Does anyone else think that compression is WAY overused nowadays?

Compression doesn't bother me overly but obviously audible clipping does. The odd one here and there whatever but all over the place is annoying as fuck.

As far as dynamics control I definitely think it's a fine line between proper control and crushing the life out of everything, that's one of the skills (among many) that seem to seperate the best producers from the rest.

ah this ol' bugger.....

here's the thing, nobody is going to revolutionize anything right now by simply deciding not to compress tracks to maximize RMS. It will change over time, and will be a slow process that will probably be caused by technical advancement. In a few decades time we will probably have entirely new formats of music and audio systems, and people will look back and laugh at how in this decade everyone was listening to music in mp3 format on ipods and myspace through laptop speakers and cheap earbuds; and that producers and engineers had to mix and master according to this format. it will be the same as every other historically redundant production device/method that people deem as silly now, such as linndrums, gated reverb, track bouncing, and mastering for vinyl.

if someone was to mix a record (particularly metal) with no compression and a low RMS, nobody would give a shit about how natural and dynamic it sounded. They would just be like 'wtf is this, why is this so quiet compared to my august burns red cd??' and probably think it was shit. Especially now with the way people make such an instant judgement from things like myspace, usually just hearing the first 20 seconds or so of a song; initial reaction is EVERYTHING. remember this is an instant gratification sheep society, nobody really has time to give a little time or throw away their preconceptions and let something grow on them; they just need whatever it is they're used to, which in this case is loud ass RMS and 'in your face' compressed mixes.

it will change, but acting on/bitching about it now is only counter-productive.

EDIT: I just read a handfull of the responses, didn't realise the original post was about the general use of overcompression on things like drums. To answer the original poster, there are shitty producers and engineers everywhere who all like to think they know what they're doing, or are fresh out of a college music production course and actually genuinely think they know what they're doing. Shit is as shit does I guess.

it will be the same as every other historically redundant production device/method that people deem as silly now, such as linndrums, gated reverb, track bouncing, and mastering for vinyl.

What?!?!?! Gated Reverb isn't cool anymore? NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I agree with Sacha that digital clipping is the nastiest, most irritating thing, ever.

Also, who cares what you do to get to your final product as long as it sounds good? If -7db RMS sounds better, go for it. If pumping on the 2bus makes things more exciting, go for it. Don't let a rule hold you back.

I agree with Sacha that digital clipping is the nastiest, most irritating thing, ever.

Also, who cares what you do to get to your final product as long as it sounds good? If -7db RMS sounds better, go for it. If pumping on the 2bus makes things more exciting, go for it. Don't let a rule hold you back.

Agree totally

most of the types of "dire rooms" the OP is talking about don't even qualify as semi-pro... they are hobbyist level, if anything. and yeah, misuse of compression is one of the most common issues with hobbyist/semi-pro/fuck-about-with-it recordists.... as Ermz mentioned, fast attack compression is anathema to drums... what all these kinds of guys seem to not get is that you have to set the attack so as to allow the transient to pass unaffected. the idea, usually, is to bring up the Decay, Sustain, and Release part of the envelope relative to the Attack. but poor compressor settings, as you often will find when you record with guys who don't really even know what the controls of a compressor actually do, wil achieve the opposite, or worse... thus killing your drums altogether.

how can compression be 'overused'... doesn't make any sense. it's been a key part of recording and since the beginning and it always will be. Is EQ way overused??
as others are saying, it's more a matter of poor compression.

It depends, we can talk about Bendeth abusing of compression but he knows what he's doing and I love most of his mixes. I know guys that don't have a clue what compression actually does and think that the answer to turn something from amateur to more "pro" lies within slapping a compressor there with some bullshit preset, some even know the theory behind it but don't know how to apply it correctly within each source element or what each element actually requires within the mix itself, thus rendering it completely useless and a sounding piece of turd. As soon as I got into recording I educated myself as much as possible for my own amusement and self-realization, but it was with time and practice that allowed me the "real" understanding of these kind of tools. I get bullshit from mates that think they know all and have all their theory hands down but cannot for their life make a good balanced use of, since we're talking about this, compression and/or make a good mix. Also to note, most of these people go to recording engineer schools.

