DragonForce album #5

I like it! I'll be getting the album. At times I question the vocal melody but it sounds like ZP's putting a lot of energy into this -- seems like he enjoys it a lot more than the last Dragonforce album, anyway!

Also, the new Dragonforce album is AMAZING. Definitely the best stuff they've done in a *long* time.

Really enjoying the new album as well, the description that I've used is 'slimmer'

They've reined in some of the excessive soloing which was a bit over the top by having it on every single song on the album and came up with their shortest album (in terms of both overall length and average song length) and, imo, it's paid dividends

Going by Rich's Facebook post, it seems unlikely :lol:

That kind of shocked me though, considering what the new material is like -- this sounds like a much more stripped-down Dragonforce as of late, it really does sound more like Sonic Firestorm in that way. I'll of course have to wait and see for myself...

I was at the show last night too (bumped into Rich briefly!). I have to say, they have a long way to go. The backing vocals were VERY good, but I'm pretty sure they weren't backing tracks, whatever was implied. They slipped in and out of time too many times for that one to work, I think! Overall, they have a long way to go before they're going to be up to scratch. I had a good day out in Birmingham, but they were pretty disappointing.

Just listened to the new album in full for the first time having received it in today's post.

It's good, pretty good but I'm not wowed at this point by any stretch of the imagination. It's still not much different to their previous stuff except for making songs and solos shorter and a new singer that sounds quite different (and very good too).

I really enjoyed the first four songs, although with the exception of 'Cry Thunder' it is just all the songs from the last two albums minus the Ballads condensed into four songs.

'Wings of Liberty' disappointed me. First thirty seconds or so sounds great when you think it's gonna be a Ballad, then oh wait it's just another really fast song.

'Seasons' is a bit slower but bored me big time. The acoustic version is much better.

Next two songs I get the gist by now it's just the same old DF with a different singer and shorter songs.

Oh wait the last song is actually pretty good and enjoyable.

The end.

Obviously this is just my first listen. I haven't listened to much by Dragonforce apart from a few of their songs from the first two albums every now and then for the last year or two. The more typical DF songs of this album has kinda made me think that if I tried to listen to either of their last two albums now, I'd find it difficult to enjoy.

Given it a couple of more listens since. Enjoying it more now. The first four songs are really good, especially 'Holding On' and 'Give Me the Night'. My opinion of 'Wings of Liberty' has improved significantly, although I still think the beginning is a great set-up for a potential Ballad that's a bit wasted on that song.

I enjoyed 'Seasons' a bit more this time. The next two songs after that are a bit run of the mill but the last song is still great. I really like Marc's Vocals. Wonder if he'll sound as good live.

Given it a couple of more listens since. Enjoying it more now. The first four songs are really good, especially 'Holding On' and 'Give Me the Night'. My opinion of 'Wings of Liberty' has improved significantly, although I still think the beginning is a great set-up for a potential Ballad that's a bit wasted on that song.

I enjoyed 'Seasons' a bit more this time. The next two songs after that are a bit run of the mill but the last song is still great. I really like Marc's Vocals. Wonder if he'll sound as good live.

Based on the live videos I've seen of him singing Fallen World, Cry Thunder, and classic, really hard-to-sing songs like OGAP and FOTS, I have no doubt he'll be as good live! Plus by all reports he nailed that opening scream in Holding On when they played it a few nights ago, so I have all the confidence in the world in him.

Really hope they make a live DVD with Marc soon, or at least sometime after the sixth album, whenever they get around to that. It's about time the band makes one!

I have an offer to go see them in Milwaukee at the end of the month but I don't know if I can go, it'd take like 8 hours to drive there and that's my busiest day of work. And they're not coming any closer... arrgh I hope they come back and come to Chicago next time, they aren't hitting many US dates!

Wow wow wow wow WOW.

All reports I've heard of them not playing well live are so wrong. WOW.

The entire band was on FIRE when I saw them last night. No slip-ups, no bad tunings, everything was perfect. And then Marc - Marc is the shining star of this tour. He nailed every single high note, every key change, all the extremely difficult things like the screams and key changes in Fury of the Storm, that crazy opening wail in Holding On - and the way he ended the concert with that Valley of the Damned outro was just spectacular.

The backing vocals were on fire, too, and the band looked like they were having the time of their lives up there. What bad reports I have read (from the UK gigs recently it seems) must have been due to technical problems, because this was the tightest I'd ever seen the band - and it was one of the tightest performances I've seen by a band in general, honestly. They killed the solos and Marc killed his vocal parts.

What a great night. It was worth the 4-5 hour drive, easily.

Great to hear it sounds like you enjoyed the show immensely Mike!

Whilst I have yet to see the new line-up (will be doing so in October), I've seen DF previously 4 times and every time I think they've been very good, so won't be expecting less of this new line-up.