Dream Theater- BLACK CLOUDS & SILVER LININGS Coming June 23rd

Sorry to resurrect this thread. I know there's an undying hatred for Dream Theater here, but since Black Clouds & Silver Linings wasn't very well received here, I thought I'd post my edit of A Nightmare To Remember. I tried eliminating all the fodder, and in doing so, I cut half the damn song out! Hope you enjoy :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to resurrect this thread. I know there's an undying hatred for Dream Theater here, but since Black Clouds & Silver Linings wasn't very well received here, I thought I'd post my edit of A Nightmare To Remember. I tried eliminating all the fodder, and in doing so, I cut half the damn song out! Hope you enjoy :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAgvyRMKq0A

I like it! You took a song that was obnoxiously long and made it listenable, and in a way that didn't make it sound like a radio edit.

That's not to say that I have a problem with long songs, but I like it when they take me on a journey, as opposed to making it seem like a chore to listen to it.

Dream Theater has been stuck in the "let's write a long song just to write a long song" mode for their last three or four albums (barring a few choice tracks), and in doing so the songs sound forced. A perfect example is "The Ministry of Lost Souls" from Systematic Chaos. This song would have been awesome had they not included the middle wanktastic section that completely ruined the vibe of the song.

Another problem with DT's sound as of late is that most of the melody seems to come only during the vocal sections, and generally only from the vocals (although since it's LaBrie, the timbre is terrible). When there's no vocals, it's either some downtuned rhythm riff or a solo that goes on for way too long. In the 90s, DT had some great melodies played by the guitar and keys.

wanktastic

Another problem with DT's sound as of late is that most of the melody seems to come only during the vocal sections, and generally only from the vocals (although since it's LaBrie, the timbre is terrible). When there's no vocals, it's either some downtuned rhythm riff or a solo that goes on for way too long. In the 90s, DT had some great melodies played by the guitar and keys.

Very apt description. And I'm ROFL about wanktastic.:D

I like it! You took a song that was obnoxiously long and made it listenable, and in a way that didn't make it sound like a radio edit.

That's not to say that I have a problem with long songs, but I like it when they take me on a journey, as opposed to making it seem like a chore to listen to it.

Dream Theater has been stuck in the "let's write a long song just to write a long song" mode for their last three or four albums (barring a few choice tracks), and in doing so the songs sound forced. A perfect example is "The Ministry of Lost Souls" from Systematic Chaos. This song would have been awesome had they not included the middle wanktastic section that completely ruined the vibe of the song.

Thanks! I'm not a fan of The Ministry of Lost Souls, but I do like the wanktastic section lol. I just like shreddy stuff though. Most of the time, the sections everyone complains about, I absolutely love. Twas an exception for Nightmare though. I didn't really care for the solo section, and it just got worse when Portnoy came in, but I don't think anything could save that section.

Here's an actual "radio edit" I did of Constant Motion:

Last edited by a moderator: