Does Symphorce always Plagiarize their lyrics?

Not to defend this band, but in general, It is hard to find a different melody in metal music. Pretty much anything that anyone uses is going to be at some point used by somebody else. True, lyrics are much more flexible and there is NO excuse for plagerism. That I can completely agree with. But as far as melody wise, sometimes that cant be helped. Now I havent heard this cd actually, so I dont know how much they stole from DT's music with that song. But riffs and melody's are ripped from other people's music quite frequently without much thought. I mean Iv sat there before listening to awesome bands and go.."damn that is so dream theater like" or "they totally ripped that one off of symphony x". Iv also heard stuff like Dream Theater sounds very similar to an old band called "Triumpherant". (I beleive that is how its spelled) Whatever the case is, but like I said. I dont know how far they ripped it from DT either. So if you could, enlighten me on that part, that would be nice.

As for Pagan's Mind, they claim that Prophecy Of Pleiades is a homage to DT, whom they consider a major influence...still obvious theft, but at least their explanation is a bit more credible than Symphorce's...
IceDragon: I believe you're thinking of Triumvirat.

Originally posted by ProgMetalFan
:lol:

Indeed!

It's really quite futile to try to defend Symphorce's blatent and widespread pilfering of Pain of Salvation lyrics!

Futile or not, I am not saying it was right, but let's be honest; as others have said, riffs and melodies are constantly being stolen from other bands. Surprisingly, it is not made into a big issue as this has been. That's all I am saying. I do not condone what Andy did, but lets not zero in on him when every time I listen to a band (not every time, but most of the time), I hear blatant rip offs of bands like DT, Savatage, Rush, etc..

I do understand that lyrics are a bit different, however lyrics and riffs are somewhat analagous when it comes to copying.