Does anyone else HATE exdrummer???

alan1990

Oct 17, 2007
Petoskey, Michigan
The pop kit can be great in a pop song, as well as most of the other kits in there respected types of music. The DKFH kit for example only really sounds good for tones like meshuggah, and while that works great for some people it really can just sound odd for different types of metal. Everything seems to be a one trick pony, there are no true left and right hits so even with all the humanizing fast bits still sound odd. and while i realize DFHS and now DFHS 2.0 solve most if not all of these problems its just so damn expensive for me at least as a collage student. Thank god for the likes of Steven Slate and all of you guys posting drum samples up on here!!!

I love ez drummer. It's great for songwriting. When it comes time to make a serious recording I just replace the kick and snare drums with one of the many samples posted on here. The toms and cymbals sound good to me though.

ez drummer is awesome ..easy to set up , use, and great for the non tweaker..

I think it supplies album ready tones right out of the box...sure theres better options for more individual type sounds ( bfd, superior)..

although I am reallly sick of the original Shuggah kit..it initially blew everyone away when it came out around 5 years ago..it was pretty much the top of the heap when it was just known as the drumkit from hell....

I love it as well. It's easy for me to load a project file with ezdrummer and start writing. Load drumagog to replace the sounds you don't like...easy enough for me. Also if you have ezdrummer legally then you get a break on the price of Superior 2.

I don't think the DKFH EZX is versatile at all. Meshuggah's drum sounds are too distinct. However, I use the DKFH for most of the cymbals and ezdrummer for the drums + hihat and ride.

Also a good alternative to drumagogging the snare is to just put the snare midi notes on a separate track and have it trigger a sampler with the snare of your choice. Shortcircuit works well and is free.

Everything seems to be a one trick pony, there are no true left and right hits so even with all the humanizing fast bits still sound odd.

Yes there are left and right hits that have been sampled. The DFH kit just sucks, lol. Except the cymbals, I use those on top of the Pop/Rock kit's toms, and replace snare and kick on anything final.

BTW, StoryTeller, that sounds great man. :)

~006

I just tried Parallel compression on EZD last night and in stark to contrast to what I expected, it seemed to take away a bit of that super processed lifelessness EZD w/DFH EZX seemed to suffer from. As for the one trick pony thing I kinda agree. Did you check out DFH's Metal, Thrash and Death Metal kits? I thought they were fairly accurate to the styles they 'represent'. If you send EZD to multi-outs do you still not get any sort of stereo control? I think going the multi-out route and adding some EQ would solve the only gripes I have. I love EZD but I do think it would hard to imagine it in a final CD release of anything. It's just a writting tool for me but with the time I save note programming drums on a piano roll I get a lot more music recorded.

How are you doing this. Do you open have to ezdrummer open and route cymbals to dfh and toms to normal ezdrummer?

Pretty much, You run 2 instances of ezdrummer one dfh one any other kit and just turn off the sounds you dont want one of them to play... example being turning off the toms and snare in dfh ezdrummer and turning everything but the toms and snare off in the pop rock kit

Basically I have two instances of EZDrummer loaded. One with the Pop/Rock kit and one with the DFH kit. On both of them my default kit is with no samples loaded at all, so it's a blank kit. Then I go on the P/R window and add a snare, toms and a kick. On the DFH window I add all of the cymbals. Then I add two MIDI tracks to Cubase, route the first one's MIDI output to the P/R instance, the second one to the DFH instance. Then you just program everything in two separate MIDI tracks. It takes some getting use to, but once you get a system going it's no more difficult than programming in one track.

And then if I want to use those drums all I do is bounce the snare, kick, and toms separately and replace the snare and kick, sometimes the toms, with samples, but I will leave the cymbals and just EQ them or add some warmth/body if needed. The samples aren't the greatest that come with any of the ToonTrack stuff, I've always felt that all of their sample libraries were a little on the thin side, but the layers and positions are phenomenal. With DFHS I only blend samples in with the original DFHS sounds, because the sample layers are very extensive so I can get the realness out of the drums...just not the body, haha.

~006