Does "anyone" like Reroute?

Focus said:
@Villain: You even have Jin-Roh? You lucky *******. :p

Well, actually, it's my friend who has that excellent special edition Jin-Roh with the soundtrack on a separate CD - all I have is a poor quality (compared to the real thing) DVD-rip with Japanese audio and "hard" english subtitles; which is, of course, the real way to watch anime, since most english dubs are simply horrible - NOIR is the only exception that proves the rule (possibly alongside with some comedy-series, like Burn Up, or the like), having high-quality vocal acting on both japanese and english audio-tracks.

About Neon Genesis Evangelion, I believe it is my all-time favorite anime-series and I have spent quite a lot of time analysing both the individual episodes (especially the last six or so) and the movie End of Evangelion. However, I'm far too tired to go too deeply into that now - I'll concentrate on other anime tonight and will go back to Eva a bit later. Anyways, I will say that before you can "understand" (a loosely used word here, I don't claim to really understand all of it myself)Evangelion in all its grandeur, you definitely need to see all of the following (preferably in this order):

- the original 26 episodes (these are the backbone of the story, you shouldn't try to watch the End before watching all episodes)
- the so-called "director's cuts" of the episodes 21-24 (these are not necessary per se, as they are basically the same as the original episodes, but here are a couple of additional scenes that help "opening" the End)
- the movie End of Evangelion which "replaces" the episodes 25-26 (the final part of the story, a definite masterpiece, IMHO)

Also recommendable (to be watched before End of Eva) is the first movie Death and Rebirth, which recaps all the episodes up to 24 and starts End of Evangelion.

I'll go eat something now - if I'm still awake after that, I will get into the Studio Ghibli movies (Spirited Away, Totoro, Mononoke, Laputa, etc).

-Villain

Inflames626 said:
I've always wondered why bands didn't heavy-up "Powerslave", best Maiden track IMO.

I'm glad you're having fun discussing anime in my thread.

:p A sore loser, are we not?

But sincerely, thanks - after all, you DO have the power to delete this thread with all our anime-talk in it (but so does Rahvin and that doesn't make him the owner of this thread) and a real sore loser would do so.

About Powerslave, if indeed The Sun Fired Blanks is just a "heavied-up" Wasted Years (in music-theoretical and technical sense), I'll be damned to hope that DT would make the same for Powerslave (as it is indeed one of the few very good Maiden-tunes) - if the "improvement" of the song would be in indentical scale with The Sun Fired Blanks / Wasted Years, it could be the best song ever made.

Oh, and about tabs, I'm under the impression (correct me, if I am wrong) that Displacer's Death Tab is the definite place to go and search for them. I would be surprised, if there wouldn't be one for Silence...

-Villain

Here should be a tab for Silence, and the Firmament Withdrew (note that I have no idea how correct / incorrect it is):

http://dsrmusic.com/metaltab/indexIE.php?browser=ie&group=0&value=t&tab=5196&page=tabArchive&value2=D

(I hope the link works just like that, if not, go to www.dsrmusic.com/metaltab and do a search)

About Ghibli movies: All of those that I have seen are truly excellent - Hayao Miyazaki is a genius and all of his work have that unique feeling in them (I just watched through the bonus-DVD of the Spirited Away special edition and now I must admire the guy even more than I did before - he is so intimately involved in the creation-process of his movies that the term "director" does not fit anymore, a better one could be "father").

Of all their movies that I have seen, I like Princess Mononoke (Mononoke Hime) the best: it is the most serious and saddest (even violent) of Miyazaki's movies and is definitely a pleasure to watch many times through. So, for those who thought Spirited Away was too childish, go and see Mononoke - but beware, it is definitely not for children.

I also happen to like Laputa - Castle in the Sky and Spirited Away a lot. I'm very happy that Spirited Away got the recognition that it deserves, although there are many more anime movies that are about as great (and some even greater). The interesting thing, though, is that some people in the net found Spirited Away the worst of Miyazaki's movies, or at least the least spectacular one. I wonder how much this has to do with the "commercialization" (is that a word?) of the movie - do some "honto" anime-elitists resent the movie simply because it is no longer just their small scene that knows about it? I can't say for sure, but for me Spirited Away does just as much as Laputa (a far older Ghibli film with a firm cult-status). Feel free to draw parallels to other recent discussions... :D

-Villain

Villain said:
:p A sore loser, are we not?

