Please recommend some prog bands

robb said:
saw them at homebake im guessing?

i missed that one, was at motley instead ;)

i've seen them prolly over 50 times, maybe around 10 times between the bulli RSL and wollongong uni?

keep an eye out, they're pretty loyal to the uni.

and yes, lucius is one awesome drummer. he played a fantastic solo at the uni once actually, fkn tops.

Actually it was at the Musicoz Awards. I was working there so I had the pleasre of seeing them do soundcheck and of hanging out with them etc...
I have seen them 3 times, at Bulli, Wollongong Youth centre and then the awards night. Missed them at the uni. was very unimpressed with myself.

iF YOU WANT GREAT PROGRESSIVE METAL CHECK OUT THE FOLLOWING:

WASTERFALL - FROM GREECE
FRAGILE VASTNESS - GREECE
LORD OF MUSHROOMS - FRANCE
PYRAMAZE - AWESOME BAND FROM DENMARK/USA LANCE KING ON VOCALS
MINDFLOW - BRAZIL
CLOUDSCAPE - NORWAY
CIRCUS MAXIMUS - NORWAY
ORPHANED LAND - ISRAEL
PANTOMMIND - BULGARIA
OUTWORLD - USA THIS IS THE NEW DIRECTION OF PROGRESSIVE METAL
CEA SERIN - USA
LEE Z - GERMANY
LANFEAR - GERMANY

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, THE CAPITALS HELPED MAKE YOUR POST MORE IMPORTANT THAN EVERYONE ELSES. :p

Tool are great as said previously.
I loved Dream Theater for a while...not so much anymore.
Porcupine Tree are always a pleasure.

A Reason To Sing said:
Aside from all the Opeth I listen to, heck, Opeth is everyday. I can't sleep without at least one Opeth song. It's become an everyday routine.

I like Dream Theater a lot! I prefer the older stuff to the newer, but Octavarium is a pretty solid album. When I bought it on it's debut, the album didn't really amaze. However, the more I listened to it, the more it grew on me. My favorite DT album would have to be Train of Thought. DT hosts some amazing guitarist(s)... I'll tell you that.

Pain of Salvation - Pain is wicked. Some of their stuff sort of feels like it isn't even metal at, but I like their music.

Porcupine Tree, Liquid Tension, Adagio, Cynic! (Focus rocks!), Spiral Architect' ...all kinds of good music.

Though I'm sure there's lots of talent that I haven't discovered yet.

-Peace

Hmmm, well you seem to want more prog-metal than pure prog, so plenty of what people have suggested will be right up your alley. However, if you want some real prog, head straight for the 70s prog thread, which is a treasure trove of amazing music - NFU really knows what he is talking about.

A few key bands: Yes (try Relayer or Close To The Edge), King Crimson (try In The Court Of The Crimson King or Red), Genesis (try Foxtrot or Nursery Cryme), Camel (try Moonmadness or Mirage), Jethro Tull (try Thick As A Brick or Aqualung) and Pink Floyd (try Animals or Meddle). Of course there are MANY more than just these, but these should be a good intro to the world of prog.

Definitely give Symphony X a try...

As for 70's prog check out all mentioned above.

Also bands you may want to try are:
-Riverside
-Pain of Salvation
-Planet X
-Derek Sherinian (get Mythology or Black Utopia)

Well, i guess its my turn to post. First of all, id highly recommend the 70s prog thread still on this forum started long ago, which has tons of information from myself, abhorsen, some retired members and even mikael. But if youd rather not browse through it (its hundreds of pages i beleive now), then i dont blame you, and ill do the best i can to summarize a lot of this fantastic and often dismissed or overlooked genre right now. If "prog metal" is what youre after, then id suggest looking elsewhere for i care not for that naive genre and feel theres only a few bands which actually fit that tag (opeth, enslaved, arcturus, and a few others). If you want the real deal, then please continue.

Pysch: The sound which would later become the progressive sound, started in drug induced, adventerous use of sound, effects and a cerebral sophistication developing a whole new era in rock music. Oganic AND electric, it spawned a whole new way of thinking and expression. EXAMPLES: Pink Floyd, Aerevons, Gandalf, Soft Machine, etc.

Proto Prog: The starting bands who helped create and develop this genre. Not full blown progressive rock in the stereotypical sense, but all contributed to the sound which would take shape later on. EXAMPLES: The beatles, the moody blues, procol harum, the nice, etc.

