Still Life= overrated

Bump.
Well, I listened to Still Life for the first time in awhile, and realized it is a great album indeed. I guess I was just going through a SL-hating phase when I made this thread. I also have grown to appreciate and love the song Moonlapse Vertigo a lot more... and now that I think of it, BWP isn't quite as good as Still Life in a lot of areas. In fact I think I'd rank SL as my 3rd favorite Opeth album now. Sorry for making such a pointless thread, hah.

Yeah moonlapse vertigo really is great. One of my fav. opeth songs, and imo, the best song on the album with godhead's lament.

MasterOLightning said:
-first appearance of more traditional song structures.
So? Traditional song structures aren't necessarily bad. Plus Still Life is the first Opeth album where the songs actually feel like coherent songs as opposed to random riffs thrown together.

MasterOLightning said:
-I don't like the album cover at all.
Me neither, but that has nada to do with the music.

MasterOLightning said:
-Moonlapse Vertigo and SPD are structurally identical for the most part.
Sorta...but I don't think this really hurts the album.

All in all though, BWP>Still life.

I know what I like and that's the end.Period. Everyone should know their will always be different opinions. For anyone who cares: There is an Aussie sight called--Pyromusic.net where a reviewer said quite simply that "Pale Folklore" by Agalloch and "Still Life" were 1 and 2 metal releases for 1999. I've read many sterling comments on Still Life, but MAYH seems to get a little more praise. Peace.

sister ophelia said:
I love Opeth, but in the grand scheme of things, they are neither superstars nor megasellers, so how can ANY of their albums or songs respectively be over- or underrated?

What the fuck man.
It's a dated comment but it jumped out at me due to its stupidity.

First of all, you can't tell me that Opeths commercial status has anything the fuck to do with how good a band they are. Secondly, why would you even mention the commercial status of a band when talking about being 'overrated or underrated'? People reach that level not because they're overrated but because what they produce is so generally appealing to the masses that it sells. Just a stupid comment man, talking shit.

edit: and no SL is not overrated its just different. Like GR!

All of their albums I love for different reasons- there is no one album which is better then the rest. Of course, on certain days I prefer different ones, but overall all are amazing in their own right.

Still Life is not overrated at all. I normally do prefer My Arms, Your Hearse, but Still Life still holds beautiful music and is an amazing CD and concept album.

Okey, first of all:
No Opeth-album sucks, and in my opinion no Opeth-songs suck either, (okey, maybe Circle of Tyrants). I am sure that the bonus tracks would be better if it haven't been for the poor quality.

I think there are no overrated Opeth-album, not at all!
Still Life is fantastic, but i think BWP is a masterpeace because of the BWP-song. I stand with a litle gasp why people think that is a overrated song, and I would like to hear some arguments on that one. I think it's their best.
Heh, I just realized that it's quite difficult to describe music, you just have to hear it man! :)

I'm no great fan of Orchid, and I think the reason is because of the sound.
I like the new sound better from MAYH -> now.
I also think Orchid would sound better in my ears with a reissue or something.

I like to consider my self as a Metal-fanatic, but I also would like to know why most of the Opeth fans don't like Damnation. THAT my friends is pure genious of a record, it should go in the history books of alltime records!
I want some opinions and arguments why you consider this album as your least favourite album. I mean comon, i could show that to my grandmother and she would love it, and she isn't even alive to day! :cry:

Heh, maybe I'm out of my mind, but hey, it's all about opinions at the bitter end!

PEAC EOUT! :kickass: