Do you make a living out of recording and mixing music?

• Yes, I do.

Votes: 15 20.3%
  • No, I don't.

Votes: 41 55.4%
  • Partly.

Votes: 18 24.3%

• Total voters

LBTM

Proud Behringer User
Feb 19, 2012

Doing this for the last 4 years or so and it turns out I will have my own studio soon!

id say the most important part and what makes bands spread the word is producing the shit out of everything you can get your hands on. if a song is not a hit, ill make it a hit. ill rewrite the lyrics, add synths, write a better chorus, even sing essesss or backing vocals. you got to offer the whole package nowadays. and i like working on music.
if i just pressed record and opened up my ezmixer + ozone cllipper... none of the bands i worked with would have ever recommended me to their fellas. i love my job.

DCB: I agree 100% but you have to understand that most engineers/mixers are not musicians or producers. You have a much better vision and understanding of music than 99% of all people I've ever worked with - along with your vocal and guitar skills. So that makes it possible for you to think like you do. If you only know the technical side of things, you'll be limited.

It's the only thing I earn from at the moment, and has been for a while already. Though mostly my money comes from jobless benefits currently, formerly it was student benefits; thus I answered partly. Gotta love living in a welfare state! That being said, I'm searching for a part-time job or a place to intern at though, the benefits get cut from gig payments and as the latter gets paid whenever, it's an annoying hassle. And with just the benefits I don't get enough money to eat, it just barely covers my rent and internet bills.

I don't just record and mix though, I also do FOH and play guitar and all kinds of stuff, anything that pays. I don't really even intend to be doing just recording and mixing in the future either, my interests are more diverse. The coolest thing I can imagine at the moment would be to get employed by a small video game company, to twiddle with vo recording, music and sound design.

Its really tough from my place to earn...
even the professional studio's are off not getting any project
so its def a no...
still im sacrificing
doing work for free.. to spread my name
i hope one day i can earn good like all of you :)