Symphonic Prog: This is the sound most people equate to the term "prog". Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, ELP, etc. Coming from britain, these were the most influential and respectively most talented acts (usually pretentious and stubborn too). Displaying long, complex song structures in most cases, and no boundaries for experimentation and storytelling. MORE EXAMPLES: Jethro Tull, Gracious, Camel, etc.

Italian Symphonic: Following soon after the british burst of talent, was the italians. Inspired a lot by Genesis, King Crimson and the like, they brought a different cultures take on that sound, incorporating classical elements, a more wide variety of instrumentation, and in many cases...vocals in their native tongue. Some would dispute these bands are better than the british counterparts. EXAMPLES: PFM, Celeste, Banco, Le Orme, Goblin, etc.

Canterbury Sound: Although a small grouping, this genre is essential to me, for its maybe my personal favorite of all the subgenres. Located in the small portion of england, it was an offshoot of proto and psych, which turned into a very jazz influenced form of non grandiose and commercial prog like Yes or Genesis. EXAMPLES: Caravan, Hatfield And the North, National Health, Gilgamesh, etc.

Folk Progressive: A genre which was half folk inspired, using many acoustic instruments and patterns, while maintaining the progressive forward thinking advantages of the other genre...creating a very organic and interesting alternative to the bombastic symphonic alternatives. EXAMPLES: Mellow Candle, Tudor Lodge, Trees, Extradition, etc.

Kraut Rock: German scene, consisting of a lot of experimentation, and often un-uniform song structures and aproach to achieve as weird and interesting songs and expression as possible. Some bands would stay more stream line and infuse the symphonic genre with this as well, to keep a more song oriented and commercial sound. EXAMPLES: Grobschnitt, NEU, Agitation Free, Birth Control, etc.

Modern Vintage Progressive: Bands which are modern and current, but are set out to make similar music to the classic bands. Not as "progressive" as maybe they should be to achieve the title, but many do that sound VERY well and are still fantastic listens. EXAMPLES: Anglagard, Anekdoten, Porcupine Tree (early), Areknames, Liquid Scarlet, Circulus.

Neo Prog: Innovative, creative and talented bands staying quite true to the term "progressive" in that theyre making new music using familiar elements, but in a way not done before. EXAMPLES: Radiohead, Opeth, Paatos, The Mars Volta, Porcupine Tree (again).

alright folks, there is a brief rundown so you know what to explore. ill continue to post more recommendations here if this thread stays alive, or in the already existing prog thread if people frequent that one more now. happy hunting, hope this helped.

it occured to me after typing all that, that it may have been a bit too much to handle all at once. so heres a short list of essentials to get the newcomer started...

Yes - Close To The Edge
Genesis - Selling England By The Pound
King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King
Camel - Mirage
Rush - Hemispheres
Caravan - In The Land Of Grey And Pink
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
PFM - Photos Of Ghosts
Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick

KJones said:
I'm surprised by this as well...

But I'm even more surprised that someone can have a prog metal thread and not discuss Winds. A band where Opeth's members are but master's apprentices as far as individual skill and musicianship goes. By that I mean that Opeth is not musically trained, but Winds is, and they excel on their instruments unlike any other band in metal.

Winds is one of the bands that Hellhammer from Mayhem/Arcturus/Dimmu etc is in, right? I haven't been able to find their stuff, sadly. At least not for download.

NicholasDWolfwood said:
Winds is one of the bands that Hellhammer from Mayhem/Arcturus/Dimmu etc is in, right? I haven't been able to find their stuff, sadly. At least not for download.

hellhammer hasnt ever been a part of dimmu as far as i know...but i dont pay attention to that band, so its possible that got past me. but yes, he is in winds and arcturus. IM not a huge winds fan...i find them to be fairly drab and forced. Arcturus however is an extremely interesting band within the metal genre, and should be kept watch of...theyre always doing something new.

"In 2005, the band (Dimmu Borgir) did a complete re-recording of the Stormblåst album, featuring Hellhammer (of Mayhem fame) as the session drummer".

He has been in every band ever, even if they don't know it yet...

for more the older, more proggy stuff, check out rush, yes, and camel.

for the newer, more prog metal stuff, check out circus maximus, symphony x and ayreon.