Opeth's song "Godhead's Lament" is amazing

Baliset

guitar deity
Jul 31, 2002
New England
www.maudlinofthewell.com
betcha didn't expect to see that on this board.

but seriously, i have been listening to still life alot the past couple days and also Benighted and Face Of Melinda are amazing as well!

although i agree with toby that the transition from clean to distorted in Face of Melinda is very awkward. but i love each section alot.

i should probably learn to play it to just because i find the music very interesting. i did learn how to play "looking out my back door" by CCR this week though!

ps. what kind of classical did you get chromelife?

Godhead is my fav track of SL too.

I agree that the transition in Face of Melinda sounds a little forced but the heavy riff is definately a cool one.

i have a cordoba 50 that i was thinking of getting rid of to get something cheaper since i don't play it much; maybe a la patrie etude if i ever get to see if they're good or not.

this is turning into a standard um thread.

i like cordoba on a whole. i am no expert on the classical guitars though. if you want i could completely turn this into a gear geek thread and recount my afternoon checking out acoustic guitars at guitar center on saturday.

DO IT.

you tried any larrivee acoustics? the ones i tried back when i was looking a couple years ago seemed a bit cheap clear pickguards, kind of light/cheap feeling), and i ended up finding a used Taylor 310 for $500. but i heard recently that the larrivees (higher end models) are supposed to be bitchin- the taylor i have is decent, but can be lacking a bit on the presence factor.

well i never used many larrivee guitars when i worked at GC but they were ok. i was always more into taylors and martins.

anyhoo, i tried out a Taylor 314CE i believe(i forget the exact models). it was really awesome sounding and very full. not too bassy and not too tinny. i didn't get to try it amplified to see how it worked through an amp.

i also tried a martin model which didn't have a tag on it so i am not sure of the exact one i played but again it was very awesome. the difference was that the bass frequencies really were accentuated more and it had this boominess to it that i loved but i wondered from a recording perspective which would come out better the martin or the taylor?

i think those were my top favorites and i probably would want both but start with the martin because i feel it could compliment my current acoustic guitar(epiphone) alot better.

also played:

Yamaha something or other: a decently priced solid top guitar that byron was looking at. and it was phenomenal for the price. i still would want the higher end for myself but for a guy like byron it was a really awesome sounding guitar for a really awesome price. $399 i believe.

Martin HD28: i am not a huge fan of dreadnought guitars with no cutaway but this guitar was pretty cool. the strings were wicked fresh so they sounded a little too bright and its the type of guitar i would probably have to play for five years and beat the crap out of before its real resonance and tone would come out.

Gibson Jumbo: GC never carried Gibson when i was there so this was a new experience. unfortunately the strings seemed very old, dead, and almost rusted which made playing it very unfun but overall it was again just ok.

i think taylors were my top choice when i was working there but right now i would say the martins are my best bet for a new acoustic investment whenever that might happen.

chupe: also a funny story about larrivee's is that my co-worker once sold a dude a larrivee entirely of koa wood for $3200 cash. and when i say $3200 i mean the dude literally kept taking bills out of the pockets in his pants and shirt and jacket and wherever else until he had $3200 in cash right there with more cash to spare.

avi: totally right. unless you buy a cheap acoustic because they don't have solid tops and the sound never changes the entire time you own it.

but i mean the amrtins sound amazing right off the bat so the hope is that they will continue to sound more and more amazing.

that 314ce is like the electronic cutaway equivalent of the taylor i have- they sound good, and with the elixir strings they really kill.

i don't think i'd ever buy a new guitar- used is totally the way to go.

greg- you ever try Norman guitars? a friend just bought one for his daughter who plays violin, and he said it sounds really sweet.

i have never heard of norman guitars actually.

well i also strummed a used taylor at GC and didn't like it as much but the guy probably didn't take care of it very well.

the next guitar i would buy is totally going to be an acoustic for now since my electrics seem to be covered for right now with my current collection and some things i will keep under wraps until i know more. :)