Dream Theater Tour Dates Announced

MARILLION are touring the US this summer already. I am driving to the PHILLY show (from NC) for it. Already have my ticket! I have never seen Marillion live and i have been a fan since '85. so this is going to be a treat!! Once again, F*** Dream Theater for NEVER EVER booking shows in NC.

Saw them with Fish in '88 at Wembley; saw them with Hogarth in the early 90's. This is a band I am so glad continues to make music, and continues to tour.

I really like both incarnations of this group - they are SO much different than the Jester's Tear period - but Hogarth is a really talented musician/writer, so I enjoy the product of the last 20 years as well.

I hope you have a blast at the show.

Saw them with Fish in '88 at Wembley; saw them with Hogarth in the early 90's. This is a band I am so glad continues to make music, and continues to tour.

I really like both incarnations of this group - they are SO much different than the Jester's Tear period - but Hogarth is a really talented musician/writer, so I enjoy the product of the last 20 years as well.

I hope you have a blast at the show.

I completely agree. it's always interesting debating the "Well, if there is no Fish it's not Marillion" club and i have to remind them that the "new guy" has been with them since 1988!!!! He has recorded more albums than Fish, so in my mind Hogarth is the real singer of Marillion. Fish was an early formation of the band at this point. I however do love both versions, but they are like Van Halen and Van Hagar pretty much.

Yeah i lost my shit when they announced US dates. For one reason or another i kept missing them in the US since i was in high school. Closest i came was them opening for Rush back in the 80's, but they were dropped from the tour before Philly date. :( That was with Fish too, total bummer.

i know i am going to have a blast, there is no way they can let me down at this point.

FYI,
The dates in the first post do not match what's on www.dreamtheater.net.
Fri 6/15 Rochester, NY Main Street Armory
Sat 6/16 Montebello, QC D-TOX Rockfest
Sun 6/17 Lewiston, NY Artpark
Tues 6/19 Columbus, OH The LC Pavilion
Thu 6/21 Cleveland, OH Jacobs Pavilion at Nautica
Fri 6/22 Detroit, MI The Fillmore
Sat 6/23 Chicago, IL Chicago Theatre
Mon 6/25 Cincinnati, OH Taft Theater
Tues 6/27 Minneapolis, MN State Theater
Thu 6/28 Kansas City, MO Starlight Theater
Sun 7/1 San Francisco, CA Warfield Theatre
Mon 7/2 Los Angeles, CA Gibson Amphitheater
Tues 7/3 Anaheim, CA The Grove of Anaheim
Thu 7/5 El Paso, TX Abraham Chavez Theatre
Fri 7/6 San Antonio, TX Majestic Theater
Sat 7/7 Austin, TX ACL Live
Mon 7/9 Grand Prairie, TX Verizon Theatre
Thu 7/12 Richmond, VA The National
Fri 7/13 Washington, DC Warner Theatre
Sat 7/14 Holmdel, NJ PNC Bank Arts Center
Tues 7/16 Boston, MA Bank of America Pavilion
Wed 7/18 Huntington, NY Paramount Theater
Thu 7/19 Huntington, NY Paramount Theater
Sat 7/21 Chester, PA Harrah’s Chester Downs

Doesn't make it right, does it? Maybe you can be content with your favorite bands skipping this area and not saying anything but i don't. i have been pissed at Maiden for years, but now they are coming to Charlotte this summer. so they are crossed off the list. haha.

I never said I was content with it, but I'm not going to go talking shit about them because of it. None of these bands skip over the southeast out of spite, it's because the turnout is quite often shit. Volume 11 in Raleigh was getting all kinds of good shows for a while. Orphaned Land, Melechesh, Symphony X, Grave, Rotting Christ, Swallow The Sun, etc. All kinds of kick ass bands from overseas that usually don't come around these parts. But no one came to the shows. It was a ghost town in that place. Same way with a lot of other venues. I went to a lot of shows at Jaxx in Springfield VA last year. There were maybe 30 to 40 people at the Firewind/Nightrage/White Wizzard/Arsis show. If there's no support, bands will skip the area. No reason to get pissed at them for it! I love Dream Theater and Iron Maiden regardless of whether or not they tour in my area.

Volume 11 in Raleigh was getting all kinds of good shows for a while. Orphaned Land, Melechesh, Symphony X, Grave, Rotting Christ, Swallow The Sun, etc.

Oh jeez, I wonder why... Common trend there anyone?

AlexanderWhitebeard said:
There were maybe 30 to 40 people at the Firewind/Nightrage/White Wizzard/Arsis show.

Yeah. Talk about metal fans being the "best in the world" huh?

There were 24 people in Phoenix for the Redemption show, and there were about 40 people here for Primal Fear. These are just 2 terrible turnout shows I remember, except for Cage, which had 20. Now, all the bands are skipping Phoenix. There's a trend there.

As for you, AeonicSlumber, the last Crimson tour happened four years ago. Though it still hasn't been ages since then, it didn't exactly happen just yesterday. You know, the more I think about it, the less the internet is a place for me. I don't post on this forum nearly as much as I used to, and a lot of that has to do with immature posters who hide behind screen names and use such intelligent terms as "buttmad" to get their points across. Almost everybody on this forum knows who I am. However, you like to keep your anonymity. I wonder why?

