downgrading interfaces

bryan_kilco

Nov 22, 2007
Poconos, PA
Maybe you guys can help me decide what to do here.

I own a Profire 2626. But my "better"/newer computer (laptop) has no firewire port. So, I use my older computer which is slow as all hell. It gets the job done, but makes me nervous.

So I'm thinking about selling the 2626 and getting a USB interface.

What would you recommend that is equal to or around the same quality as the 2626, only in USB? Or am I better off keeping the 2626 and saving to get a new computer? (Though firewire is basically going down the drain, from what I hear?)

Thought about one of those. Used the 1641(?) years back and it did ok tracking drums.

Is it possible to link the 2626 to one of these, does anyone know? Doesn't appear so according to the rear panel in the pics.

They're cheap enough that I'd end up keeping the 2626 I suppose and if I can link them, that'd be superb!

Anyone here compare the 2 units ever? Any big difference in audio quality?

Nah, no ADAT to link them, its got Spdif but thats only a two channel maximum each way.

Upgrade your computer (i.e. buy new computer), it would be stupid to do otherwise. Usb2 interfaces are simply not up to the task as far as multichannel recording is concerned (especially more than 2 channels). Usb3 might be another story.

What about Focusrite Scarlett 18i20? Should be similar but with usb.

That is the one I was going to suggest. I think they're supposed to be similar to the Saffire Pro 40.

I want one too, but I can't get anyone to tell me the release date. It seems to have been pushed back a few times. I asked in March and got told first week in April, and I asked again yesterday and got told early May. I can't find a UK seller who is shipping yet, no idea of the stock situation where you are though.

:lol:

I'm soooo torn right now. I want so much different stuff but can't make up my mind what to get first. I need a car, that's for sure. A Mesa OS cab and road cases, new interface, new computer, etc won't get me back and forth to work and band practice/shows. :lol:

I might just rough it and stick with my current setup. I just absolutely HATE having to bounce sessions from shit computer to my external, then from external to better (mixing) computer, then after editing/mixing, send back to external. Shit starts getting jumbled and confusing.

Upgrade your computer (i.e. buy new computer), it would be stupid to do otherwise. Usb2 interfaces are simply not up to the task as far as multichannel recording is concerned (especially more than 2 channels). Usb3 might be another story.

I have to disagree. I have the Tascam 1641, and have tracked bands live using it with no issues (mic'd drums, bass DI, mic'd amps).

Roland Octa-Capture http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1127/498

I've been looking into an interface with at least 8 inputs for a while now and I'm pretty much sold on both the features and price point of the Octa-Capture - it's a 10x10 w/8 pres. It's gotten great reviews and I like the feature set including the ability to chain two together as a 20x20 (16 pres) interface through Roland's VS STREAMING which allows the aggregate of the ins/outs over ASIO (it sees the multiple devices as one device).

Craig Anderton did a very in-depth review of it HERE

Own a US-1800, very stable. Windows 7 and reaper work seamlessly. I don't prefer the preamps or the conversion though. Food for thought.

I have to disagree. I have the Tascam 1641, and have tracked bands live using it with no issues (mic'd drums, bass DI, mic'd amps).
It may work, as in your and Red Dog's cases. On the other hand I've witnessed a situations where there would be dropouts during a 2 channel recording done via an usb2 interface. Generally speaking, usb2 interfaces are not reliable enough for multi channel recording.
I am not a masochist and wouldn't want to test my nerves anticipating if and when there will be a dropout or two, especially if I'm paid to record other people's work. It already is a highly stressful job, wouldn't want to add anything more to it.

In this case simply put it would be stupid to sell a good working fw interface only to replace it with probably an inferior usb2 interface, when OP could test his patience, save up and buy a better computer, and still keep that well proven interface which he owns atm.

Focusrite Scarlett 18i20. You can use the ADAT to slave your 2626 to it and record 8 more tracks, too.

The Tascam is an ok interface, but quite a step down from your 2626 IMO. Fairly poor preamps and conversion, and I had all kinds of issues with latency and dropouts with the one I had.

The new Scarlett line is supposed to be great on latency and USB is fully capable of running a high track count. It's not the interface's issue, it's the hardware you're plugging into it. The RME UFX was actually A LOT more stable on the USB input than it was on the FW input for me, and the Apogee Symphony runs on USB, as well. Speed wise, USB 2.0 is actually faster than FireWire 400.