Do you smoke?

• Yes

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 33 67.3%
  • When I drink

Votes: 3 6.1%

• Total voters
I can't change my vote, but I just smoked my last cigarette in a pack and I think it's high time I quit. It's quite possible that I am no longer a smoker. The cigarette I just had was the only one I've had all day and it was quite gross. I think I'm done with it.

Smoking is something you do to get from point A to point B, and in the weekends, point C. I always walk around listening to my discman having a smoke. I'm just used to doing it. Any fantasies about being cool from doing it have long since evaporated.

chapion ruby (rollies) or winfield blues.

Originally posted by Claire's Horror
not that I'm trying to justify anything, but some of the biggest math brains and writers of our time do smoke. nicotine is an excellent aid to concentration.

oi, also i'm studying advanced maths at uni & came like 11th in the state in the top level of maths (4 unit) at high school...but then again, most of my friends who smoke aren't...

I shudder at the thought of what array of nasty chemicals and addictives are being added to tobacco to make it "taste good" and to be able to inhale without choking. It's got to be quite the chemical cocktail cuz if you tried to smoke tobacco as it grows you would find it very difficult and highly unpleasant and you'd probably puke up a lung or something cuz it's so incredibly harsh and awful.

My sister once worked as a tobacco picker one summer. As everyone probably knows, tobacco is so toxic that if you picked it with your bare hands you'd get extremely sick and maybe even die from nicotine poisoning (burning tobacco actually destroys most of the nicotine btw). Anyway, it's mandatory for tobacco pickers to wear thick gloves, and on this farm the employees had to supply their own gloves. So on her first day my sister showed up with gloves she bought but it turns out they were too thin cuz after about 3 hours of picking she started to get extremely ill, dizzy, and puking (nicotine poisoning). Some farm workers and her boss rushed her to the hospital cuz she was convulsing and shit. She stayed in the hospital for 2 full days and then they released her and she went home and recovered for an additional 2 days, during most of that time she was so sick she could hardly eat anything. It's interesting to note that she was a smoker and so she already had a lot of tolerance built up for this drug after years of taking it. She was sick as a dog for 4 days, imagine what it would have done to a non-smoker with no tolerance.. scary thought.

Satori

PS: It is theorized that the reason some plants evolved to contain nicotine is as a protection mechanism, if an animal (or most insects) feed on plants containing this molecule they die a pretty quick death. It's just like why poison ivy is poison, and why even some small animals (like some frogs) manufacture toxic compounds in their bodies, it's to avoid being eaten. I think nature is trying to tell us something here :rolleyes: