Do You Like Any Bands Only Live?

MetalManCPA

Papa Opeth
May 19, 2001
Visit site
Are there any bands that you could see live over and over, but you wouldn't waste money buying an album on?

Honestly, it usually only works in reverse for me - plenty of bands I like on the album, but don't like live.

Originally posted by metalmancpa
Are there any bands that you could see live over and over, but you wouldn't waste money buying an album on?

Honestly, it usually only works in reverse for me - plenty of bands I like on the album, but don't like live.

Really?! You don't like the bands live?! I don't see how that
works! Hehe... I haven't been to all THAT many shows yet I
guess. I just feel privileged to get to see a band live.... :eek:)

But, Therion.... I hadn't paid much attention to them....
There's something about Therion that just makes me not
listen much to them, even though I like their music.
But, seeing them live opened my ears and mind! :eek:) It's a
pity it'll be a REALLY long time til the next time I'll get the
chance to see them.... :eek:/

Well, there's a local band her, InGlow. They are quite ok live,
but I hate their demo.... Hehe....

Originally posted by Blackspirit

Really?! You don't like the bands live?! I don't see how that
works! Hehe... I haven't been to all THAT many shows yet I
guess. I just feel privileged to get to see a band live.... :eek:)

A lot of it has to do with technical issues - sound board, volume, etc. I like good sound - and I am too many times dissapointed at what I hear at live shows.

I think it's cool that I've seen so many bands - but I like to listen to music - hear every note with clarity. So many live shows just want to pump up the volume to drown out the crowd noise (IMO). I find that unenjoyable.

I'm not a 'concert' kind of person.... I hate the atmosphere and the moshing. I would prefer to sit on a seat in front of the band and attentatively listen to what they have to say and how they play the songs live...

Faith No More is the craziest concert I have ever been to, there were people being thrown over balcony's into the mosh and then getting crushed, then getting dragged back up the top to do it all again. Fuck.

I used to like Rusted Root a lot, and I've seen them 6 times. I don't listen to the CDs anymore, but I would definitely go see them again. Every type of person -- black, white, gay, straight, male, female, old, young, etc -- all dancing like no one's watching. It's great. :)

i have seen a couple of bands i can't stand listening at home:
Mayhem (Lies,i adore the "a grand declaration of war album",but hmm never listened to older stuff at home)
Kreator
Marduk (which totally BLEW ME AWAY....ok,lies again,i love their early stuff,but can't stand listening to their latest when not live)

Lorde of All Desires. At Milwaukee 2000 they put on one of the best BM shows I've EVER seen. They took the stage and thrashed. No cheesy BM stuff, just guys bringing the metal! It was amazing, and that guy could sing his ass off as well. Then I heard their recordings. Its all with high mixed frilly keys, and just not that good. Oh well. Maybe it was because there was no keys live, but it ruled!