Still Life= overrated

I'm sure many will accuse me of being a newbie or something, but I have to say that of all Opeth I've heard (which is around 75%)... Ghost Reveries is the masterpiece. So many shifting sonic landscapes. Skull crushing heavy at times, and transcendental at times inspiring comparisons to George Harrison in the Magical Mystery Tour era or even Lateralus-era Tool. Good shit. Definitely one of my favorite CDs.

Moonlapse said:
Moonlapse Vertigo

slfrequency4mr.jpg

Demon of the Fall

mayhfrequency5qm.jpg

The Twilight is My Robe

orchidfrequency0cb.jpg

Hahaha the bottom bits look like the outlines of japanese anime warriors.

ahnkou said:
...I think that Still Life opens better and harder but doesnt provide the punch of an ending that MAYH has with demon of the fall etc
i don't know what MAYH do you have, but my MAYH definitely does NOT end with Demon Of The Fall...

I agree with this. I got SL at the same time as BWP and BWP just slays it, SL becomes boring in comparisation. yet Melinda and Benighted are flawless.

when there's an overrated Opeth album then it is BWP for sure. it becomes boring compared to SL for example, although SL has some weaker moments too, like Face Of Melinda or large parts of White Cluster, SPD or The Moor. on the other hand SL has a lot of phantastic moments like Godhead's Lament, Moonlapse Vertigo or Benighted while on BWP only Dirge For November and Harvest stand out as great tracks, imo...

Mr. Josey Wales said:
my arms your hearse seems to me to perfectly mesh emotional lyrics, with emotional guitar sounds. they havent replicated that since imo.

"runaway.."

"the rain was waving goodbye.."

"and i cried"

"the final spark that blew life into me..the demon of the fall."

"you have nothing left to gain...you have nothing left to lose"

"captured by the night..."

"recognize...my loneliness"

etc.

i could care less if mayh was playing with pots and pans, the sound is PERFECT for the emotional vibe of the album. i cant say that about SL.
That sounds... emo :(

Sorry, Emo and Emotional Music are two TOTALLY different ballparks. Emo is not emotional... it's bitchy gay skinny boys singing about girls and trying to maintain being "straight". Emotional music is more like SRV, Pink Floyd, A Perfect Circle, and yes... Opeth.

Zeta7 said:
Sorry, Emo and Emotional Music are two TOTALLY different ballparks. Emo is not emotional... it's bitchy gay skinny boys singing about girls and trying to maintain being "straight". Emotional music is more like SRV, Pink Floyd, A Perfect Circle, and yes... Opeth.

I know.

Hence why I am so against categorising music or people as being 'emo'. Because, sorry, but 'emo' is supposedly nothing more than short for 'emotional'. Emotional music is singing about your girlfriend, remember.

please fuck your selves.... none of opeths albums are at all overrated and you cant get tired of them...
"I agree with this. I got SL at the same time as BWP and BWP just slays it, SL becomes boring in comparisation. yet Melinda and Benighted are flawless."
well i seem to understand the problem here... you like acoustic music more than heavy... and that makes them seem better...

all the tracks are great...even though benighted is great, cool riffs and well structured it cannot in my opinnion be up there with the other tracks because benighted is not what opeth is about, benighted would be without the repeats a great part of a song...

Still Life is my second favorite Opeth album, the first one being BWP.

Actually these are the only two albums that I can put in my personal favorite Opeth scale in definite order :Spin:

-Vintersorg- said:
I know.

Hence why I am so against categorising music or people as being 'emo'. Because, sorry, but 'emo' is supposedly nothing more than short for 'emotional'. Emotional music is singing about your girlfriend, remember.
Does this mean that... you are better than me? :erk:

It is true is it not?

Rats.

But I love Pizza so it is ok. :)