Songs like "Ring My Bell (7" Version)" by Anita Baker, "Nowadays" on the Chicago Movie Soundtrack and "Simple" by Collective Soul are songs that has a great ammount of compression used on every single track, but the overall dynamics (Macro dynamically and Micro dynamically) are sublime. Ring My Bell as almost 10 dBFS of headroom in wich the drum as space to punch and keep the mix going on without any horrible compression artefacts such as dragging everything in the mix backwards on every hit. Oh by the way! the rms level on Ring My Bell doesn't really move, but the microdynamics and clarity of that the song is where it's at. "Nowadays" gives me chills for it's wonderful use of compression. It's punchy, loud enough so you can hear it in your car (testifying) and still has a great amount of feel during quiet passages. "Simple" is simply (no pun intended) one of the best exemples of a compressed pop rock song that still has a nice amout of punch even tought I prefer older albums that wasn't compressed to fit the "Loudness War". Your ears need to have a downtime after a loud passage or a drum hit to identify the next hit or passage as loud or louder or it will simply get fatigued and you'll end up lowering the volume instead. It's all about contrastl, but sadly music doesn't feel like it benefits from rms contrasts anymore thses days. Flat pancakes are what most of the population listens, wich I find fatiguing and I don't bother listening to anymore. At least, if you guys hate rms contrasts why not mixing songs that has at least a certain amout of microdynamics? Making sure everything sounds large, clear and punchy, but still as it's general rms level always around the same spot? I must admit I sometimes let some of my metal mixes have less than 4 dbs of rms contrast, but I still have 4 dBs of dynamics right there between quiet and loud passages. And I know numbers won't say anything since you should trust your hear, but have you listened to "Have a Cigar" by Pink Floyd? Sometimes when I crank it up in my house I feel every hits in this song gives me that nice punch to the face. Still, I sense the rms level isn't going up and down all time. Why? because there is no real quiet passage in that song, but dynamics and clarity are still there, not compromised by some compression bullshit such as killing dynamics for stupid volume purposes. You guys should know what's a volume knob and learn to use it. Crying like babies because you rage about ambient noises overwhelming what you are listening isn't brilliant at all. Music should be listened in a quiet, comfortable room where you can actually listen to it. If you don't have that type of room or you actually live on a train station, I simply pity you and remind you guys of an old button generally called "Loudness" that was stupidly removed off of listening devices wich used to cure every need of smashing the shit out of published songs. Compression is and will still be overused. Funny that you guys say compression gets every subtlety of each performances upfront. They are not called subtleties anymore... The contrary is fine too, when nothing is really smashed you can still hear every subtlety as in many old bands recordings where each time I listen to them I can still hear something I didn't heard before. I apologize for my bad english, I just hope my opinion will be understood correctly. Finally, could you imagine yourself in a world where everything was written in caps? It's all about contrast.

Dude, paragraphs. :headbang:

Songs like "Ring My Bell (7" Version)" by Anita Baker, "Nowadays" on the Chicago Movie Soundtrack and "Simple" by Collective Soul are songs that has a great ammount of compression used on every single track, but the overall dynamics (Macro dynamically and Micro dynamically) are sublime.

Ring My Bell as almost 10 dBFS of headroom in wich the drum as space to punch and keep the mix going on without any horrible compression artefacts such as dragging everything in the mix backwards on every hit. Oh by the way! the rms level on Ring My Bell doesn't really move, but the microdynamics and clarity of that the song is where it's at.

"Nowadays" gives me chills for it's wonderful use of compression. It's punchy, loud enough so you can hear it in your car (testifying) and still has a great amount of feel during quiet passages.

"Simple" is simply (no pun intended) one of the best exemples of a compressed pop rock song that still has a nice amout of punch even tought I prefer older albums that wasn't compressed to fit the "Loudness War".

I could say the same about bands like Rage Against The Machine and Korn.

Your ears need to have a downtime after a loud passage or a drum hit to identify the next hit or passage as loud or louder or it will simply feel like the drums aren't punching anymore or you won't get surprised by anything and you'll get fatigued and will end up lowering the volume instead. It's all about contrast, but sadly music doesn't feel like it benefits from rms contrasts these days. Flat pancakes are what most of the population listens, wich I find fatiguing and I don't bother listening to anymore.

At least, if you guys hate rms contrasts why not mixing songs that has at least a certain amout of microdynamics? Making sure everything sounds large, clear and punchy, but still as it's general rms level always around the same spot? I must admit I sometimes let some of my metal mixes have less than 4 dbs of rms contrast, but I still have 4 dBs of dynamics right there between quiet and loud passages.

And I know numbers won't say anything since you should trust your ears, but have you listened to "Have a Cigar" by Pink Floyd? Sometimes when I crank it up in my house I feel every hits in this song gives me that nice punch to the face. Still, I sense the rms level isn't going up and down all time. Why? because there is no real quiet passage in that song, but dynamics and clarity are still there, not compromised by some compression bullshit such as killing dynamics for stupid volume purposes.

You guys should know what's a volume knob and learn to use it. Crying like babies because you rage about ambient noises overwhelming what you are listening isn't brilliant at all. Music should be listened in a quiet, comfortable room where you can actually listen to it. If you don't have that type of room or you actually live on a train station, I simply pity you and remind you of an old button generally called "Loudness" that was stupidly removed off of listening devices wich used to cure every need of smashing the shit out of published songs.

Compression is and will still be overused. Funny that you guys say compression gets every subtlety of each performances upfront. They are not called subtleties anymore... The contrary is fine too, when nothing is really smashed you can still hear every subtlety as in many old bands recordings where each time I listen to some I can still hear something I didn't heard before.

I apologize for my bad english, I just hope my opinion will be understood correctly. Finally, could you imagine yourself in a world where everything was written in caps? It's all about contrast.

Better?

i use compression liberally in my mixes because i like the sound of it, but i dont class it as overuse i guess, or misuse, just enhancement.

but yeah i will take a way quieter mix with dynamics all over the fucking place than one with zero life or energy in it if you cant hear the softest parts, turn it up loud enough to hear them clearly and then the loud parts will fuckin ANNIHILATE you

what all these kinds of guys seem to not get is that you have to set the attack so as to allow the transient to pass unaffected. the idea, usually, is to bring up the Decay, Sustain, and Release part of the envelope relative to the Attack.

what about using it to subdue the decay, sustain, and release, so that the initial hit seems punchier by comparison? I know you said "usually" but for me that's how I usually use it. maybe I'm a just a retard - I suck with natural drum sounds.

Compression doesn't bother me overly but obviously audible clipping does. The odd one here and there whatever but all over the place is annoying as fuck.

+1 Audible clipping is just bullshit, that's just someone fucking up behind the console but compression is sweet. Botton line, compress as much as you fucking feel like, if it sounds good then roll with it. But if you're clipping, then you're just an ass.

What?!?!?! Gated Reverb isn't cool anymore? NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Yes it is damn it! :headbang: