Dragon*Con 2009

Ruthven

Sep 13, 2003
With ProgPower being held just days after, I am not sure how many of you are planning on making Dragon*Con next year Sept. 4-7. However, if you are planning on attending D*C, I would advise looking into booking a room post-haste. I try to avoid a lot of "sky is falling" malarky, but the rooms at the host hotels are going fast. Some people have said that all of the rooms have already been booked; I'll be honest, I don't know if that is just people panicking or not. I suspect that the "Dragon*Con block" rooms have been booked. Nevertheless, if D*C is a possibility next year and you want a room, you might want to jump on it.

Yeah, that's what some people are saying. I haven't heard any kind of official word, but between the football fans, and the other conventions that weekend, a lot of people jumped the gun and went reservation-crazy.

Yep, apparently some overzealous fan managed to cadge the secret Dragon*Con group reservation discount code out of one of the hotels wayyy early, and the rooms have been going fast.

For those looking to make it a looong vacation, Dragon*Con might be a viable option to combine with ProgPower since they're basically only one day apart. Viz:

Thursday Sept 3rd: Dragon*Con begins (for me, anyway; there are some bands performing Thurs. night)
Friday Sept 4th: Dragon*Con's first "official" day
Saturday Sept 5th: second day
Sunday Sept 6th: third day
Monday Sept 7th: Lastday! (But I check out on Tuesday, so....)
Tuesday Sept 8th: Check-out and go home day
Wednesday Sept 9th: Prog-Power USA Pre-Party Thingie
Thursday Sept 10th: ProgPower USA Showcase
Friday Sept 11th: ProgPower USA Day 1
Saturday Sept 12th: ProgPower USA Day 2

I can't wait for the look of disbelief when I hand in my vacation request at work for all this. :heh: :erk:

I can't wait for the look of disbelief when I hand in my vacation request at work for all this. :heh: :erk:

I am already planning ahead for it, luckily my boss is pretty cool about it. He knows that with Dragon*Con, I am getting leadership and organizational experience that can be useful for the company.

I'm really looking forward to the refinement of the track next year. Last year's name-change and rebranding had the exact effect I was going for. My urban fantasy posse is already starting to organize.

He knows that with Dragon*Con, I am getting leadership and organizational experience that can be useful for the company.

Wow, way to parlay a 'working vacation' into work credit!

My manager will turn up her nose...and probably Telephone Systems Support will deny my vacation request for at least one or two of the days in there. :erk:

I wish I knew about this a month ago. We brought up Comicon this year but it hasn't been seriously discussed and it's the weekend before my friend's convention in CT. Only so much "nerd" I can take in a short period of time ;)

Actually, the Marriott is probably a better overall hotel. And our contract with the hotels usually required them to be pretty close on prices, too. :heh:

I agree. It looked splendid and I heard more favorable reviews of the staff, but it was already booked within a few days so I had to settle for the Hilton... I sound kind of pompous saying I had to "settle" for a luxury hotel when all I've ever stayed in are Motel 6s :lol:

Cool, be sure to look me and Derek up, closer to D*C. Hopefully we'll have some good bands in the mix this year to enhance our nighttime fun. (And if not, you'll find me playing in the drum-circle.)

For those of you who are interested, I finally got my programming track write-up together -

"Horror and Urban Fantasy converge on the Dark Fantasy track - Dragon*Con’s home for all things macabre, sinister, and downright weird. From authors to artists, metaphysicians to musicians, from Hellboy to...well, "Hellraiser," this track is sure to offer something for everyone with a love for “the dark side.”

This year, the Dark Fantasy track will be sharpening its focus to bring you its best-ever programming in the fields of literature, film, television, art, music, and culture. We have a terrific line-up of speakers, ranging from established, best-selling authors to the stars of tomorrow. In 2009, the Dark Fantasy track will be examining lycanthropy, censorship, "Weird Tales" magazine, zombies, “True Blood,” gothic imagery in mainstream media, world-building in urban fantasy fiction, and succubi - among many other topics!"

Unofficially (i.e., not on the website yet) I believe The Cruxshadows and Emerald Rose are performing, but since the former is basically the "goth" house-band and the other is the "folk" house-band for the con, this isn't too surprising. :)

Beyond that....well, I'm getting a shit-pile of band applications forwarded to me as a courtesy if they're interested in performing acoustically. I don't have any authority to make any bookings, and I'm glad I don't. :)