Dream Theater are at it again!

Will Bozarth

Everlasting Godstopper
Jan 26, 2002
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
DREAM THEATER Perform Tribute To IRON MAIDEN At London Gig - Oct. 22, 2002

DREAM THEATER performed the entire "The Number Of The Beast" album by IRON MAIDEN during the second of a two-night stint at the London Astoria last night (Oct. 21).

The legendary progressive rock heavyweights played the material exactly as per the original album, with the exception of "Gangland", which was done in a jazz style. DT, who feature a sole guitarist in the shape of the very-capable John Petrucci, reproduced the second-guitar parts by having keyboardist Jordan Rudess perform them on the keyboard, including the solos.

Following an intermission in the regular set, DREAM THEATER drummer Mike Portnoy came on stage wearing a MAIDEN shirt, after which the classic "The Number Of The Beast" spoken intro kicked in. "The Number of The Beast" album cover was projected behind the group, but with DREAM THEATER in the style of the IRON MAIDEN logo.

Back in February, DREAM THEATER performed the entire METALLICA "Master Of Puppets" CD at a show in Barcelona, Spain while donning METALLICA T-shirts and sporting an improvised DREAM THEATER-logo'd "Master of Puppets" backdrop. Billed on DREAM THEATER's official web site as a "VERY SPECIAL SHOW", the gig featured no opening act and was the second of DREAM THEATER's two-night stint at the venue.

Interesting, I think. I definetly admire their skill. I'd be a huge fan if they were just a little heavier (at least vocal wise- though LeBrie is talented also). They have several songs I like alot, like "pull me under".

I still like Maiden (ah, the old days).

But I'm afraid I'm not very big on Metallica anymore (not since "and justice for all"). I was a fan of the heavy metallica. I think Lars' ego and sue-happy attitude didn't help any either. Would be interesting to see DT perform their stuff though.

La Brie is an ugly, fat man who has no charisma at all hehe

LaBrie is losing some of his vocal range...he is moving from a strength to the weak link in the DT team.

that's why I don't sing on my own albums; my guitar playing is worship-worthy enough, if I were to sing, mere humans would not be able to accept that so much talent could be within one person.

Hehe, perhaps. But he sings alot better me. But that's not saying much.

I have a question (two actually).

How did they sound? LaBrie and Hetfield have radically different voices.

Why would they cover someone elses whole album? It's not like they lack enough of their own material.

apparently when they play the same place two or three nights in a row, they want to give the fans not just the same sets every night, because some fans will go to more than one show. so apparently they did a first set of their own material and then after a break, came back and did the Maiden thing.

It's all a smart move because just like the Grateful Dead, your best fans will go to every show they can get to, because every night is different. thus the fans enjoy themselves and the band sells more tickets; it is a circular thing that benefits both the musicians and the watchers.

whoops, edit: as far as Labrie singing like Hetfield, I'll bet he can do Hetfield better than Hetfield can do Labrie. One of my newest CDs is Govt. Mule's The Deep End vol. two, and it has a bonus cd with Hetfield singing with Warren Haynes on a song called "Drivin' Rain"...I was really surprised, the guy can do more than just growl and howl.:lol:

I've got the boot of that Barcelona show. It was kick ass! They played Metallica better than I've EVER heard Metallica do it. :) Well, music-wise anyways. Vocally, it was a bit odd. I hope to get the boot of this Maiden set too! Labrie & Dickinson are at least a LITTLE more similar...

Nevermore...

Makes sense now why theyd play covers.

I imagine Hetfield would have a harder time sounding DT.

I would like to see Labrie do a Bruce Dickenson (it would be a big change for Myung however, since Harris has that serious galloping bass style. i don't think I've ever heard anyone else with a style too similar to it)

Originally posted by dead6skin6mask6

with the exception of "Gangland", which was done in a jazz style.

what a shit is this?

maiden in jazz!

:puke:

i hate dream theater a lot!

don't tell me that i cannot tell this!

and la brie cannot singing master of puppets !

i think he is a singing puppet!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:puke:

PortnoyCover.gif