Do you know someone who likes Opeth more than Isis?

I managed to scavenge a couple songs off Oceanic from web sites. The lumbering pace and layered melody and counterpoint is very nice. Kind of like a more rich Neurosis with different themes (as a rough comparison). I can't understand a thing the guy says, though. Not like that's ever stopped me. I'll probably get Oceanic sometime if I can afford it. It.. sounds like the ocean somehow.

I got 2 Isis songs off KaZaa... I've been trying to force it into my head (as I tried with Novembre) but currently I can't even COMPARE them to Opeth as Opeth seem leagues and leagues ahead...

Isis, to me, sounds like nu-metal... droning riffs, no real progression... it's boring... and the vocals also turn me off the music... they seem to just be 'there' for the sake of it.

Don't you just hate it when everyone's hyped about something and when you finally try it you don't care for it?

Originally posted by Moonlapse
Yeah I see all these threads out of nowhere like 'Would you even compare Opeth to these guys?' and when I grab a few songs, the band totally fuckin reaks.

I went to the store yesterday and picked up Oceanic because of this thread. Now after a listen I CAN'T beleive that people are even putting them in the same sentence with Opeth!

It's a good thing that I can return this disc for store credit!

I've heard a lot about Isis on a lot of different forums...

I listened to the track and it does seem to have some merit... however, I don't think it compares to anything Opeth has done. Sounds like it's almost an entirely different genre and style of music. Really hard to even compare. One track is hardly doing Isis justice, though... so I'm going to refrain from bashing them.
I'll have to try to find some more songs. Thanks for the recommendation.

Liquid Tension: Geez, see if it grows on you...

I just got oceanic, only listened to it twice so far.. it's not comparable to opeth whatsoever, completely different. so dont expect that... I dont know why people are doing that. It's not as amazing as these threads make it seem, but I'm gonna listen to it a lot more and keep getting the urge to listen to it.. it will most likely grow on me.

Originally posted by IcemanJ256
Liquid Tension: Geez, see if it grows on you...

There's really no need to since the vocals are so BAD and if I want to listen to something like this band then I can grab some of the many other cdsfrom bands that play this style of music. Good luck with your quest and I hope that you find it worth while to keep listening to it.

I listened to the entire about 10 times up to now...
I began to like it after 7 or 8th time...
Don't give up guys...Isis takes alot of time to be absorbed. Even though, I still rank Opeth way ahead Isis.

Originally posted by Liquid Tension
I went to the store yesterday and picked up Oceanic because of this thread. Now after a listen I CAN'T beleive that people are even putting them in the same sentence with Opeth!

It's a good thing that I can return this disc for store credit!

AHAHAHAHAHA... dude, don't be a hypocrite. you just condemned satori for doing the same thing, did you not? you have no idea how much this made me laugh.

i agree about falling into hype, though. i bought Dream Theater's Scenes From a Memory based on a lot of hype. the first time i listened to it i thought it was an utter piece of shit. but i persisted and gave it ten or fifteen more chances. upon each listen it sounded worse and worse. then it came to a point where i realized DT has the songwriting abilities of a boiled turnip. so i gave up. the difference here is i actually gave it more than one chance.

i also agree that Opeth and ISIS shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence. anyone who has an understanding of musical theory would notice that ISIS far outclass Opeth as composers. don't get me wrong, i love Opeth, but Mike has said himself that he just makes up riffs on his guitar, writes down words to remember them by, and then amalgamates these ideas into songs. some people find it hard to get into Opeth's earlier material because of this. it could come across as merely a collection of riffs randomly placed together, often without any thematic structure at all. ISIS, especially on Oceanic, display an amazing ability to manipulate and build on themes, and in that respect, what they play is closer to classical music than anything. the musical approaches of these two bands is so different that comparing them any further would be futile.

What do you mean by themes? Are you talking about lyrical concept? If there's more to them than I hear, at least I want to keep giving them a chance... but all I'm hearing is the same droning lines looping back and forth and barely audible singing that seems to just add to the crescendo.

Originally posted by O'blivion
AHAHAHAHAHA... dude, don't be a hypocrite. you just condemned satori for doing the thing did you not? you have no idea how much this made me laugh.

I knew that someone was going to veiw me as a hypocrite and I'm glad that I made you laugh! I've purchased this disc and sat home with the head phones on and the booklet open while listening to it. This is no where near the same as sampling a few songs at the store! I agree that sometimes a cd take many listens before the "magic" is recognized and I'm sorry to say that it will not happen on this disc for me. I bought it because of all the positive things said out here and I'm disappointed that this band is no where near Opeth's attitude in song writing and when you group that in with the horrible vocal style I'm not interested.

Enjoy the disc as many times as you want...... :D