Firewire to USB?!

Just return it while you still have a chance to do it. Get another one that has Firewire port or a Express Card slot. The express card slot would almost be better since you could get a firewire card with a TI chip instead of the crap most Laptops have in them.

Don't wait too long and regret it, do it now while you still can. I would've done it immediately as soon as i found out.

Get rid of it and buy something with a Express Slot.

Seriously I have a toshiba WITH an express slot and my Saffire pro40 doesnt work with it AT ALL no matter what expansion card I used. Toshibas just SUCK

That's really odd.. So the laptop won't recognize the Saffire at all? I'm being given a Toshiba laptop soon and it has an express slot, i was planning on using it for some mobile recording but now this has me worried. Still im getting it for free so there is no loss for me.

To the OP, i would definitely return it and get something else then. Don't waste your money on something you didn't want. You'll end up regretting it and you'll never truly be satisfied with it.

Get rid of it and buy something with a Express Slot.

Seriously I have a toshiba WITH an express slot and my Saffire pro40 doesnt work with it AT ALL no matter what expansion card I used. Toshibas just SUCK

The Pro 40 works on my Toshiba Satellite A500 17x. Though I do have to disable the video card, wifi and the battery in hardware devices for some reason, and also restart the computer with the expresscard plugged in.Then it works fine.

Get a USB interface then

To me this doesn't make sense. He already has a good interface capable of everything he will probably ever need, so why get rid of it? Selling the profire for something USB will probably end up making him loose a bit of money and downgrading his interface. The Laptop is still new and he still has a chance to return it and exchange it for something else that would be best for his needs.

Yeah I'm actually thinking about selling the ProFire and getting the Fast Track Ultra 8 input USB interface. You guys think the recording quality would suffer compared to the Profire?

Thanks for the help so far.

I don't know if the actual recording quality would be any different, but I think you would notice higher latency with USB. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

I don't know if the actual recording quality would be any different, but I think you would notice higher latency with USB. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

USB is actually capable of lower latencies than FireWire, some of the newer USB interfaces are better choices for even people who DO have FireWire ports.

If I recall correctly, the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8 and the RME UFX and UC are the best performing non-PCI interfaces on the market currently as far as latency goes. I would switch to a UFX from my ProFire in a heart beat and only use the USB connection.