does anyone play nevermore songs on guitar?

Sexi Alexi 94

Oct 10, 2006
hey i posted this on the nevermore board but nobody ever answers so,

i was playing my brother's guitar and he showed me how to play the start of no more will . it was pretty cool, then i was like can you show me how to play born, and he's like :lol: ya right that's too fast.

what are some good songs by nevermore to learn, easy ones too please. i've only played like 10 times before so i'm no alexi, jeff loomis or chris broderick or steve smyth lol :erk:

oh and one more thing, do you guys use guitar pro or power tab or just look at them online. i can't get the programs to work :mad:

the riverdragon has come is probably the best song to start with, If you have 7 strings that is :).

after that I would say the rest of that album. what guitar do you play?

you should try the solos in psalm of lydia and tge. they are so easy, especially jeff's that i can play them while sleepwalking. :lol::lol:
play some more guitar before attempting nevermore. Metallica is a good way to start (of course, not with the dyer's eve solo....)

Seedawakener said:
the riverdragon has come is probably the best song to start with, If you have 7 strings that is :).

after that I would say the rest of that album. what guitar do you play?

no i dont have 7 strings i wish :lol: , i use my brothers' guitar its a jackson, i'm not sure what exact kind, it has pointy edges and shark fins, it looks really cool

guitarguru777 said:
Start with more of the Ballady songs.

Evolution 169
The Sanity Assasin
The Heart Collector

Those are 3 easy ones to start with

thanks i will look search for them on tabs.

lordofthesewers said:
you should try the solos in psalm of lydia and tge. they are so easy, especially jeff's that i can play them while sleepwalking. :lol::lol:
play some more guitar before attempting nevermore. Metallica is a good way to start (of course, not with the dyer's eve solo....)

lmao yea right i saw those solos on you tube, his hands move so fast to play it and it sounds so cool :loco:

I fuck up on slow songs, I need speed to remember what I'm doing until the end of the riff...

Try Testament, they also have put out some great songs that aren't as hard (and I think that they're leagues above Metallica, personally), so pick up First Strike Still Deadly and learn some of those - they will sneak up on you and work your chops when you least expect it and next thing you know you'll be nailing Nevermore stuff.

Jeff

I'm learning "Psalm Of Lydia", "This Godless Endeavour" and "I, Voyager" atm... I use Jeff and Steve's GW column for the first two, the second I use Guitar Pro tabs and I tend to transcribe all into sheet music because it not only helps me increase my knowledge of time signatures, key signature's and cadences, it helps me focus on sheet music rather than tab...I hate tab, but I use it if it's the only recourse I have.
I don't have a 7 string atm, I just play the lower chords on the A string with added fifths to make it sound low...Another tip is to use a thick pick, you can make an 8-38 set of strings sound like 11-52's if you use something ballsy like Dunlop Gator 1.5 mLs.
I discovered them from Frederick Akesson (Arch Enemy), he gave me a pic, and I asked him what type were they so I'm using nothing but them atm. Fred rips just as hard if nor harder than Chris Amott but no-one can replace Chris lol.
Another thing that should be vital for all guitar players...Even if you can't play, put on the record and play along, try and figure out the songs by ear.
Your ears are the most important thing to develop, more than technique, more than chops and more than theory. You do have have to know how to play but without the ear, your screwed lol.
I think Steve will agree with me on this last one.

...you can make an 8-38 set of strings sound like 11-52's if you use something ballsy like Dunlop Gator 1.5 mLs.

Agree that thick picks are good, but on the 8-38 bit...

WRONG.

With a capital W, R, O, N, G, and a spare & just for fuck-all.

Yngwie Fucking Malmsteen uses 1.5mm picks and used tiny strings like what you're talking about for a really long time... and it still sounded like he was playing little aluminum cans up and down the lower strings because of those thin fucking strings. Steve uses .88 Tortex, just so you know, and while thin picks (I consider anything below 1mm, or that I can flex between three of my fingers without them turning funny new colors, to be thin) will take the balls out of thick strings, no thick pick will put the balls back into wimpy strings and if you're playing Nevermore in Eb (Bb if you're a 7-stringer) you're wimping out if you're using 10-46.

Jeff

Hey Dude,
I was just exagerating on the 8-38 comment...I was just trying to talk up the gators lol. I'm a sucker for them lol.
Yeah, I hate thin strings as well. I use 13-56 on standard E with the tension kept as is because I've just started over recentely, learning good habis and developing my strength so when I go on a lighter guage like 10-46, it'll be effortless to play.
I'm just a kid that is trying to practise as much as possible and basically taking the harder path strength wise.

i really like to play dead heart in a dead world, the verse rhythm is a bitch to play, but after you get used to it, its really cool to play

my skill is not good enough to play nevermore songs yet. I will have to play 6 strings songs only, since i don't have 7.
I'm playing creeping death by metallica now, and it is pretty fun. I'm gonna try poison god machine soon enough

I consider myself a pretty good rythmguitarist since its the thing ive been doing mostly in my 4 years of guitasrplaying. My picknighand can play any fear factory thing I have tried. THough my soloing is pretty bad... I have to work on the legatto and stuff like that. anyway, I started playing nevermore songs after about 2 years, right after I got my 7 string... Though it sounded like shit at that time.

Agree that thick picks are good, but on the 8-38 bit...

WRONG.

With a capital W, R, O, N, G, and a spare & just for fuck-all.

Yngwie Fucking Malmsteen uses 1.5mm picks and used tiny strings like what you're talking about for a really long time... and it still sounded like he was playing little aluminum cans up and down the lower strings because of those thin fucking strings. Steve uses .88 Tortex, just so you know, and while thin picks (I consider anything below 1mm, or that I can flex between three of my fingers without them turning funny new colors, to be thin) will take the balls out of thick strings, no thick pick will put the balls back into wimpy strings and if you're playing Nevermore in Eb (Bb if you're a 7-stringer) you're wimping out if you're using 10-46.

Jeff

Dude I don't know what you're talking about in reference to the 10-46. I get great sound out of ernie and d'addario's in that gauge. It's how you set the tension to be sure.

High tension is good, but bigger strings also handle large tension better and wind up with a thicker sound because of it.

Record something with those 10s and then for your next set try 11-52 or so and record again with the same settings, you'll know what I'm talking about (didn't believe it myself at first, now I know better).

Jeff