Dream Theater 2014 Tour - Who's Opening?

AeonicSlumber,

It looks like Dream Theater shoots for venues in New York with higher capacities than the places they normally play elsewhere in the States. As I understand it, the Nikon at Jones Beach Theater has a general admission area that holds 5,000 people. That alone is twice the size of the venues that the band plays anywhere else in the country, so I'm sure that the place would look somewhat emptier by comparison. I think the band certainly has a chance of selling out the smaller venues.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

The whole point in charging a ton of money for a ticket for one band is that you don't have to sell out a show to make a profit. It's a classic marketing strategy in charging premium prices knowing full well that you won't get as many people as if you had a $30 ticket, but with higher margins you could make more money in the aggregate if you get enough fans. Kind of like how the luxury auto industry works! haha

LOL - Good one my good man!!!

So this is ok for Dream Theater, but NOT for Manowar???

Only DT has the right to appeal to their die hard fans?

EDIT - Arguments with Jasonic are pointless. Life is too short to pay attention to what he says. He's nothing but an instigator, and a crappy one for that matter.

Jason, you need to get out more.

47498258.jpg

At the train station. Please continue arguing while I listen to some death metal band called Vampire.

Saving the DT for tonight :headbang:

Not being able to read this badly should be a banable offense until you come back literate.

Going to saunter over to the Bell Centre in a couple of hours. Kicking back in the hotel after enjoying a Rapini Pizza with a glass of Sangria. I love Montreal! Hope they play SDV.

Amazing show. 3 hours long. Same set as Toronto. LaBrie was singing fine. Funny joke about Schwartzs but I prefer Dunns myself. Speaking of which, I'm hungry. The Looking Glass took me back to seeing shows in the 80s. Love that the hotel is a 5 minute walk. Everyone seems happier on stage then when I saw them in 2008 (2007?), 2009 & 2010.
T-shirts were $40 - $45. Got an Enigma Machine one.

Yep. That was like Maiden 2006 prices (Montreal). The last DT shirt I bought was in 2010 (Vancouver). Think it was $30. Overkill last year was $25 I think.

I don't want to think what Sabbath is going to charge.

No more than Dream Theater apparently. I got a Sabbath shirt at the show in Los Angeles last September, it was $40.

About three weeks until Dream Theater is in my neck of the woods, super excited about that.

I saw Iron Maiden in 2012 for the Maiden England Tour. Shirts were $40. I figured that was average price.

Sitting in my hotel room. Having a Starbucks breakfast ($6.79 :OMG: ) and reflecting on last night's show.

The fabric of the shirts are quite thin. Wish DT used the same company that made the PPX shirt. That one is durable.

The strobe lights irritated my eyes a bit (quick flashes) so be careful if your epileptic. I'm not but I had to look away.

There was maybe 5000-7000 in attendance. Some section of the Bell Centre were closed off.

The new drummer looked very happy to be there. He wasn't trying to be in the spotlight like Portnoy.

Weird seeing grandparents & parents take their 15 year olds to a show. Guess DT are one of last remaining arena rock bands.

Some pyro would have been nice.

Space Dye Vest was pleasant. Odd seeing iPhone lights mixed with cigarette lighters. White and Orange.

Good set list but I Walk Beside You and The Count of Tuscany could have replaced some of the Scenes tunes. The show would have benefitted from 2-3 catchier songs.

Along For Ride works well live. Hope it becomes a staple.

Bar none. DT are the best Prog metal band going. They successfully usurped Queensryche.

Hey TDD (btw remind me of getting your actual name at the elevator this year, lol), how was Labrie's voice in Montreal?

I am 5 days away from NYC and I am absolutely, 100% psyched about the show. I simply can't wait to see them. I haven't seen DT in a few years and can't remember the last time I was this excited to see them.

Too bad shirts are overpriced - but not on the website... :headbang: