Dragon*Con

Rider of Theli

The Hellequin
Mar 1, 2004
Hiram, Ga
myspace.com
ok, so who's going? ...besides me?

and if you're going, what are your plans? I will be in attendance all four days but I am not staying overnight.

ME: Pro Wrestling Friday night; Parade Saturday morning; cruising the dealers/exhibitors rooms most of the day Saturday and Sunday; panels for the Hobbit movie and any D&D related gaming (including MMOs); and lots of people watching and photo op's.

yeah, I'm a geek. :wave:

I am looking forward to the Film track as some of the indie and short films sound really cool. I do enjoy movies quite a bit.

The feature length movie using machinima from Neverwinter Nights 2 sounds promising as well.

We're not going again until they vastly improve the ticketing process.

while standing in that 3+ hour line for a $40 Saturday pass last year I spent the $45 necessary to secure a 4-day membership this year. And I will pick up my badge on Thursday night before the event starts. There will be no 3+ hour line for me this year.

Guaran-damn-teed! :heh:

I'm looking forward to my new "Dark Fantasy" track. I have an amazing list of guests.

Gee, yeah, I'll be there from Thursday night through Tuesday afternoon. I'll most often be in 'my' area, which is the Hyatt Concourse: outside Registration where the band-tables are, and the floor above with 'my' acoustic stage.

while standing in that 3+ hour line for a $40 Saturday pass last year I spent the $45 necessary to secure a 4-day membership this year. And I will pick up my badge on Thursday night before the event starts. There will be no 3+ hour line for me this year.

There are sometimes decent-sized lines on Thursday, too. Just plan on waiting for a while and if you get through in less than an hour, be happy. :)

I'll be down at the Marriott for the concert there on Thursday night, as two friends' bands are playing. NOTE to those interested in the nighttime shows: some will be in the Hyatt, but some will be in the Marriott this year also. That's a first for D*C.

I'm looking forward to my new "Dark Fantasy" track. I have an amazing list of guests.

Yep, you sure do!

There are sometimes decent-sized lines on Thursday, too. Just plan on waiting for a while and if you get through in less than an hour, be happy. :)

it's been several years since I've had to wait more than 15-20 minutes in a line on Thursday night. The last few times I've had a four-day pass, I've gone straight to a window and gotten my badge and been on my way. ;)

wow, any more information on this one? I'd like to check it out.

also, I'm hoping there will be a screening of Dead Gentlemen Production's sequel to the Gamers... Gamers 2: Dorkness Rising. :lol:

http://www.dragoncon-mmo.org/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=80884699dfcb9edd0675926f431c6ba1&page=11

12:00 AM Machinima Feature: BloodSpell
BloodSpell is Strange Company's first feature length project and is written and directed by Machinima pioneer, Hugh Hancock. Join Christina Rollins (aka Romily) to see BloodSpell, the first feature-length Machinima animated film made using the game Neverwinter Nights. Don't miss this pioneering machinima epic!

We waited closer to 4 than 3 hours, which in either case is unacceptable. Had it been just me I'd have left long before reaching one of the four counters open to 40,000 people.

Since we have no intention of attending all 4 days we probably won't be back until they allow the presale of single day passes.

I second Paul's sentiments about Thursday. Last year it was packed. Luckily, there is no track programming on Thursday, so I could take it somewhat as a day of rest before the storm hits.

Anyway, for those interested, my track's website is http://darkfantasytrack.blogspot.com/. It has links to my programming and other fun stuff.

No longer sure if I'll be able to make it out there. The years I went (didn't go last year either but the two years before it) there were no line issues. I usually got there sometime around 10 on saturday on those days.

I enjoy the art show and music. I no longer care for the vendor area.

But due to money constraints not sure if I'm going to come for even one day. I'd love to check out some of what Ruthven is offering, even though I don't know anything about any of those people (other than Englund and I subscribe to Weird Tales). I'd love to have a valuable conversation with various people in the horror industry about what exactly is horror, why we like it, what value it has, and why the community is allowing shotty excuses for horror to be so well revered.