But sincerely, thanks - after all, you DO have the power to delete this thread with all our anime-talk in it (but so does Rahvin and that doesn't make him the owner of this thread) and a real sore loser would do so.

About Powerslave, if indeed The Sun Fired Blanks is just a "heavied-up" Wasted Years (in music-theoretical and technical sense), I'll be damned to hope that DT would make the same for Powerslave (as it is indeed one of the few very good Maiden-tunes) - if the "improvement" of the song would be in indentical scale with The Sun Fired Blanks / Wasted Years, it could be the best song ever made.

Oh, and about tabs, I'm under the impression (correct me, if I am wrong) that Displacer's Death Tab is the definite place to go and search for them. I would be surprised, if there wouldn't be one for Silence...

-Villain

I don't think I lost the argument, I just got tired of wasting my breath on something I wasn't going to change my mind on.

It's just a bit humorous for people to say ohh this stuff is so cool and treat it like it's more than music (various Tool fans and Manson fans included here) and then watch a GIT instructor pick it out in less than an hour...kind of took the wind out of my sails...I was a bit embarrassed that I was so into it after I saw that it was just a different way to play Maiden with Mikael Stanne doing the same ol' Obituary "Rawrrr" over it.

I like a rawr every now and then, but it's about as common now as Phil Anselmo saying fuck...

Beg to differ on the Maiden comment, working away slavishly on my cover tunes

as soon as they're copyrighted you'll have some self-promotion here in terms of Devolve tunes posted for your perusal (that's me basically, and another guy who helps me write, but I play it all and program it in Cakewalk)...

For all my bitching about the need to be a technical musician, cut me some slack on the tunes though, I never claimed I was a badass, just that I thought it was a noble thing to try for..to shred, that is...I'm hoping the quality of the songwriting will make the lack of shred not that important

Also, for all you kids of the 80s like me, why was Mighty Morphin Power Rangers so popular when it was just a way less cool Voltron?

Was Voltron anime as well, or just done in that style?

Also revisited some GI Joe on cartoon network, from 85, way before the weird post-movie cartoons..man those are looking dated now...

cheerio.

Btw, no need to delete my thread, although the posting frequency went way down in my absence..

Villain said:
...with Japanese audio and "hard" english subtitles; which is, of course, the real way to watch anime, since most english dubs are simply horrible.
-Villain

I find it quite irritating watching (some) anime with dubs over English. Since they are done so poorly (and sometime with those annoying high pitch tone) ugh! :ill:

So, Villain, what do you think about Jin-Roh. Saw it once and i think its actually good IMO.

I bet I have something Villain would love :p
I have GitS with both english and japanese sound
track and subtitles, you can pick whichever combination
you like and all this on 2 CDs :)

Yes, I have a genious as a friend, also have a lot of
other stuff from the same guy, NGE, Noir and Lain at
least :) DVD quality all of them.

I can imagine The Sun Fired Blanks having little similarities with Wasted Years, but music (as well as art) is based on inspirations of earlier works by other artists. I mean, Wasted Years could as well be inspired from other songs from other bands. I noticed Ex Nihilo has a similar feel to the TV show theme "Unsolved Mysteries".
I remember reading an article about Zakk Wylde (or someone else) saying that Randy Rhoads completely took a classical guitar piece, fixed it up, and put it in the intro to the song Diary of a Madman.
Early Metallica is definitely influenced by Diamond Head and other bands, no surprised that anyone could find some similarities. There's a short solo piece in For Whom the Bell Tolls that sounds exactly like Black Sabbath's Fairies Wear Boots (05:42). Okay, the lists can go on and on.
Movies like "The Matrix" definitely came from a lot of sources and inspirations. It is interesting where the original stories and ideas of "The Matrix" comes from, but to say "The Matrix" is a cheap plagirism of Joseph Campbell's The Power of Myth would ruin the "coolness" of the movie. :)

Focus said:
I find it quite irritating watching (some) anime with dubs over English. Since they are done so poorly (and sometime with those annoying high pitch tone) ugh! :ill:

Hehe, I can agree to that. Kinda like watching a poorly dubbed Bruce Lee movie. :D
I find subtitles can help me learn the language of the movie, as in Japanese, German, Swedish, what have you.

