DREAM THEATER - New track to stream June 29 at 11:00 AM EST

Yup, definitely Dream Theater here. I like this track and certainly think it is some of their better output in recent years. I admit that I actually quite liked the last album, though. If the rest of the songs are as good as this one is, then this will be a definite buy.

As about the mix, I will do have to agree somewhat that the drums could be brought out more and perhaps subdue the keyboards just a touch. Granted, I am listening it through little Cambridge Soundworks speakers, as compressed audio, attached to this computer. Not exactly an ideal setup for critical listening. I will be curious to hear how this sounds on the full sized rig when the CD comes out. I guess I could get out my nice headphones and listen to this again, but even still.

The one thing I wish they would improve is their lyrics...some of which are just so cliche they make me cringe...

That's been true the entire history of the band. Cornball lyrics is one of the trademarks of the band. I wouldn't expect it to change.

As for the song, it is a solid tune. It doesn't blow me away, but it doesn't stop me from buying the album.

I am not a hater but this just didn't have the "WOW" factor for me. I used to be a huge fan but they have just lost me. The rest of the disc will have to be a lot better than this for me to purchase.

This^^^^^ This track does NOTHING for me......Too much keyboard wankery, IMO. I will definitely have to hear more before I rip on it, or praise it.....

:lol: :lol:

Go put Freedom Call on, Powerboy.

At least freedom call's singer doesn't put people asleep.

Music is alright, a bit like them jerking off because they can, but hey, that's dream theater.

Labrie did absolutely nothing for my ears, once again.

I liked the new tune, the mix was much better than how they typically sound. I think the keys and bass are finally evident and the drums may be a bit further back in the mix than where Portnoy usually was.

I hear the usual DT riffage and arrangements that give them their overall sound and in particular, at the 2:45 mark, JLB sings a couple of lines that melodically sound VERY similar if not outright identical to prior vocals he's done. Anyone agree and if so, do you know which tune it may be? It sound so familiar to me that I want to verify my thinking with others.

I liked the new tune, the mix was much better than how they typically sound. I think the keys and bass are finally evident and the drums may be a bit further back in the mix than where Portnoy usually was.

I hear the usual DT riffage and arrangements that give them their overall sound and in particular, at the 2:45 mark, JLB sings a couple of lines that melodically sound VERY similar if not outright identical to prior vocals he's done. Anyone agree and if so, do you know which tune it may be? It sound so familiar to me that I want to verify my thinking with others.

It reminded me of SFAM. But I've not had the time to really listen to pin point the exact song, etc. Or 6DIT? Either way, I agree..it's a familiar melody.

I know there is a lot of talk about drums in the mix, but has anyone considered this is the way they have ALWAYS wanted the drums to be mixed in their music but haven't been able to because of Portnoy's control? just a topic to think about and toss out there. their leader and overlord was their drummer. he was never obnoxiously high in the mix, but.....

also, that snare is sound-replaced. for me the mix sounds pretty straight through the entire song, plus why would they lower it during a solo?! it's the days of digital, they pick a drum mix and roll with it straight across the board.

I ranted about this on my show last week, and without getting too much into it here is my quick opinion.

You bring in a beast of a drummer that is no rookie, and can hold his own...you think you would want to show the World..."look at our new drummer he is a beast!"....

Instead you bring him in, don't allow him to create his own drum parts/let loose (Petrucci admitted to pre programming drum parts for him), and then you turn him down in the mix???

lol dude are you kidding? Everything is pre-programmed. The last two Metallica albums, that cost MILLIONS of dollars to make have drum samples/fake drums. Drum production today is bs!

It reminded me of SFAM. But I've not had the time to really listen to pin point the exact song, etc. Or 6DIT? Either way, I agree..it's a familiar melody.

i believe its from A Change of Seasons...cant remember exactly what part it was on. I think the "Utopia...high in the sky" part.

lol dude are you kidding? Everything is pre-programmed. The last two Metallica albums, that cost MILLIONS of dollars to make have drum samples/fake drums. Drum production today is bs!

That's more likely because Lars can't actually learn to play the parts in the allotted studio time.

I know there is a lot of talk about drums in the mix, but has anyone considered this is the way they have ALWAYS wanted the drums to be mixed in their music but haven't been able to because of Portnoy's control? just a topic to think about and toss out there. their leader and overlord was their drummer. he was never obnoxiously high in the mix, but.....

That's what I was thinking.

Drum production today is bs!

Nah dude, drum production has been bullshit for over 30 years, ever since sample replacement was invented. Just listen to AC/DC's Back in Black, my god those consistent sounding drums. What is this shit? :rolleyes:
And no, the last 2 Metallica albums were probably not sample replaced or else they would've sounded a lot better. At the very least the last album could have been sample replaced with samples from the same kit they used to track the whole thing.

Back to Dream Theater though, the song is pretty good. No really awful parts in this song, so I hope the rest of the album stays like that. Agreed about the really unbalanced mix, but I'll reserve my judgement for that till the album comes out.

And no, the last 2 Metallica albums were probably not sample replaced or else they would've sounded a lot better. At the very least the last album could have been sample replaced with samples from the same kit they used to track the whole thing.

Nope, those are samples on both albums, I know for a fact. Completely quantized and sound replaced after the live takes.

Also I am not sure what you're talking about in the first paragraph, but it seems you're constantly whining/and/or crying about my opinion of drum sounds and modern production etc. First of all, please cry more, please! Second of all, the use of sound replacing even 15 years ago is way different from how it is used now due to pro tools and the like. The whole act of editing, quantizing, sound replacing the whole kit afterwords except for maybe the symbols is shitty to me. Sometimes it works, most times it sounds horribly fake.