Still Life= overrated

I too feel its one of my favorite Opeth albums. I could see how some feel its not their favorite album, but you cant deny how beautiful it is. The production is solid and the clean singing in Godheads Lament gives me shivers even to this day.

How could you compare Still Life and MAYH??? They are two completely different albums. I don't think Still Life is overrated at all. Course, I'm one of those people who hold all 8 Opeth CD's up high on my list. I love them all for various reasons.

MasterOLightning said:
I'm still the only one to post a set of reasons as to why I think this is Opeth's worst album. I stand by that to this day. All hail Morningrise and Blackwater Park, the peaks of their career.

I personally don't think Opeth have a "worst" album. They all are different and are good for different reasons. I would put Still Life over Blackwater Park.

Moonlapse said:
Okay, I thought I'd let the entire anti-Still Life thing slide since there seems to be so many new members on here that favour the BWP and post material. Fair enough, I thought, since it took me about 2 years to get into Opeth's back catalogue and understand why it runs circles around the newer stuff (excluding Ghost Reveries, which I feel ranks up with MAYH and SL).

I AGREE!!!!

I am listening to Beneath the Mire right now, and I think it is one of the best Opeth songs ever written. I love the progression, airy, whimsical, heavy, death heavy, power metal, whimsical..... sick fuckin ass rediculous. Total musical frank zappa genius shit.

The solo at 4:15 is one of the most beautiful fucking solos ever. Jimi Hendrix would be proud.

Then back to light and haunting, to death heavy, so syncopated rediculousness, to guitar freak to, too much man. The drum ending.... wow

YOU ARE THE DUMBASS IF YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE GENIUS OF THIS ALBUM.

Yes I am stoned out of my mind on some blueberry hydro.... maybe you should get some to experience the greatness of this album.

MixGrafix said:
I AGREE!!!!

I am listening to Beneath the Mire right now, and I think it is one of the best Opeth songs ever written. I love the progression, airy, whimsical, heavy, death heavy, power metal, whimsical..... sick fuckin ass rediculous. Total musical frank zappa genius shit.

The solo at 4:15 is one of the most beautiful fucking solos ever. Jimi Hendrix would be proud.

Then back to light and haunting, to death heavy, so syncopated rediculousness, to guitar freak to, too much man. The drum ending.... wow

YOU ARE THE DUMBASS IF YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE GENIUS OF THIS ALBUM.

Yes I am stoned out of my mind on some blueberry hydro.... maybe you should get some to experience the greatness of this album.

Hahah yeah you have to be high to enjoy Beneath the Mire.
Jk, its a pretty great song. Ghost Reveries is still my least favorite, though.

in limbow said:
Hahah yeah you have to be high to enjoy Beneath the Mire.
Jk, its a pretty great song. Ghost Reveries is still my least favorite, though.

I am listening to "Machine Gun" from Band of Gypsies right now.

Another soul grabbing song.

Anyways, I have not been a fan for long, just 8 months or so, and I started to listen to the albums in reverse order, and I keep getting amazed by each new album I discover.

Every Opeth album is a great album fan boyz.

i think it's hard to compare opeth albums, since they are for the most part so diverse. but for argument's sake, Still Life is definitely overrated, SDP. Moonlapse vertigo is probably one of their worst songs i think. no other opeth album holds a candle to MAYH, especically not still life.

I don't think rating Opeth albums makes much sense, especially if you're comparing them to each other. They're changing as artists and thats going to be reflected in the recordings. I don't really rank their albums, although I might enjoy one more than another.