What do you think?

• Octavarium is t3h Pwn493

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • An album too far!!!

Votes: 33 50.8%
  • I never liked DT

Votes: 15 23.1%

• Total voters
I like DT, but I havent listend all that much to them. And I havent listend too much too the latest though..

But what I have heard I am not impressed. :ill: Perhaps I need to listen more..

April Etheral said:
She plays french horn...one of the unsexy instruments :p
But it does make her good at blowing ;) :loco:

I played the french horn in middle school, thought I was hot shit. Did teach me a bit about music, but overall you're right, not extremely sexy.

I think Octavarium is one of their weakest albums, allthough the band have no crappy albums. All their albums are good, some better than others like; Images And Words, Awake and Scenes from a memory. Octavarium had a pop-taste to it. Example "I walk beside you" and "The Answer Lies Within." I think these two songs ruined a potentially great record. "Panic Attack" in particular is pretty good prog. But all together Octavariun is for me at the bottom DT-wise, and just an avrage prog-metal record.

Hmmm... nobody mentioned of "Falling Into Infinity". Especially the album where Myung uses the Slap Bass Stick. I kinda got hooked on DT a while back when Change of Seasons and FII came out. Those two albums were incredible alone, and for a change, everybody got to hear DT cover other bands. Including Pink Floyd's Into the Flesh and Elton John's Funeral For a friend...

However, the new stuff doesn't compare. Very bland. The heavy metal parts are heavy, but it sounds like something I've heard elsewhere... like off a Children of Bodom album(even those guys are making a comeback with "Are you Dead Yet?"). The only conceptual originality I ever remember last hearing from those guys was off "The Glass Prison" on Six Degrees, but even then... the latter part of that album was junk. I only remember about 3 songs I actually liked off that album, and the rest were skipped(although it was cool to hear Petrucci downtune his guitar again to drop A).

I'M GOING TO GO LISTEN TO SOME MESHUGGAH NOW. lol

i think awake is one of the best albums in the metal history at all.images&words,scenes from memory are awesome albums too.a lot of fan didn't like train of thought but i like it.but octavarium is the worst album in their career i think.after kevin moore's farewell they lost their way.he was the balance factor of the band after him petrucci wrote very long solos and lost spirit and melody.it become a machine.i prefer james labrie's elements of....

i love all their albums out of what ive heard
ive heard all of it cept most of sdoit
i agree that most of octavarium is crap

its seems a lot of people share my view

I hope they either change completely with their next album or just give it up cos this new style is just awful

Maybe its just cos since i got into DT about 2 years ago i've started listeneing to very extreme music so their new stuff just sounds weak to me

One of my main complaints is that its not even prog anymore!
It doesn't have that majestic quality

Don Corleone said:
after "scenes," it's all downhill. period.

Yep, I'm with you. As someone already said, 3 albums too far. They're stuck in a rut at the moment IMHO :yuk:

I loved all their albums up to and including 6DOIT. After that it just wasn't the same. Haven't heard Octavarium yet, and probably won't bother after what I've heard about it.

At least one album too far definitely.

I know this will make me a minority, but Train Of Thought is the only Dream Theater album that I can enjoy...I rediscovered it after reading this thread, and I have to say, it fucking owns! There are a few drawbacks:

1. Nearly every other vocalist going > James LaBrie
2. Some REALLY shitty keyboard sounds
3. Not very good lyrics

But the bulk of the songs is excellent, and it has this marvellous thick sound that I love. It's fiddly like DT is supposed to be....but not TOO fiddly.

Octavarium is not as bad as I thought it would be from the reviews, but then I've only heard about half of it. But then....the reviewers slaughtered it, so it would have been REALLY hard to be that bad. It's a poor follow up, in my opinion.