Does Toby Driver hate Opeth?

Frostangelstorm

Mighty Ravendark
Sep 6, 2005
Blashyrkh
I have a read a couple of interviews from both the motW days and the new era, where Toby Driver, although didn't say so, but you could guess from the context that he really dislikes Opeth?

Is that true, and if so, why?

Deadair prodded him with the Opeth stick.

Jake Haselman - I did it in my review, and I’m sure other people are going to… does it still suck that you are still going to have the word “Opeth” come up in your reviews.

Toby Driver - I’m not going to say it sucks, because good reviews are great and everything…

JH - but just the fact that they are still the measuring stick for heavy music with pretty parts.

TD - yea, totally. I would ultimately like to get to point where that doesn’t happen. But people always need a point of comparison. Some things are necessary at certain times… but I’d prefer not to be. I don’t really know what else to say about it. I guess the short answer would be, “yea it does suck”. (laughter)

nah thsi isnt what i menat...

With these changes, how does Toby ensure all his ideas clearly stem from a single creative source? "Well it’s not like we write music in parts and glue them together like some other bands seem to (cough Opeth cough)" comes the (controversial) retort.

and the oyther one:

read on Mia's page [Mia Matsumiya - violin, viola] that on some dates you played to 2-3 people. What are some thoughts that run through your head when you see an empty place? Does it ever run through your mind that this is all for nothing and "let's just be a studio band"?
Usually in a situation like that, I don't think it has anything to do with people not liking your music so much as it has to do with a lack of promotion or other circumstances, like playing in the same town on the same night as Opeth and Pelican together on one bill. And small turnouts are just a part of touring and playing shows that almost any band has to deal with - you just have to figure out why people aren't coming to the shows and do what you can to remedy that, in terms of scheduling and promotion. I think that a band's success has very little to do with their music.

Sure, a big part of it bad promotion [you played in Tampa and I had no clue] but do you also think people have shitty taste in music and prefer something safe to something challenging? I mean, I'd go see Kayo Dot over Opeth any day.
I think listeners are impatient, which directly affects their taste.

The latter one from dead.timne code doesn't rprove much i think we shoudl wait for him to reply.....

At this club, a security guard was passing around a joint. He proceeded to bitch about the modern metal scene.
"yeah these kids are fucking sick, man. When Opeth came through here, there were these guys and . . . THEY WERE GROUPIES! THEY SWITCH HIT FOR OPETH!"
I believe this person listened to Toby Keith who has the same first name as Toby who is from Massachusetts which allows gay marriage so I don't see how he could hate on Opeth as there's sort of like a brotherhood there.

I've heard that Agalloch hates Opeth but I have an interview with their bassist talking about how he and the guitarist listen to Opeth and enjoy it.

Your search - opeth, cake recipe - oddly enough did match documents.

Suggestions:
Ignore them all.
Try turning away from your monitor.
Try more genital keywords.
Try fewer keyboards.
Drink blue beer so you can celebrate St. Patrick's Day properly.

there's this episode of King of the Hill on right now where a friend of Hank's from Boston visits him in Texas and is disappointed he doesn't see any stereotypes; reminds me of being on tour. I mean Opeth