People who liked Opeth and now don't

Innbydelse said:
i like all the albums

some more than others. and i will admit that i do miss the layering of riffs on Still Life. you just dont see that anymore on D1 or D2 or BWP(exception:The Drapery Falls.....lots of layers there). but i still feel the albums are great.
I think that the song Blackwater Park, has one of the most subtle and awesome guitar layerings ever.... throughout nearly all of the huge heavy part after the quiet part which is probably Opeths most intense passage of music ever, there are these two acoustic chords strummed in the same way over and over again... most of the time you arent paying attention and don't even notice them, but you know they are there. Then you hear them by themselves for a brief moment before launching back into the chaos. These two simple barely heard chords buried in the song add so much and you barely notice it. Its absolutely brilliant, I think overall that song is better layered then anything off of Still Life, its also definately my favorite Opeth song.

The problem I have with the D's is that both albums sound extremely forced, especially Deliverance. They find a riff and repeat it too much or whole parts of the song just sound tired and uninspired. They, as in Mike, were trying to hard to fit into what they said they were going to release. They're better at being Opeth than they are at trying to be a heavy or a mellow band.

Its hard to believe that people do not like Opeth's 3rd through 7th cds... If anything, they are much better musicians now. Regardless they're still pretty amazing to me.. I still don't understand what the big deal about Orchid is, I guess it all comes down to personal taste.

I used to feel quite the same about Orchid and even Morningrise. I got into Morningrise first, and for a while it rivalled MAYH and SL as my favourite album, but recently Orchid is the only album that can really hold my interest. There's somethng about it... if you don't like it, my advice is not to give up. Just keep listening to it, and either one song at a time or as a whole, it will come to you. Right now, I especially like In Mist She Was Standing, Forest of October and The Twilight Is My Robe. How can people say that Mike's clean voice was hardly more than whispers on Orchid? I think it was great.

I like all of Opeth's tunes. Some more than others, but I like it all.

Although, in my honest opinion, everything from 'My Arms, Your Hearse' onward, is superior to 'Orchid' and 'Morningrise'. I think that's because of healthy progression, not getting more commercial. You can tell they've got a better grasp on their instruments, song-writing, production... it's artistic progression. You can forget all the "selling out" shit. Because I have yet to hear anything by Opeth on mainstream radio. Not even shit off 'Damnation', they're most accessible album to date.

I can honestly say that they're getting better and better with every release, and I can't wait for the next album...

Oh, and.. I just signed up. My name's Andrew...
:wave:

Ceaseless Lament said:
I like all of Opeth's tunes. Some more than others, but I like it all.

Although, in my honest opinion, everything from 'My Arms, Your Hearse' onward, is superior to 'Orchid' and 'Morningrise'. I think that's because of healthy progression, not getting more commercial. You can tell they've got a better grasp on their instruments, song-writing, production... it's artistic progression. You can forget all the "selling out" shit. Because I have yet to hear anything by Opeth on mainstream radio. Not even shit off 'Damnation', they're most accessible album to date.

I can honestly say that they're getting better and better with every release, and I can't wait for the next album...

Oh, and.. I just signed up. My name's Andrew...
:wave:
I don't speak about selling out , and the first three are my favs by far