Do you still buy CDs even though Spotify has a huge selection of niche metal?

So I'm a big fan of Spotify. It has an excellent choice of pretty niche metal. Sure there are some bands that aren't on it or don't have their full catalogue but for only £10 a month I get unlimited streaming of loads of good stuff. These days I'm finding it hard to justify the extra expense of buying CDs.

In fact these days I don't even know where to go to get the really small bands CDs. Which websites do you guys use?

I do like owning CDs and have reasonable collection but £10 an album (on average) is quite a lot to spend.

I like having the physical copy because it feels more real and y'know, physical. I like flicking through the booklet and looking at the way the album is presented by the band as I'm listening to it for the first time. I like looking through my collection and stumbling across something I haven't heard in ages and rediscovering it.

With metal and obscure stuffs I buy directly from the band or label where possible, otherwise eBay usually has what I'm after. I also buy a shitload of second hand cds, which started out as replacing a bunch of my collection which was stolen by my ex and has turned into discovering new old stuff. I've pretty much given up on buying new stuff from record stores. The price of cds has about halved for me since I started buying off the internet, so I'm not bothered about saving money by using spotify.

Don't be someone that bitches about cracked jewel cases, half the time they come from the distro that way.

I like having the physical copy because it feels more real and y'know, physical. I like flicking through the booklet and looking at the way the album is presented by the band as I'm listening to it for the first time. I like looking through my collection and stumbling across something I haven't heard in ages and rediscovering it.
This sums it up for me. I also like looking at how physically large my collection of music is.

i've never used spotify or itunes. im sure in time ill break down. truth be known, im perfectly happy with about 100 choice albums. i no longer need to hear everything new from certain bands or listen to some band that was name dropped by another band.

i miss truly knowing albums. listening to countless bands and then forgetting them on a hard drive is lame. i dont understand that mentality. must be a generational thing.

This is most of my cd collection and yes, there is three layers on most of those shelves.

34smis3.jpg

Annnnd my records

15q84me.jpg

If you're low on cash then just download/freeload that shit. Or maybe you want to check out a certain band or album before dropping your money on them. I'll PM you a few links.

That's a nice collection you have there man! :kickass:

Ima go try to take a few shots of my collection ...

edit:

CIMG2924_zps543086c6.jpg

... my sony CD player croaked on me a few months back but i've been using this Pioneer DVD player and i'm almost convinced that it sounds better on it.

CIMG2922_zpsba86fae8.jpg

... this isn't even half of my CD collection. The rest are boxed up(mainly my older stuff which i've ripped and burned) or in the garage.

And my fledgling vinyl collection.
CIMG2919_zps825cd9fd.jpg

edit: Also, those links that were edited out definitely did not contain any malware whatsoever. People have been using those sights for years without a problem, including a lot of the guys here.

With metal and obscure stuffs I buy directly from the band or label where possible, otherwise eBay usually has what I'm after. I also buy a shitload of second hand cds, which started out as replacing a bunch of my collection which was stolen by my ex and has turned into discovering new old stuff. I've pretty much given up on buying new stuff from record stores. The price of cds has about halved for me since I started buying off the internet, so I'm not bothered about saving money by using spotify.

Buy a bunch of blank jewel cases in bulk. Problem solved!

i miss truly knowing albums. listening to countless bands and then forgetting them on a hard drive is lame. i dont understand that mentality. must be a generational thing.

All these.

When I see that the younger generation of music fans are content with digital (I'm 43, getting old!), and don't get to experience the full joy of going into a music store and perusing through the latest cassettes/CDs/vinyl - that makes me shed a little metal tear. Hah! I'd urge you to find the closest indie shop that sells second hand stuff, and support them as often as you can. Just go in, not looking for anything in particular, and go hunting. It's an awesome time if you enjoy, realllly enjoy, your music.

Seriously, for those of us that started listening pre-digital/internet - I'd be shocked to hear anyone say that those weren't the best music days of our lives. There's no greater (music listening) experience than finding something kick ass (not knowing it at the time), taking it home, cracking it open, and reading through the liner notes/lyrics while listening for the first time. Amazing feeling.

There is so much music out these days it's overwhelming, literally. I can't keep up, and I like to say I try. It's impossible. With that said, I sometimes do wish it weren't so easy to find new stuff with the Internet. I've been trying lately to curb myself and focus on select albums, spend more time with them, not just listen to it but KNOW it. Lyrics, what the song is about, the names of the musicians. I used to be good at that shit, but man, these days I suck at it.

I was watching part of a live show from Circus Maximus last night, and said to myself, "This guy has to be one of my favorite modern guitarists, the dude is incredible." It isn't the first time I've told myself that either. The funny thing is, I don't know his name by memory! That's fucking lame, lol. You asked me back in the day I would have immediately rattled off 20 guitarists names', told you their history, anything.

I will say I use Spotify to listen to stuff while at work and stuff, vs. carrying around a load of CDs or an ipod, etc. I have discovered some new stuff on there as well using the "Related Artists" link. I also use it to listen to albums I know I won't be buying, because there is too much on my "to buy" list as it is.

ANYWAYSSsss, for you younger dudes - heed the warnings, go buy, and enjoy it!

When I see that the younger generation of music fans are content with digital (I'm 43, getting old!), and don't get to experience the full joy of going into a music store and perusing through the latest cassettes/CDs/vinyl - that makes me shed a little metal tear. Hah! I'd urge you to find the closest indie shop that sells second hand stuff, and support them as often as you can. Just go in, not looking for anything in particular, and go hunting. It's an awesome time if you enjoy, realllly enjoy, your music.

Seriously, for those of us that started listening pre-digital/internet - I'd be shocked to hear anyone say that those weren't the best music days of our lives. There's no greater (music listening) experience than finding something kick ass (not knowing it at the time), taking it home, cracking it open, and reading through the liner notes/lyrics while listening for the first time. Amazing feeling.

I'm a couple years older than you and couldn't agree more! My friends and I would practically live at our local record shops. I fukin hate what's happened to the music industry! Getting old kinda sucks, too.

Wait, someone deleted my excellent response to The Butts bullying? Boo, you're no fun