Spruce Goose

Then Goose me up woman!
Apr 17, 2001
Sydney
scholar.uws.edu.au~13326874
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

March 13, 2009

New York, NY:

Progressive metal veterans DREAM THEATER have announced BLACK CLOUDS & SILVER LININGS</I></B>as the title of their tenth studio album. The band commenced work on the album – their second for Roadrunner Records</B>, following up 2007's Systematic Chaos</B>— in October of last year.

Roadrunner will release the record on June 23</B>. In addition to the standard version CD</B>, the album will also be available on vinyl LP</B>, as well as a 3-disc Special Edition CD</B> that will include the full album, a CD of instrumental mixes of the album and a CD of six cover songs, the titles of which will be revealed at a later date.

Six weeks prior to the June 23 street date, Roadrunner will release one cover song per week through digital retailers.

Drummer Mike Portnoy and guitarist John Petrucci are once again at the helm as producers, while Paul Northfield </B>mixed the record.

The band will embark on a world tour in support of the album beginning in Europe throughout June which will be followed by the second edition of the band’s PROGRESSIVE NATION</B> tour featuring Zappa Plays Zappa, Pain Of Salvation </I></B>and Beardfish</I></B> throughout North America in July/August.

A video for the first single, "A Rite of Passage"</B> will be shot in late March.

The track listing for BLACK CLOUDS & SILVER LININGS</B>is as follows:

1. A Nightmare to Remember
2. A Rite of Passage
3. Wither
4. The Shattered Fortress
5. The Best of Times
6. The Count of Tuscany

blackcloudssilverlinings.jpg

How lame. This is the exact same thing that happened in '05...they released Octavarium the week before I saw them play at Graspop, and hence I was unable to get into any of the new material before the gig. Oh well, I am sure they will still rock it.

Interesting that the album art looks like a cross between the art from Awake and Train of Thought, my two favourite DT albums. Hmm.

How lame. This is the exact same thing that happened in '05...they released Octavarium the week before I saw them play at Graspop, and hence I was unable to get into any of the new material before the gig. Oh well, I am sure they will still rock it.

My thoughts are the opposite. The idea of experiencing their new album for the first time live as opposed to a leaked pre-release download is something to fire up for.

Perhaps. Not that I ever pre-release download anything. But with a band like DT, you kinda need to get your head around the music with a few listens before you even know whats going on with it, so seeing it live for the first time will kinda go over my head, if you know what I mean.

I agree with Jordan here. Having seen Dream Theater twice, they are definitely a band that is more enjoyable the more familiar one is with their songs. The first time I saw them there were several new and older songs that went by as somewhat of a blur; whereas the second time in Melbourne there were only a couple of songs that I hadn't already heard.

I had a similar experience with Nevermore playing songs from This Godless Endeavour before it was released.

When a band tours for a new album, a showcase for that album is expected. I want to hear songs that have gotten me excited and make me keep replaying them. And in the case of Dream Theater, who wants to be left scratching their heads for half the set, thinking 'Gee, this sounds cool, but no idea what it's about'?

Especially when the opportunities for seeing them are so few.

I just got this.
JB HIFI are selling it early for some reason... It doesnt come out til 23rd in the US but JB had it in their magazine as released on the 19th....

Anyway, got the 3 disc version (album, covers, instrumental album) for $29... awesome.
Will listen tonight

havent really had the chance to sit down and listen properly yet...
I have heard all the songs atleast once each and first impressions are that it is a strong album.
Will have to listen more than once to pick up everything obviously....
The early reviews seem to be correct in that it it is one of their best albums of the 2000's

How good is Petrucci's solo in The Best of Times?
One of the most emotional solo's I have heard for a long long time....

Fuck yeah :headbang:
I have been waiting for that sort of solo from him since Goodnight Kiss off of 6 Degrees of Inner Turbulence.....
Ministry of Lost Souls came close but the disjointed instrumental section almost took it all away....
The Best of times is 100% win in every category....

Also, The Count of Tuscany.... WOW!

I wasn't really excited about this release before, unlike for there last two albums (of which I think I prefer Octavarium). But all these good comments have got me interested.