Do you know someone who likes Opeth more than Isis?

changso

Neverending dreamer...
Apr 11, 2002
Visit site
I talk of people who can understand both bands on a musical and lyrical level.

I mean, praticly everyone I know (about 5-6 persons) who're really into both Opeth and Isis tend to like Isis more...

I myself purchased new new Isis album Oceanic and the material is REALLY, I mean REALLY brilliant. Even though, I personnaly like opeth more...

I love both bands, but I like Opeth more.

"Oceanic" is Isis' first truly great album (and it IS amazing...) whereas Opeth has been amazing from day one.

To all of you Opeth fans curious, definitely get "Oceanic". It is monumental, gorgeous, brutal, and completely epic. Totally worth it.

Originally posted by Nugent Goes AOL
I love both bands, but I like Opeth more.

"Oceanic" is Isis' first truly great album (and it IS amazing...) whereas Opeth has been amazing from day one.

To all of you Opeth fans curious, definitely get "Oceanic". It is monumental, gorgeous, brutal, and completely epic. Totally worth it.

i think everything ISIS have done is godly.

i do know someone who likes opeth more than isis: my mom. except she hasn't heard much isis, and hasn't heard Oceanic yet.

To me, the vocals sound alittle bit strange though...at a point I simply can't understand what the vocalist is saying...even with the lyrics in the booklet, I can't track the lyrics from what I hear...so I don't quite know what the songs are about...
Can someone fill me with it...O'blivion?

Originally posted by O'blivion
i think everything ISIS have done is godly.

Maybe I haven't heard enough...I have Oceanic and Celestial. I love Celestial, don't get me wrong, but Oceanic was the first time Isis ever made me say, "Holy shit...this is un-fucking-believable"...on the level that I feel when I listen to favorites like Opeth and Tool.

Any other Isis releases that are better than Celestial? Or is it just my tastes?

Originally posted by changso
To me, the vocals sound alittle bit strange though...at a point I simply can't understand what the vocalist is saying...even with the lyrics in the booklet, I can't track the lyrics from what I hear...so I don't quite know what the songs are about...
Can someone fill me with it...O'blivion?

yes, this is intentional. the vocals are used as an instrument more than anything. eventually, you'll see the emotional pull of them. chances are, the lyrics printed don't coorespond to what's actually being said. they are presented in a long line of thoughts, without break, or an indication or what track what lyrics belong to. i assume they are a poetic reflection of the music. like i mentionned in the other thread, ISIS are all about letting go. you have to give yourself up to the music. all the meaning you are searching for is right there in the music, just let go. the whole point of music is to communicate ideas through sound. lyrics are often just filler for weak material.

How is ISIS live, O'blivion? I've heard good things.

I have a ticket to see them with Fantomas/Melvins, Tomahawk, Dalek, and Skeleton Key on Halloween in NYC. I haven't looked this foward to a concert in a VERY long time...I have CD's of every band playing and they are all great. :headbang:

Maybe I haven't heard enough...I have Oceanic and Celestial. I love Celestial, don't get me wrong, but Oceanic was the first time Isis ever made me say, "Holy shit...this is un-fucking-believable"...on the level that I feel when I listen to favorites like Opeth and Tool.

Any other Isis releases that are better than Celestial? Or is it just my tastes?

Celestial is harder to immerse yourself in, because there is so much going on in the low end. if you are in the right frame of mind, Celestial can be the most beautiful thing you will ever hear.

SGNL>5, the companion EP to Celestial is an expansion of the themes presented in the album. Red Sea and Mosquito Control are nearly on par with Celestial.

How is ISIS live, O'blivion? I've heard good things.

I have a ticket to see them with Fantomas/Melvins, Tomahawk, Dalek, and Skeleton Key on Halloween in NYC. I haven't looked this foward to a concert in a VERY long time...I have CD's of every band playing and they are all great. :headbang:

bastard!!!! well ISIS don't bother coming to western Canada... so, after the concert, you can tell ME what they are like live. Fantomas live must be crazy. maybe a road trip is in hand.

You should totally come...that's the week of the CMJ music festival. I am seeing Sigur Ros, Dillinger Escape Plan, Pig Destroyer, and all the bands I mentioned above in the span of 3 nights. I'm way excited.

If not, I hope Isis makes their way up to you soon!

Sigur Ros and DEP are playing at the same festival? that is so defextory! if it wasn't for school i'd be there... *sigh*

Originally posted by O'blivion
yes, this is intentional. the vocals are used as an instrument more than anything. eventually, you'll see the emotional pull of them. chances are, the lyrics printed don't coorespond to what's actually being said. they are presented in a long line of thoughts, without break, or an indication or what track what lyrics belong to. i assume they are a poetic reflection of the music. like i mentionned in the other thread, ISIS are all about letting go. you have to give yourself up to the music. all the meaning you are searching for is right there in the music, just let go. the whole point of music is to communicate ideas through sound. lyrics are often just filler for weak material.

Thanks for the advices...I'm working on it :)

Isis are fantastic, I´ve only got Oceanic but thats the first album in a while that I can play from start to finish without skipping a song. For a while I listend to the album two three time a day.