People who liked Opeth and now don't

My Arms Your Hearse is my favourite album. The only album I do not own by Opeth is Still Life so I don't want to say anything about it.

My least favourite album would be Deliverance, it is kinda repetitive. I love Damnation, regardless of anything you people say.
Blackwater Park was my first real taste of Opeth, from then I started liking Opeth alot. Go ahead call me a n00b just because I'm a sucker for songwriting with catchy melodies and flowing songwriting.

I don't really know what my point to posting this is... But, listen to what you want, stop complaining if you don't like it, and don't diss other people because they don't have the same tastes as you do. Thank you very much, that post made no sense

Well Damnation is brilliant. I listen to it more then anything else. So hey.
My first exposure to Opeth was BWP, solid death metal with that Opeth twist. I think Orchid is great. The others I don't really listen to very often.
I am sure there are many Opeth fans who love the band but have them on a pretty low rotation on their playlist. I am one of those. Great band but so are many, many others.
My latest favourite album Is Steely Dan's latest. Great stuff. Don't be too precious about metal. Most of the intelligent bands that play it realise its place in the fucked up musical universe we live in.
They dig it they love it and try to make a living. And maybe along the way some truly remarkable art happens.

The first four are the only worth while releases, with the first two being the only essential ones.

The band should call it quits.

LuminousAether said:
Sadly, Opeth's best material by far was on their first three albums. Still Life was almost intolerably boring, Blackwater Park was horridly inconsistent, and the two 'D's are just boring as fuck.

I have to agree with this.

heh, BWP is my favourite one. I mean it has Leper Affinity, Bleak, Harvest, Drapery Falls, Dirge for November (!), Funeral portrait, Patterns in the ivy, Blackwater Park!! wtf!!??

;)

Opeth is one of my favorite bands...BUT...the Damnation album lacks a very simple thing that helped make all their other albums so interesting...CONTRAST! The range from mellow, sing-songy yet dark to full on heavy with sub-woofer type vocals was probably my favorite thing about Opeth. Without the heavy the mellow doesnt sound as good! CONTRAST! bleh...disappointed here..BWP my favorite by the way.

yourdeadgroom said:
IMO, Still Life is where Opeth began to be predictable. The songs started having repeated parts, choruses, and stuff, and you can pretty much pick where the acoustic sections are gonna be before you get there etc. This is not present on the first 3 albums. Yeah, MAYH is very different from the first 2 albums, but it still has a sense of taking you on a journey and you don't know where you're going next. Sure, it's got a more solid structure than the first 2, but it's less tightly structured than the albums that follow it.
And I think SL, BWP, and D1 are all of a reasonably similar style/formula (not saying they sound the same, but the compositional approach is the same), so it's appropriate for them to be separated from MAYH. Maybe instead of thinking that we're grouping the first 3 albums, think of it more like we're grouping the last few albums, which leaves us with the first 3 albums on their own :)

well done defense

this is a lot better than "the first three are the best!! the others suck!!"

Wow, I had no idea so many people thought this way.

I don't understand at all.

How is Blackwater Park possibly boring or bad? I think it is their best work to date. The perfect blend of everything that is Opeth.

Deliverance rocked and Damnation was great for what it was, and don't forget they wanted those released as one album.

Are metalhead stereotypes really that alive here? A band changes at all, or doesn't produce the exact music that YOU want to hear and they suck now?

I don't get it.

buchkoba00 said:
Are metalhead stereotypes really that alive here? A band changes at all, or doesn't produce the exact music that YOU want to hear and they suck now?
I don't think that's quite what everyone is saying :) Of course I can only speak for myself, but I'm still an Opeth fan, I still buy their albums and enjoy them, and will continue to do so. I don't dislike recent albums because Opeth changed per se, but the Opeth of the last few albums is not the Opeth that I fell in love with. Thier music has changed, and it's changed into something I find less enjoyable. It's not a question of if it changed or not, it's just I don't find the current direction to be that exciting. Obviously, just because a band releases a couple of albums that you love, doesn't mean you're going to feel the same way about everything they release. This isn't stereotype, or being narrow-minded, infact quite the opposite. Our evaluation of the music is open-minded enough for us to recognise that there are some albums some of us don't particularly care for. It would be narrow minded of us to continue to drool over everything Opeth releases, even though it's not that good (in our opinion). That's not to say that if you love every release, that you are narrow minded :) Musical taste is all down to the opinions of the individual, if you like something, great, if you don't, that's fine too, but you shouldn't need to pretend that you do like it :)

yourdeadgroom said:
I don't think that's quite what everyone is saying :) Of course I can only speak for myself, but I'm still an Opeth fan, I still buy their albums and enjoy them, and will continue to do so. I don't dislike recent albums because Opeth changed per se, but the Opeth of the last few albums is not the Opeth that I fell in love with. Thier music has changed, and it's changed into something I find less enjoyable. It's not a question of if it changed or not, it's just I don't find the current direction to be that exciting. Obviously, just because a band releases a couple of albums that you love, doesn't mean you're going to feel the same way about everything they release. This isn't stereotype, or being narrow-minded, infact quite the opposite. Our evaluation of the music is open-minded enough for us to recognise that there are some albums some of us don't particularly care for. It would be narrow minded of us to continue to drool over everything Opeth releases, even though it's not that good (in our opinion). That's not to say that if you love every release, that you are narrow minded :) Musical taste is all down to the opinions of the individual, if you like something, great, if you don't, that's fine too, but you shouldn't need to pretend that you do like it :)
OK I guess I can't argue with that. :)

But I have seen posts to the effect of "Opeth were sweet then I got Blackwater Park, half way through the title track I knew it was the first Opeth song I hated, what a shit cd."

That's just re-dick-u-la-tarded.

LuminousAether said:
Sadly, Opeth's best material by far was on their first three albums. Still Life was almost intolerably boring, Blackwater Park was horridly inconsistent, and the two 'D's are just boring as fuck. Sorry, but I have no more hope for Opeth.

Still Life intolerably boring ?????? I can´t understand you........its so.....so....perfect o_O

yourdeadgroom said:
*more applause*

opeths best CD by FAR is morningrise, the rest isn't even CLOSE. The people who disagree just haven't listened to morningrise as much as the others.