Doubling mono guitar without phase issues

This technique doesn't make any practical sense to me, what do you when you have a part that is played only once in the song? You're fucked.

It comes really handy in the studio when for example you want to quad track. You can move parts around like this and save time yet achieving what you would by really tracking four guitars in a part. Even for double tracking, I use this technique with bands that can't afford much time and It always works.

Yeah if you're tracking, then of course! But if you have something to mix (a live recording for instance in the case of your thread), I think it's useless. And again, if you mix a three piece band, don't add instruments or overdubs, that's just ridiculous :)

What I've done with live stuff like that is pretty much what xFkx suggested above; just pan the bass to the other channel and guitar to the other. Seems to work better if you mono the low end. Then I've many times put some short hard panned room reverb on the other end of the guitar to fill the channel with the bass a little bit, adds some nice depth to the guitar too to compensate for the sparseness of having just one track of guitar on one speaker. Haven't really gotten any good results with haas delays on that stuff since it starts to sound weird pretty fast, but with mono keyboards on live stuff that I want less of in the center it's worked well enough, maybe with some soft chorus on top as well.

@Heabow haha. that was kinda an experiment to see how many people would download it. it's not that bad thought.

@Brett yeah, it's useless for a live recording. i've just doubled the guitar track and delayed it until I hear no phase issues.
It worked OK I guess.

@ze kink I tried that but in the end just delaying the one side worked the best ;)

There was a good Pensado's Place IN THE LAIR segment where he took a single vocal and faked a double. You end up taking a single part and automating the time and pitch to simulate a different take. He was using this to stack vocals, but it might be a little useful for making a mono source into stereo.

I'm actually rendering a live recording right now and slapped a reverb with no time or predelay onto a mono ambient track, which effectively made it a stereo track. Sounds good. I'm kind of rushed right now, but if I find time, I'll post a quick clip of before and after. Also, I don't see this working that great for a guitar track that you need super intelligible, but it also might work.

ADT is very cool, but it will just makes things "stereo", the modulations of minor (or when live, major :D) differences in playing can only be achieved by retracking the guitar. I do generally think that it would be possible to create a plugin that could mimic a second time playthrough very well, if it chopped the part up, shuffled the waves around a bit and added extremely minor pitch changes. I think that could be like 99% if done well. Pretty much a complicated version of a MIDI humanizer.

In the acacia strain dvd, there is a second guitar added., i think there was no need for that, it kills the live factor of it .

Specially audible during pinch harmonics and other stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
copy guitar track, shift it 17ms back. pan both L/R, profit.

second chance: reamp through 2 (or more) amps at the same time with different settings, mic placements etc. and you can get a pretty decent stereo width without the typical "chorussy" effect my first suggestion or most doubling plugins give you ..