Arch said:
I can imagine The Sun Fired Blanks having little similarities with Wasted Years, but music (as well as art) is based on inspirations of earlier works by other artists. I mean, Wasted Years could as well be inspired from other songs from other bands. I noticed Ex Nihilo has a similar feel to the TV show theme "Unsolved Mysteries".
I remember reading an article about Zakk Wylde (or someone else) saying that Randy Rhoads completely took a classical guitar piece, fixed it up, and put it in the intro to the song Diary of a Madman.
Early Metallica is definitely influenced by Diamond Head and other bands, no surprised that anyone could find some similarities. There's a short solo piece in For Whom the Bell Tolls that sounds exactly like Black Sabbath's Fairies Wear Boots (05:42). Okay, the lists can go on and on.
Movies like "The Matrix" definitely came from a lot of sources and inspirations. It is interesting where the original stories and ideas of "The Matrix" comes from, but to say "The Matrix" is a cheap plagirism of Joseph Campbell's Mythology would ruin the "coolness" of the movie. :)

Matrix was a cool idea to start, but I'm so thoroughly sick of "conspiracy theory" stuff now...the whole "men in black" idea was basically done in by X Files...

it isnt so much the plot was a bad idea, but the marketing...

Ex Nihlio to me was veryyyyyyyy Call of Cthulu...

I thought for fun I'd list some covers I (Devolve, I feel silly just saying me, but, assume there's a band here) am working on...

Maiden-Where Eagles Dare
Killing Joke-Millennium
Maiden-Powerslave
Flames-Black and White (perhaps, need a guitar in C)
Metallica-Until It Sleeps (first song I ever learned at 16, from the Cherry Lane books, that is, every scratch and breath on the strings)
Metallica-Fuel (very fun live, ah the memories)
Metallica (okay, Diamond Head, you purists)--Am I Evil
Sabbath-Symptom of the Universe (did Paranoid, way too simple and overdone...would be like covering Sandman!)
Maiden-Wickerman
Maiden-Fortunes of War (yes, Bailey Era Maiden)
Megadeth-Trust
Megadeth-My Last Words (maybe, I alwayssss loved that song, but they never play it...last track on Peace Sells, the fast one...I forgot how fast Chris Poland is)
DT-Firmament
DT-Wonders at your feet (sounds very easy, and short)
Prong-Another Worldly Device
Flames-Jester's Dance (no brainer)
Megadeth-Insomnia or Prince of Darkness
Sepultura-Refuse Resist (finished)
These are tentative, don't really know how difficult they are until I sit down with them, although I've played rhythm for Evil, Fuel, Sleeps and Eagles live, also considering some Priest...

Won't be this many of course, but I hope to pass out the vocalless (I can't sing) covers in my town and via the net for free along with the vocalless originals (which I'll sell for a nominal fee, with artwork)...maybe the next Rob Halford will like it.

I hope the covers will entice skeptics that the originals are also very good

Thank you for reading this public service announcement

Inflames626 said:
Maiden-Fortunes of War (yes, Bailey Era Maiden)

There is no such thing, there is Maiden, then the band was Blaze,
but named Maiden and NOW it's Maiden again, since that faggot
got replaced by a real singer.

Salamurhaaja said:
There is no such thing, there is Maiden, then the band was Blaze,
but named Maiden and NOW it's Maiden again, since that faggot
got replaced by a real singer.

As long as steve harris is there, it's Maiden

And if you go to Maiden's site and listen to the new single...

Im sorry, but, X Factor was better, darker, bleaker

and musically Maiden

Hell, I might even try Virus

that is, the extra track put on the 96 best of the beast compilation

if i could play like Roy Z, id do some chemical wedding, with the dark side of aquarius thrown in on the side

new maiden sounds like skunkworks...

Inflames626 said:
As long as steve harris is there, it's Maiden

Oh yeah, I forgot, you are a guitar wanker, what did I tell you earlier
about guitarists singers? hmm?

Just cos Harris writes a lot doesn't make him Maiden, if everyone else
left and he was there, there is no way in hell people would say 'oh,
look Harris is still there, it's still Maiden.'

Read my lips: there is NO Maiden without Bruce.
Bruce is the sole reason to go see them live, Blaze can't get the
crowd with him, if he bribes them.

