Dream setlists

Forest-of-October

Here comes the apple, zed
Oct 13, 2005
Vancouver Island.
I was hesitant to create this as I'm sure it's been done several hundred times in the past, but I scanned through over a dozen pages in search for an older thread and never found one.

I'm curious to know, what songs (about 10 or so) do you think would make up a great set list. Originals, covers, whatever you want. But please, try and be thoughtfull about it, and if any give reasons why.

1) Windowpane (it seemed so fitting when they came out and played this one first on the DVD)
2) April Ethereal (great way to come off a more mellow song)
3) The Apostle in Triumph
4) Godheads Lament
5) Harvest
8) To Bid You Farewell
9) Epilogue
10) Karma (this would be an amazing way to end a show!)

I think Still Day Beneath the Sun or one of the bonus tracks would be great to hear live too.
As far as covers go, I think (assuming any of you have played Silent Hill) if Per could learn a song called 'True' by Akira Yamaoka, that would sound great! Mike mentions the game as one of his favorites on his biography, so who knows...

Edit - I suppose for anyone who has never heard 'True' you can listen to it here: http://shm.dustfungo.com/sh2/audio/ost/SH2-24-True.mp3

1.The Moor
2.The Moor
3.The Moor
4.The Moor
5.The Moor
6.Isolation Years(need a ballad in there)
7.(encore)The Moor

Forest-of-October said:
I was hesitant to create this as I'm sure it's been done several hundred times in the past, but I scanned through over a dozen pages in search for an older thread and never found one.

I'm curious to know, what songs (about 10 or so) do you think would make up a great set list. Originals, covers, whatever you want. But please, try and be thoughtfull about it, and if any give reasons why.

1) Windowpane (it seemed so fitting when they came out and played this one first on the DVD)
4) Godheads Lament
5) Harvest
8) To Bid You Farewell
9) Epilogue

I think Still Day Beneath the Sun or one of the bonus tracks would be great to hear live too.

Eww. TBYF, Harvest and Epilogue would be dull @ a show.

TBYF? Dull? I think if they shortened it a bit it would be great.
Harvest is one of the best tracks off BWP imo, and Epilogue would make for a great ending at a show.

What would you suggest?

Forest-of-October said:
Harvest is one of the best tracks off BWP imo, and Epilogue would make for a great ending at a show.

What would you suggest?

Well thats the thing. TBYF is so long.
Perfect set list for me would be (in no order)

Ghost of Perdition
Deliverance
Godhead's Lament
Advent
The Leper Affinity
The Moor
Hope Leaves/Windowpane
Wreath (would love to see that live)
When
1) Black Rose Immortal
2) Silhouette (I'm guessing the rest of the band would need a break after BRI)
3) In My Time Of Need (To start up the second half)
4) Bleak
5) Ending Credits
6) Demon Of The Fall (because they always play it)

I know this would NEVER happened, but it would be perfect for me if they did.

What happened to 6 and 7 by the way?

Whoa, your right. I forgot to put a 6 and 7 so... how about

4) Godheads Lament
5) Harvest
6) Wreath (forgot to add it the first time, but damn, what an amazing song)
7) Advent
8) To Bid You Farewell (preferably shortened a little)
9) Epilogue

Forest-of-October said:

TBYF would be too long and boring.. even though i like the song. Also you chose too many mellow songs meaning it'd drag on a bit - there needs to be more variation in a set imo.
Atm i'd hope they play:
Prologue .. into..
April Ethereal
Bleak
In Mist She Was Standing
Closure
The Leper Affinity (w/ piano outro)
White Cluster
Blackwater Park
The Moor
Encore
Moonlapse Vertigo

...for me atm.. that would be an utterly amazing night.. definitely would be the best gig ever.

opeth_353 said:
TBYF would be too long and boring.. even though i like the song. Also you chose too many mellow songs meaning it'd drag on a bit - there needs to be more variation in a set imo.
Atm i'd hope they play:
Prologue .. into..
April Ethereal
Bleak
In Mist She Was Standing
Closure
The Leper Affinity (w/ piano outro)
White Cluster
Blackwater Park
The Moor
Encore
Moonlapse Vertigo

...for me atm.. that would be an utterly amazing night.. definitely would be the best gig ever.

Exactly my thoughts. Even though I enjoy Opeth's mellow-er songs, there is a time and place for everything :p. Shows deserve heavy songs.

Haha, the thing is - i'm sad enough to have sat there and really thought about my ideal set haha.
Of course the gig would be opened by Porcupine Tree, with the middle slot being taken by Enslaved.
And Mikael would be funnier than ever - even doing a minor slapstick take-off of The Three Stooges with Grutle and Steve Wilson!

opeth_353 said:
Haha, the thing is - i'm sad enough to have sat there and really thought about my ideal set haha.
Of course the gig would be opened by Porcupine Tree, with the middle slot being taken by Enslaved.
And Mikael would be funnier than ever - even doing a minor slapstick take-off of The Three Stooges with Grutle and Steve Wilson!

Quite. Indeed.

1) Leper Affinity
2) Funeral Portrait
3) Baying of the Hounds
4) Advent
5) Forest of October
6) Nectar
7) Patterns in the Ivy II
8) Wreath
9) Serenity Painted Death
10) Karma

maybe not the right order... but these songs i love and have yet to hear live (with the exception of Advent, Leper Affinity, and Baying of the Hounds).

i know... i'll always be partial to the older stuff. they're classics.

april ethereal
godheads lament
the moor
ghost of perdition
leper affinity
harlequin forest
when
advent
baying of the hounds
epilogue

moonlapse

gop

april eth

when

white cluster

black rose

the twillight

funeral

btpisio

apostle best ever live song i reckon

isolation years.

Ghost of Perdition
Harlequin Forest
The Grand Conjuration
Patterns In The Ivy II
Hope Leaves
Epilogue
Advent
When
Serenity Painted Death
Dirge for November
Deliverance
By The Pain I See In Others

This would require a 2 hr set which would be nice compared to their usual 1 1/2 hr performances

Ghost of Perdition
Hope Leaves
Baying of the Hounds
The Lepper Affinity
The Moor
Blackwater Park
Windowpane
When
Demon of the Fall
April Ethereal