No longer sure if I'll be able to make it out there. The years I went (didn't go last year either but the two years before it) there were no line issues. I usually got there sometime around 10 on saturday on those days.

You never know which lines will be short and when. Some years the TicketMaster 'will call' line is short, and then the following year it seems longer (possibly because people saw others whizzing through it the year before, and got a TM ticket instead...)

It makes it challenging to staff and handle Registration at the con. Glad that's not MY job!

I enjoy the art show and music. I no longer care for the vendor area.

I seldom buy anything in the dealers' room or exhibit hall, although last year I bought a brass torc -- unusual for me.

I like the Art Show and of course, some years the music is a highlight. I've staged some memorable performances at D*C on the acoustic stage, plus I try to play at the drum circle each night.
But due to money constraints not sure if I'm going to come for even one day. I'd love to check out some of what Ruthven is offering, even though I don't know anything about any of those people (other than Englund and I subscribe to Weird Tales). I'd love to have a valuable conversation with various people in the horror industry about what exactly is horror, why we like it, what value it has, and why the community is allowing shotty excuses for horror to be so well revered.

Note that Sunday one-day memberships are relatively cheap, but Saturday one-days are quite pricey. I find this odd, since the 'big' band (Mindless Self Indulgence) is performing on Sunday.....

Note that Sunday one-day memberships are relatively cheap, but Saturday one-days are quite pricey. I find this odd, since the 'big' band (Mindless Self Indulgence) is performing on Sunday.....

While I've never been to a con that actually had well known national acts, that is standard pricing for cons. For a $50 con, Friday will usually be $25, Sat $35 & Sun $20 due in part to the biggest con related events usually occurring Saturday night but also because Sundays usually only goes until 6 PM. I'm sure you're also pretty aware of that but I imagine if they upped the price for Sunday simply because of the band, people going Sunday only but having no interest in the band would be pretty pissed. The only way they could really make more off it is charging for the MSI show (I thought D*C did that?).

I boycott D*C. I have the easy pass method, but after the fiasco last time, I'm not putting my bf through that drama (can't afford it either). So, until CellDweller is on the band track, I won't be showing up.

I guess DC has grown a bit, been a very long time since I've been.

Answer me this. What was the big Atlanta con that used to take place at the Omni in Atlanta back in the early 80s? My age is obviously affecting my memory.

While I've never been to a con that actually had well known national acts, that is standard pricing for cons. For a $50 con, Friday will usually be $25, Sat $35 & Sun $20 due in part to the biggest con related events usually occurring Saturday night but also because Sundays usually only goes until 6 PM.

Umm, what Ruthven said. Since D*C runs 4 full days over a holiday weekend, it ends on Monday. Sunday is actually the 'biggest' day since the Masquerade is held on Sunday.

I'm sure you're also pretty aware of that but I imagine if they upped the price for Sunday simply because of the band, people going Sunday only but having no interest in the band would be pretty pissed.

Agreed. 'Course, people going on Saturday with no interest in that night's bands might be pissed. :)

The only way they could really make more off it is charging for the MSI show (I thought D*C did that?).

Nope, concerts are all included in the membership price. I don't think we've ever charged extra for a concert.

I boycott D*C. I have the easy pass method, but after the fiasco last time, I'm not putting my bf through that drama (can't afford it either). So, until CellDweller is on the band track, I won't be showing up.

Sheeeit, it wasn't from lack of trying!

For the third year in a row, the word back from Klayton was "we won't be ready to do a live gig." I've written them off for the future. A shame, since Dragon*Con would have been THE perfect way for them to promote.

I guess DC has grown a bit, been a very long time since I've been.

Answer me this. What was the big Atlanta con that used to take place at the Omni in Atlanta back in the early 80s? My age is obviously affecting my memory.

Atlanta Fantasy Fair, probably. I was a fairly loyal attendee right up until the end, when things began getting....dark.