Salamurhaaja said:
Oh yeah, I forgot, you are a guitar wanker, what did I tell you earlier
about guitarists singers? hmm?

Just cos Harris writes a lot doesn't make him Maiden, if everyone else
left and he was there, there is no way in hell people would say 'oh,
look Harris is still there, it's still Maiden.'

Read my lips: there is NO Maiden without Bruce.
Bruce is the sole reason to go see them live, Blaze can't get the
crowd with him, if he bribes them.

Maiden existed before, during, and after Bruce.

Harris runs the band, writes most of the riffs, Janick Dave and Adrian write solos over it...

Hell, Maiden was Maiden with Dennis Stratton

Although Maiden was best with Dickinson, you could take Dickinson out of Maiden and it was still Maiden, but you couldn't take Maiden out of Dickinson, as the last 2 solo records are basically detuned Maiden...some are even an octave down...Korn goes to A...King in Crimson, at least the first part, was drop D an octave down...another 5 notes lower.

Who says you can't teach old dogs new tricks..

seriously, go listen to the single for dance of death...it's...not so hot, in fact, brave new world wasnt so hot except for navigator...kind of like when i put in no prayer, about 3 songs get played.

especially the fact that the only way you can tell that there are 3 guitarists is a wavering, chorus like sensation in the mix...the consequence of reduced tightness the more guitars you add.

Adrian Smith's solo career doesn't even sound Maiden...

It's all w/ Steve that it comes together.

Salamy made a good point with singers.

Janis Joplin died and her band went with it.

Ozzy was kicked out of Black Sabbath, Dio was the replacement, but Sabbath was never the same. Even though Dio have a better vocal range than Ozzy, the crowds and fans go crazy for Ozzy.

Genesis was at their peak when Peter Gabriel was their singer. It took a lot of convincing to the fans that Phil Collins was a decent frontman.

Freddy Mercury's dead, Queen is still around... trying to hang on to their legacy by selling and repackaging old records.

Inflames626 said:
Maiden existed before, during, and after Bruce.

Yes, but who, besides me liked it? I really like Di'Anno, there is a lot
of songs on Killers and Iron Maiden that I like much more when he
sing them, rather than Bruce. Never the less, Bruce=Maiden,
Harris=song writing, guitar, blah blah, but not Maiden.
The thing is Maiden has always succeeded mostly due to Bruces
amazing singing and charisma, Blaze couldn't muster that charisma
if dropped into a bucket of essence of Bruce and let's not even go
there with "singing".

Inflames626 said:
Although Maiden was best with Dickinson, you could take Dickinson out of Maiden and it was still Maiden, but you couldn't take Maiden out of Dickinson, as the last 2 solo records are basically detuned Maiden...

Could this perhaps prove my fucking point? Bruce=Maiden, no matter
who he does it with, Bruces solo stuff is much more Maiden than
anything Blaze was involved in. period, end of discussion.

Inflames626 said:
seriously, go listen to the single for dance of death...it's...not so hot, in fact, brave new world wasnt so hot except for navigator...kind of like when i put in no prayer, about 3 songs get played.

Brave New World is not their best by far, but it kicks the ass of
anything Blaze was involved in, who remembers even one song
from The X Factor or Virtual XI without looking at the CDs?
I sure as hell don't.

Inflames626 said:
Adrian Smith's solo career doesn't even sound Maiden...

You're again proving my point more than yours.

Reactions: Arch
Salamurhaaja said:
I bet I have something Villain would love :p
I have GitS with both english and japanese sound
track and subtitles, you can pick whichever combination
you like and all this on 2 CDs :)

Uh, if you mean the movie, I got it on DVD (R2 UK version, dunno if it is the best, but at least it looks great and the sound is good). Thus, I don't envy you here the least bit. :cool:

About the other series you mentioned, I have NGE in excellent quality DVD-rips, Noir in good quality fansubs and Lain in average quality fansubs. Japanese audio & english subtitles in all of these. I'm in process of buying both Eva and Noir (and Berserk; and Last Exile once it is released, and...) in DVD - the only hindrance is my lack of extra money. I don't think I will buy Lain soon (unless I win in lottery, which is not too probable, as I don't ever buy the ticket), so getting that one in better quality would be nice, I think.

