Are there any prog metal bands that don't have crappy pwer metal vocals?

Yeah, Pain of Salvation are fucking amazing and Daniel Gildenlow is a God! Also try out Porcupine Tree (though they're not really metal), Nightingale (not really prog metal, but Dan Swano fucking rules!), and maybe try some early 90's jazz/prog/death bands like Cynic, Atheist, and Pestilence.

Kushantaiidan, thank you! This is the question I've been wondering about for a very long time!

I really like Evergrey. To me, his voice doesn't sound power metal-ish at all -- but my boyfriend thinks so, so give it a try and see what you think. Try the most recent album, In Search of Truth.

I like the singing on Disc 1 of the newest Dream Theater...but, except for the first song, the music does nothing for me.

I listened to some Pain of Salvation last night, and he has a very wide range. The lower stuff I liked a lot -- but then he has to go fuck it up with those high-pitched ones, dammit.

Analog_Kid was nice enough to send me a bunch of stuff, so I'm in the process of wading through that. I'll let you know if I come across something you might like.

What about Green Carnation... Their new album sounds godly! The vocalist is clean but not annoying. Dose anyone else have anything to share about GC, I'm fairly new to them.

MAN!!

I shoulda known not to start this thread.

NOW I HAVE 50 or so bands fucking investigate. This always happens.

Anyway, I'm glad most people understood exactly what I meant, and didn't take it the wrong way.

Anyway,

Yes, I love Green Carnation, And I'm currently discovering Nevermore (I quite like the vocalist, probably one of the few power metal vocalists i like, because he actually has power).

I don't like evergrey, they seem very talented and it looks like their conceptual albums are works of art, but his vocals, though not power just seem to bug me.

Looks like Pain Of Salvation was the most mentioned, so I'll start on them first.

I'm slightly curious about the new dreamtheater, i dunno, i just can't stand them.

But I still have an open mind.

Another one, In The Woods, these guys are great too. And Maudlin Of The Well of course.

Anyway, time to start making a list!

Anyway, how many more times can I say Anyway in this post anyway?

Anyway, I'll be seeing you guys later anyway!

Anyway, BYE!!!

Originally posted by Kushantaiidan
I know this is gonna piss a few people off, and start some flames, but:

The Music of bands like Dream Theater, Symphony X, Adagio, Spiral Architect and others are ruined by high pitched power vocals which just cause pain in the ears for me.

Why is this???

I know there are prog bands like Opeth and such. But when I try to find some great prog music, I can never get past those damn atrocious vocals.

anyway, discuss.

edge of sanity

Originally posted by Trapped

Let me guess... you have never heard Politics of Ecstasy??

Man. That is prog... definately.

Sorry then...It's their only album I haven't heard yet, and Dead Heart and Dreaming Black didn't sound so progressive to me...

Originally posted by Kushantaiidan

I'm slightly curious about the new dreamtheater, i dunno, i just can't stand them.

muahahah, I'm not gonna let you forget so easily that moment where i tricked you into saying you liked them heheh.. YES THAT IS RIGHT! KUSHAN SAID HE THOUGHT IT SOUNDED COOL!!

let's recap... I think I played him "The Test That Stumped them All" and told him after about 3 minutes it was the new Andromeda... well he got all excited then i let him down and told him it wasn't... then for about another minute i played that song for him and he liked it!! AND WAS LIKE "what is this damn band?!?1 tell me!!" muahahah... shoked to find out it was Dream Theater, eh Kush? If you had heard that song with knowing it was Dream Theater BEFORE i played it would you still have liked it? Sometimes you can't trust your own opinions because they are biased hehe.

Originally posted by Bumblefoot

muahahah, I'm not gonna let you forget so easily that moment where i tricked you into saying you liked them heheh.. YES THAT IS RIGHT! KUSHAN SAID HE THOUGHT IT SOUNDED COOL!!

let's recap... I think I played him "The Test That Stumped them All" and told him after about 3 minutes it was the new Andromeda... well he got all excited then i let him down and told him it wasn't... then for about another minute i played that song for him and he liked it!! AND WAS LIKE "what is this damn band?!?1 tell me!!" muahahah... shoked to find out it was Dream Theater, eh Kush? If you had heard that song with knowing it was Dream Theater BEFORE i played it would you still have liked it? Sometimes you can't trust your own opinions because they are biased hehe.

Look flybox, I'm gonna beat your ass into a pulp with a larg pineapple, then perferate you with multiple large iron pegs and nails, then I sodomize the wounds with a rusty pipe. And your momma looks like a planet.

Anyway, i ussually have an open mind with music, and as long as lebrie or whatever keeps his mouth shut and doesn't sing "TAKE AWAY MY PAIN" in a ridiculously high voice repeditively, i'm willing to listen.

I'm going to uni tonight, so hopefully, I'll download a few hundred songs to sample...

Evergrey are great. I've only got the album before the latest and although I don't listen to it much anymore I still think they're cool.

The singing is pretty good too. That guy is so emotional....