Do you still buy CDs even though Spotify has a huge selection of niche metal?

$10 a month and there's no commercials, a huge selection of stuff we all listen to (ALOT of niche metal, to the point that I only use Spotify for music now and have very rarely been disappointed in finding a band or album I want to hear), plus unlimited skips, no mandatory shuffle playing, its pretty sweet.

EDIT: And $10 a month is not bad for that kind of unlimited metal. $120 a year, and occasionally free months. I could spend $120 right now at Sevared or something easily. Its a good deal. Seriously guys, if you can't afford physical copies, don't collect, or lost all your shit to an evil Mexican woman during a break up, then try it out yo.

Yeah this is exactly why I am a premium subscriber and have been for at least a couple of years. Plus being able to listen to any music I want on my mobile phone without having to worry about syncing it is a god send.

Unfortunately aside from a couple overpriced music stores, the only places to get rarities locally are Savers/Goodwill (can be good, but often crap and you have to deal with stolen CDs all the time), and garage sales which aren't always worth the effort. I wish I lived in a more hip and music-appreciating city.

All these.

When I see that the younger generation of music fans are content with digital (I'm 43, getting old!), and don't get to experience the full joy of going into a music store and perusing through the latest cassettes/CDs/vinyl - that makes me shed a little metal tear. Hah! I'd urge you to find the closest indie shop that sells second hand stuff, and support them as often as you can. Just go in, not looking for anything in particular, and go hunting. It's an awesome time if you enjoy, realllly enjoy, your music.

Seriously, for those of us that started listening pre-digital/internet - I'd be shocked to hear anyone say that those weren't the best music days of our lives. There's no greater (music listening) experience than finding something kick ass (not knowing it at the time), taking it home, cracking it open, and reading through the liner notes/lyrics while listening for the first time. Amazing feeling.

There is so much music out these days it's overwhelming, literally. I can't keep up, and I like to say I try. It's impossible. With that said, I sometimes do wish it weren't so easy to find new stuff with the Internet. I've been trying lately to curb myself and focus on select albums, spend more time with them, not just listen to it but KNOW it. Lyrics, what the song is about, the names of the musicians. I used to be good at that shit, but man, these days I suck at it.

I was watching part of a live show from Circus Maximus last night, and said to myself, "This guy has to be one of my favorite modern guitarists, the dude is incredible." It isn't the first time I've told myself that either. The funny thing is, I don't know his name by memory! That's fucking lame, lol. You asked me back in the day I would have immediately rattled off 20 guitarists names', told you their history, anything.

I will say I use Spotify to listen to stuff while at work and stuff, vs. carrying around a load of CDs or an ipod, etc. I have discovered some new stuff on there as well using the "Related Artists" link. I also use it to listen to albums I know I won't be buying, because there is too much on my "to buy" list as it is.

ANYWAYSSsss, for you younger dudes - heed the warnings, go buy, and enjoy it!

Pretty much this. I'm pretty young. 26 to be exact, but I embrace the old school way of acquiring music. I still buy lots of CDs and vinyl and agree there is no better feeling than popping in a new purchase and just letting it all soak in while flipping through the booklet or vinyl jacket. The artwork and craft that goes into a physical release can't be replaced.

I don't use spotify, because I just don't care for streaming all that much. I have an iPod with all my albums on it that I use at work. I spin records daily. Love it.

I don't have an MP3 player and I don't feel like using the space on my phone so I shelled out 25 bucks a year to use Amazon's music service. 25 bucks a year and up to 250,000 songs you can stream (you upload them from your collection). Worth the money.

Also, if you buy CDs that have the AutoRip feature, it will download the music to your amazon music account so you can listen to it before you get the CD.

Also, if you buy CDs that have the AutoRip feature, it will download the music to your amazon music account so you can listen to it before you get the CD.

The cool thing about Amazon AutoRip is if you buy someone a CD for Christmas / Birthday / whatever you get a free copy of it as well on your account :). Now I buy music for people that I also like and get a free copy :p.

I dig that most people are getting into Spotify. I know its the future (or present).

But for me, I want physical copies, or digital copies direct from the band (e.g. Bandcamp) so I can support them directly. And I prefer to go through stuff as albums, not individual songs.

There's an experience to be had y'know? Artwork, liner notes, thank you's, lyrics, packaging. Especially with limited edition stuff. Nothing beats opening that package coming from other part of the world, checking out the details.

Like some others here, I still prefer to buy physical copies, usually cds. I rip them onto my computer, and I am still rocking my old 30 gig Microsoft Zune.

Vegas has a Zia Records and it is fun to browse the used metal section. This year I have found a few gems such as Flotsam and Jetsam's No Place for Disgrace, and Immolation's Here in After.

I should give Spotify a chance. I used to stream through Microsoft's market place and it was a great way to screen new releases and get a chance to listen to old, rare, out of print, classic metal albums.

I still buy CDs when I've found something I really like.
When I was growing up metal wasn't as fractured as it is today, so you had a pretty good idea of what was what. Diversification has allowed some really interesting niches to be created, but its also allowed for some really odd ball stuff to develop as well.
Digital streaming allows me to hear something before I spend my money on it. If I like it enough I will buy it. Spotify has allowed me to try out so many bands its ridiculous. However I still like owning a CD.

I never used Spotify and I am not really interested atm.
Most of the time I buy CDs online whenever there are sales. There are maybe 10-15 Releases each year I Need to have at release date for the full Price.
Sometimes I buy download Albums only when they are very cheap compared to the disc.
I often use YT for checking out something (samples are too short) and I then order the CD.