Even though I KNOW this as it's happening, I still become incredibly self conscious. My heart rate and breathing increases dramatically, and I have to walk out of the room, take some xanax, and lay down before I go into a seizure.

I KNEW that the cause for the panic attack was stupid WHILE it was happening. It didn't change how I felt, though, and it didn't stop my body from reacting.

I think that you really need to seek some professional help. But advice from us forumites and Opeth fans helps as well. Anyway, I know that this may sound cheesy or out of place on a metal band forum, but religion, or faith, may offer some solace.

If you go through life with a negative outlook, it'll make you feel negative. But if you are positive, you'll feel positive.

If you do go seek professional help, like a suicide hotline, etc. make sure to go to it with a positive outlook. If you go into it thinking it'll fail, you'll believe it did fail.

I find a lot of comfort in my religion (Eastern Orthodox Christianity) and knowing that things might turn out for the better in this life or the next is a real comfort to me.

hang in there, things may turn out for the best,
:) KK

last November, a friend of mine blew his head off with a 45, we think it was over his X girl, plus his dad had cancer. No one could tell he was depressed, he seemed happy but he drank a bottle of jack daniels every night. I think that led him to be even more depressed, until he lost it one night in a drunken stupor... they found him with the gun in one hand, and an open cell phone in the other hand. His best friend cleaned up his blood and remains.

Basically, Suicide isn't selfish..

But that doesn't mean you can't try and stop someone from doing it. Never let it go unquestioned. But, as Doug Stanhope says.. Life isn't for everyone.

Doug Stanhope is wrong, life is for everyone, that's why they're born, so they can live.

I think that you really need to seek some professional help. But advice from us forumites and Opeth fans helps as well. Anyway, I know that this may sound cheesy or out of place on a metal band forum, but religion, or faith, may offer some solace.

If you go through life with a negative outlook, it'll make you feel negative. But if you are positive, you'll feel positive.

If you do go seek professional help, like a suicide hotline, etc. make sure to go to it with a positive outlook. If you go into it thinking it'll fail, you'll believe it did fail.

I find a lot of comfort in my religion (Eastern Orthodox Christianity) and knowing that things might turn out for the better in this life or the next is a real comfort to me.

hang in there, things may turn out for the best,
:) KK

This sounds rather stupid to me and selfish. If things are negative, then you should feel negative. If people around you are miserable because they have real problems, why should I feel happy all the time? Things don't always turn out for the better, and taking a realistic attitude towards that fact can make people want to fix things rather than smiling to yourself while chomping on candy and masturbating while enjoying your ipod and 50 inch TV.

This sounds rather stupid to me and selfish. If things are negative, then you should feel negative. If people around you are miserable because they have real problems, why should I feel happy all the time? Things don't always turn out for the better, and taking a realistic attitude towards that fact can make people want to fix things rather than smiling to yourself while chomping on candy and masturbating while enjoying your ipod and 50 inch TV.

I don't think you're reading the post in the right context. While it's probably an overly simple post, we're talking about suicide here. His post isn't against a realistic outlook whatsoever. A large part of a realistic outlook is thinking positively. Just as you say things don't always turn out for the better, they also don't always turn out for the worse. Life tends to split even, and if you can get to the point where you see life as a glass half full, I think you're alright. No, you don't want to be obliviously happy. It's unrealistic, just as being obliviously miserable is.

Whether or not suicide is a selfish act, I have no idea.. I guess that might depend on your responsibilities/commitments or whatever..
However it's definitely not a 'cowardly' thing, imagine the courage it would take to go that final step.
(not that I approve..)

Way I see it, so many people who want to live on have their lives cut short, best to honour those by living on yourself :)

^Which is nothing compared to the courage needed to regain your will to live.

BTW I'm not sure if this thread is a evidence that we SHOULD have an Off-Topic section, or that we shouldn't.

EDIT: Alright. This is the defining factor:

If you kill yourself, you can't listen to Opeth anymore end of story.