About Matrix, it is funny to see how much it owes to various anime: many of the visuals are taken from certain combat-heavy movies and the basic idea of real world contra virtual world is pretty much taken from Serial Experiments Lain; although in Lain it is done much more thoroughly and used more efficiently - watching it the first time through, you can never know what is real and what is virtual. Oh, and for those who have not seen Lain, it is not the least bit like Matrix in style or feeling - they just have a small common backbone, from which the stories go completely different ways. I prefer the way it takes in Lain, although I enjoyed Matrix and its first sequel a lot.

-Villain (going to make the survivor polls next, I'll come back to this topic later - I have much more to say about anime)

About this maiden argument, I think Brave New World is a really strong effort.
As for Blaze, he really isnt a bad singer, he just isnt Bruce.
Virtual XI is also a pretty good cd imo, Lightning Strikes Twice kicks ass.
I'm too tired to write 5 million lines about so lets leave it at that.

Salamurhaaja said:
Yes, but who, besides me liked it? I really like Di'Anno, there is a lot
of songs on Killers and Iron Maiden that I like much more when he
sing them, rather than Bruce. Never the less, Bruce=Maiden,
Harris=song writing, guitar, blah blah, but not Maiden.
The thing is Maiden has always succeeded mostly due to Bruces
amazing singing and charisma, Blaze couldn't muster that charisma
if dropped into a bucket of essence of Bruce and let's not even go
there with "singing".

Flames: I didn't like the first two Maiden records because most of the riffs were gay and sounded very 50's bebopish, it wasn't until Hallowed Be Thy Name that Maiden became Maiden. I only liked Wraithchild, Remember Tomorrow and Phantom of the Opera.

Could this perhaps prove my fucking point? Bruce=Maiden, no matter
who he does it with, Bruces solo stuff is much more Maiden than
anything Blaze was involved in. period, end of discussion.

Flames: No, not end of discussion. I want to psychoanalyze you. Open up to me, show me what makes you tick. I want to see where all this aggression comes from and where you come off thinking you're right all the time when I seriously doubt you can read music. Disagreeing isn't bad, but everyone in this thread save you has often had some merit in disagreement at least, or at least done it in a more respectful way. You're very argumentative all the time, throwing in fuckings and what not, almost like youre looking for a fight consistently...it's quite annoying...

I don't know...I haven't heard Silicon Messiah, his first solo record. Blaze didn't make it in Maiden because people wouldn't give him a chance...have you ever heard Dickinson sing Sign of the Cross convincingly? I haven't...because he oversings the Heaven Can Wait kind of thing...Blaze was more down to earth in his singing style

A minor third harmony over a gallop is a minor third harmony over a gallop is a minor third harmony over a gallop...the only thing that wasn't Maiden (and Virtual XI's "Futureal" was Maiden any way you cut it...same music style, same singing style, lower key...) was "The Angel and the Gambler"...that organ was too much.

Brave New World is not their best by far, but it kicks the ass of
anything Blaze was involved in, who remembers even one song
from The X Factor or Virtual XI without looking at the CDs?
I sure as hell don't.

Sign of the Cross, Lord of the Flies, The Unbeliever, Fortunes of War, 2 AM...Futureal, The Clansman, When Two Worlds Collide...

I guess I'm just a bigger (unconditional) Maiden fan...

You're again proving my point more than yours.

You're very aggressive, has anyone ever told you to fuck off, then beat your ass when you got self-righteous and up in their face about it?

Same kind of music with a different voice over it...

Maiden without Steve Harris isn't Maiden, and although Dickinson can't help but BE Maiden (at least since 1998), Maiden with Blaze sounded more Maiden by far than Dickinson did with Skunkworks and Ballz

I like X because it was a darker, far more mature effort than the rather happyish Heaven Can Wait/Assassin/Holy Smoke kind of vibe

IMO, No Prayer sucked a lot worse than X Factor, but Maiden has never made an outright bad record.

X Factor also sounded more Maiden than Fear/No Prayer 90-92 sessions, when Bruce thought he was Brian Johnson of AC/DC...

Btw, the Adrian Smith comment proved my point...Adrian isn't Maiden, Dave isn't Maiden, Nicko isn't Maiden...Steve is Maiden. If Adrian sounds non-Maiden when he's outside of Maiden, then he must be "less Maiden" than Steve, who is "Maiden" all the time.