People who liked Opeth and now don't

Maybe

Freedom Fighter
Jun 23, 2003
Austin, TX
You know who I mean: the people who were into, say, the first three albums, and then dropped out, claiming whatever reason as their motive for "leaving" the fanbase.

How much resentment is stored up among you guys for people like this? Are they seen as traitors to the cause?

Or is there something to the thought that Opeth's best work was really done on the first three albums?

Will Opeth continue to get more and more commercial sounding?

Well, they're not really getting more commericial sounding, damnation aside, just getting more money to spend on production, I wouldn't exactly call wreath commericial.

I personally rate still life and MAYH as the two best opeth albums, merely because the content of the albums since then has been a little less dark and sorrowful... and before then was about forests.

i can see some people preferring orchid and morningrise to the other stuff... the twists and turns are cool, although mainly brought about by poor arrangements. as mikael gets better at developing themes throughout a song, so some of that unpredictability is lost.

an album is an album is an album- there needn't be animosity if people liked early opeth and now don't like em. same for those who like the later stuff best- i thought damnation was wonderful, and deliverance damn good stuff, and i'm looking forward to seeing where they progress next, not least now there's a new member on board!

Yeah I thought Orchid and Morningrise were pretty inconsistent, who's to say Mikael didn't mean it? I don't know.

To me the stops and starts seem abit too abrupt to be meant for. I like all the albums for different reasons, but my favourite will always be MAYH.

fps said:
i can see some people preferring orchid and morningrise to the other stuff... the twists and turns are cool, although mainly brought about by poor arrangements. as mikael gets better at developing themes throughout a song, so some of that unpredictability is lost.

an album is an album is an album- there needn't be animosity if people liked early opeth and now don't like em. same for those who like the later stuff best- i thought damnation was wonderful, and deliverance damn good stuff, and i'm looking forward to seeing where they progress next, not least now there's a new member on board!
new member?

I wouldn't call Steve Wilson new, and Per Wilburg is just filling in for him :D
what do you know that I don't? :)

i personly love both the D's. D1 is one of Opeths stongest heavy material and Damntion to be a sucessful expariment. But i dont know the hype around Orcid and Morningrise? they ha some cool harmonies and beutiful acousik parts, but Mike vocals were horrible and the song were horidly structured. Opeth are progressing as a band, no matter how much people like Izzy Junior hate it.

Sadly, Opeth's best material by far was on their first three albums. Still Life was almost intolerably boring, Blackwater Park was horridly inconsistent, and the two 'D's are just boring as fuck. Sorry, but I have no more hope for Opeth.

I think they are one of the few consistent bands, who re-invent yet stay true to their sound and come up with refreshing ideas in music, and they have immense talent.

Their consistency is what makes them that damn good.

I don't really care if people like Opeth or not after the first three albums. I got Orchid back in 1996 and liked it a bit. Then I got Still Life a few years later. Loved it. Listened more to Orchid. Bought the other albums, enjoyed them as well. BWP was pretty good, as was D1 and D2, but there is a certain inflation in the sound. Though it is bearable, considering that the music is really good anyway.

So, if people never liked Opeth at all, I still don't care. I liked them and I still do.

Well, I only reeeally like the first 3 albums, though I still buy their albums (except for Damnation, and I sold BWP a while ago) and consider myself an Opeth fan, they just don't blow me away like they used to. So I have no problem with people that have left their fanbase :D (and I wouldn't have a problem with them anyway, even if I thought Opeth were the best band on the planet- musical taste is all just opinions anyway)

Ever since Blackwater Park the material has started seeing less and less of those layers of sound we're used to from Opeth and more of just the one straight melody, thus kind of making the music stale. Deliverance is a good example of this.

@LuminousAether: I agree for the most part, but no, Still Life is certainly not boring.. if you take the time to listen, you see more going on in one riff in Still Life than there is in the majority of their other albums in their whole :lol:. Still Life is unbelievably layered, the riffs are intricate and extremely hard to comprehend all at once when listening by ear. The album fits beautifully, the melodies are quite complicated yet they remain quite trademark of Opeth and I think it really serves to make it their most ornate album.

Mr. Shred-ididle said:
i personly love both the D's. D1 is one of Opeths stongest heavy material and Damntion to be a sucessful expariment. But i dont know the hype around Orcid and Morningrise? they ha some cool harmonies and beutiful acousik parts, but Mike vocals were horrible and the song were horidly structured. Opeth are progressing as a band, no matter how much people like Izzy Junior hate it.
personly => personally
stongest => strongest
Opeths => Opeth's
D's => Ds
Damntion => Damnation
sucessful => successful
expariment => experiment
dont => don't
Orcid => Orchid
beutiful => beautiful
horidly => horridly

is english your first language?