What do you think?

• Octavarium is t3h Pwn493

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • An album too far!!!

Votes: 33 50.8%
  • I never liked DT

Votes: 15 23.1%

• Total voters
About my favourite band. Just stunning musicians and, at their best pretty much slay every other band on the planet.

Octavarium, though? Well, I really enjoy when I stick it on (the latter part of the album more then the first few tracks really) and I'll take it over TOT any day (DT being "heavy" - pleeeease.... :puke: ) but they sound like they're going thru the motions now to be honest. They need to take a break and pull some music from WITHIN. Oh, and involve John Myung again in the writing.

Six degrees has some of the worst lyrics I have ever read in my entire life.

This coming from the proud owner of a Savage Garden cd...

shark22 said:
If your gonna knock Dream Theater, then Ghost Reveries doesn't come far behind.

No...
Ghost Reveries is different from anything any other bands have done (well...almost)
But you can almost hear the stolen Metallica riffs and Korn breakdowns in Octavarium, its just not different

Yeah i agree, they need to take a sabbatical, sit and think about where they SHOULD be going and let Petrucci play some decent guitar (i don't mean fast solos...just something a bit more interesting)

And yes Myung should write more songs, Learning To Live Owns!

I just think they're out of their prime now, its been downhill for quite a while

colin007 said:
love the DT!!! and whats even better is that my wife likes them too.
So does my wife... But she also likes Edge of Sanity, Nightingale, Opeth, Katatonia, My Dying Bride, Lacuna Coil, The Gathering, Theater of Tragedy, Tristania, 3rd And The Mortal, etc, etc... Lucky me. :D

Stilgar said:
So does my wife... But she also likes Edge of Sanity, Nightingale, Opeth, Katatonia, My Dying Bride, Lacuna Coil, The Gathering, Theater of Tragedy, Tristania, 3rd And The Mortal, etc, etc... Lucky me. :D

I'm jealous!
My girlfriend mostly likes classical music as she plays in an orchestra but she mostly like SOAD and Wierd Al if shes not going classical

Most of my music is described as "Thats nice dear *grimaces*" :Smug:

I&W, Awake, SFAM, ACOS, and some parts of 6 Degrees, I think they did very well.

Train of Thought, Octavarium.... sorry guys but it's getting old now, and the solos are wanktastically boring.

April Etheral said:
I'm jealous!
My girlfriend mostly likes classical music as she plays in an orchestra but she mostly like SOAD and Wierd Al if shes not going classical

I think classical is cool, and some orchestra instruments are hot... VIOLIN.. I'd love it if my girl was in an orchestra, I think that's sexier than her liking metal. :tickled:

Or the TROMBONE.....:erk:

DT is pretty good./.....I really enjoy them...as for teh latest album...wel lhavent heard it...cannot comment on it....though I lvoe thier mellower side...really nice melodies...also James has one of teh finest voices in MEtal.....also check out Human equaiton by Areon....he plays the main character on that album....really some good stuff ther......Keep rockin..!!!>......PEAC EOUT

I think Octovoarium is the greatest album ever because the mention Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds and Careful with that axe Eugene o_O

To be honest, some of the older stuff was not very original. I recall hearing songs on "Scenes from a Memory" and thinking that Ayreon was on... I think DT have finally found their own sound with ToT and Octavarium... you may disagree, but it's all just opinions I guess. -_-

Honestly though I'm gonna make a CD called Tempest of Time so I can have my CD called ToT too..... cause ToT is such a badass acronym.

I agree that Train of Thought is one of their best albums, if not their #1 studio effort. and I do enjoy Octavarium... but it is undeniable that the new album is a step down for DT...

Zivilyn said:
I think classical is cool, and some orchestra instruments are hot... VIOLIN.. I'd love it if my girl was in an orchestra, I think that's sexier than her liking metal. :tickled:

Or the TROMBONE.....:erk:

She plays french horn...one of the unsexy instruments :p
But it does make her good at blowing ;) :loco:

I agree, the violin is a sexy instrument - i love the sound of it when its played well ^^

I remember hearing "Panic Attack" at Gigantour, can't say I liked it at all. But I liked most of Train of Thought a lot, though it's true it doesn't compare to Awake. Whatever....

I think Octavarium was fine. Every song was unique, and even if half the album just wasn't proggy at all, the album itself progressed very well. I'm not considering it one of their best, or even amongst the top half of their albums, but it's not as terrible as some people say it is.

CAIRATH said:
I've never liked DT. I used to have a bunch of their albums sitting on my HD but none of them ever caught my interest and I just couldn't escape the feeling that most of their stuff sounds either lifeless, cheesy or both. Their singer is also terrible.

Nay man. James Labrie is awesome! He has a great voice. I guess you just gotta get use to it or something. He has a solo album out....Elements of Persuasion. It's alright, not bad at all.

I dunno, many people dislike Labrie's vocals.

Meh, Octavarium is total crud compared to DT's older stuff. Train of Thought rawks. Octavarium, the tracks feel lacking. That last track is crap. The only decent track on the whole album is probably Panic Attack.

Oinkness said:
To be honest, some of the older stuff was not very original. I recall hearing songs on "Scenes from a Memory" and thinking that Ayreon was on... I think DT have finally found their own sound with ToT and Octavarium... you may disagree, but it's all just opinions I guess. -_-

now that's the strangest and most unlikely opinion i think i've ever heard on DT. you must not have a discriminating ear for that kind of thing. :)