Mikael's honesty appreciation thread...

ElectricWiz

Steal Your Face
Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
You know? I was thinking the other day that the updates on the official site are always refreshingly forthcoming. Really, most bands (especially big bands like, say, Maiden (whom I love)) kind of put a PR slant on everything. Whenever Opeth cancels a gig though, or some similar thing, Mike says right up front, you know..."It was too expensive..." or, lately even, "...nervous breakdown". I mean...most bands aren't that honest, or just, humble is the word maybe. So, hat's off to that. I've never been one to think a band owes me anything...but Mikael's attitude kinda raises the bar on that for me. All bands should be so humble and down to earth. I met Aaron Turner from Isis a few months ago...and he was the same. Extreeeemely regular guy. That I appreciate, much more than somebody who seems to know they are a "rockstar". People are really really devoted to Opeth, but Mikael almost doesn't seem to know that, or at least handles it well.
Just, cool is all....

Too much ego can kill you, especially if you're a 'rock star'. I think Mikael is doing what's supposed to be done. So if anything, I more dissapointed in the majority of other bands than I am appreciative of Opeth. But good for them. :)

I've always thought of Mike as a fan of music then a writer/genius. He does those things out what he would want a band to do for him. One thing I've always hated about bands is that some don't even pay attention to the scene or care about their influences after they become popular. Mike continues to listen up, so he prolly doesn't see what the fuss is about his band when there is so much good music out there. Their still my all-time fave and I don't care what Mike thinks!!

I met Mike the first time I saw em and he seemed just as excited about touring with PT as I was to see them together which was an awesome feeling. The second show was when I got to talk to Peter for quite a while. Peter has to be the nicest guy ever. He took the time to sign our memorabilia shit and then chat about our musical tastes. Totally blew me away with his character.

From what I've heard, Mike is a very nice guy. Too bad I'll probably never have the pleasure of meeting him. I'm not worthy!

I agree to what's been said: the honesty on the official site deserves credit, as does the way the band acts.

Met 'em a few times and they have always struck me as great guys, which, for me, makes the band and the music even greater. For some reason the attitude of a band is a big factor for me to like the music :). Maybe I want to support the good guys out there, as there are too many of the bad ones (preacher inspired - the comic book). Hmm. Anyway. They deserve much praise for their attitude, and for their music; both shine when they perform live.

I too appreciate the forthright updates. No PR spin BS. Opeth does a good job keeping the focus on the music, not image, marketing, attitude, histrionics, etc.
One part of that integrity is speaking to its fans as peers. (though I must admit his stage banter can sound a little patronizing at times, but not in a way I find obnoxious)