You're right, it was 4 years ago and not 2. I remember skipping those reunion shows because it was too close in proximity to Carcass' reunion show and money was tight. I'm not particularly bummed about missing them, but I'm not stoked for this "cover" band either.

My point is that you and a few other posters seem to confuse constructive criticism with hating, which nobody has done here. The irony is that if anyone's "whining" it's you guys who are calling out people who simply aren't interested in this opening act as if they are committing some sort of sin. There are better ways to state your case and make your point than a belittling rant about "how young we are and just don't get it, oh but no offense though!" And by the way, for someone who likes to criticize others on "doing research" you should know that the criticism isn't that it's King Crimson, it's that a bunch of dudes who aren't Fripp going on tour playing covers as an opening act isn't all that exciting to us. At least for me, Zappa Plays Zappa is/was exciting because A) there are more than enough reports of the band proving itself to the cynics as an incredible show, and B) I think it's beautiful that Dweezil was passionate about his father's tunes that he wanted to play them. It has a bit more "meaning" than a cover band.

But getting mad in the colon about our own opinions and typing long-winded rants about why we should go look King Crimson up (what?) is ridiculous and far more immature than anything else said here.

There were 24 people in Phoenix for the Redemption show, and there were about 40 people here for Primal Fear. These are just 2 terrible turnout shows I remember, except for Cage, which had 20. Now, all the bands are skipping Phoenix. There's a trend there.

Didn't Cage have like single digits? I just remember you, me and your friend along with like 2 or 3 other people standing in a wide open floor banging our heads lol.

I never said I was content with it, but I'm not going to go talking shit about them because of it. None of these bands skip over the southeast out of spite, it's because the turnout is quite often shit. Volume 11 in Raleigh was getting all kinds of good shows for a while. Orphaned Land, Melechesh, Symphony X, Grave, Rotting Christ, Swallow The Sun, etc. All kinds of kick ass bands from overseas that usually don't come around these parts. But no one came to the shows. It was a ghost town in that place. Same way with a lot of other venues. I went to a lot of shows at Jaxx in Springfield VA last year. There were maybe 30 to 40 people at the Firewind/Nightrage/White Wizzard/Arsis show. If there's no support, bands will skip the area. No reason to get pissed at them for it! I love Dream Theater and Iron Maiden regardless of whether or not they tour in my area.

The problem with Volume 11 was over saturation of the market. Metal heads only have so much disposable income so the well will run dry from time to time. also when Raleigh insists on having shows end at 2am it makes it harder for commuters to come to shows, i know i don't anymore. Bands need to spread it out across the state each time they come. I mean there is no perfect science to it, but when a club has a show every weekend for 2 months straight some of the tours are going to have low turnouts, it is inevitable. Also, no offense to Firewind and that touring package but none of those bands were even close to headline material if they were expecting 200-300 in smaller markets. Headliners need to be able to pull 300 on their own at least and then openers add to that base draw. if you go out knowing you pull less than that as a band in a certain market then you have to then accept the consequences. My band has done it and most all bands do it. We played to maybe 14 people in Iowa once. but what bands also need to remember if not a headliner then it is about building a following in that area each time you go back. Most bands seem to forget what the phrase "road-dogging it" actually means.

you should know that the criticism isn't that it's King Crimson, it's that a bunch of dudes who aren't Fripp going on tour playing covers as an opening act isn't all that exciting to us. At least for me, Zappa Plays Zappa is/was exciting because A) there are more than enough reports of the band proving itself to the cynics as an incredible show, and B) I think it's beautiful that Dweezil was passionate about his father's tunes that he wanted to play them. It has a bit more "meaning" than a cover band.

I'm not Met-Al but what I was trying to point out before was that there is no "cover band" playing this DT tour. I just checked the liner notes from my Belew-Levin era King Crimson CDs and the songwriting credits go to the collective band - not to Fripp individually. In fact, the one credit that is one person, the lyrics, is credited to Belew (not Fripp). Someone playing songs that they helped write and record - (and in this case, two and sometimes three people doing so), is not a "cover band". There is no difference in validity between ZPZ and Belew/Levin/Mastelotto.

No one (not me at least) faults you if you just aren't into this music. But you're not right about dismissing it as a cover-band when in fact it consists of co-writers of the songs.

The problem with Volume 11 was over saturation of the market. Metal heads only have so much disposable income so the well will run dry from time to time. also when Raleigh insists on having shows end at 2am it makes it harder for commuters to come to shows, i know i don't anymore. Bands need to spread it out across the state each time they come. I mean there is no perfect science to it, but when a club has a show every weekend for 2 months straight some of the tours are going to have low turnouts, it is inevitable. Also, no offense to Firewind and that touring package but none of those bands were even close to headline material if they were expecting 200-300 in smaller markets. Headliners need to be able to pull 300 on their own at least and then openers add to that base draw. if you go out knowing you pull less than that as a band in a certain market then you have to then accept the consequences. My band has done it and most all bands do it. We played to maybe 14 people in Iowa once. but what bands also need to remember if not a headliner then it is about building a following in that area each time you go back. Most bands seem to forget what the phrase "road-dogging it" actually means.

None of the bigger shows ended that late. The Rotting Christ and Finntroll shows both wrapped up around midnight. I see what you're going for with the over saturation, but typically the tours I'm talking about usually hit the same venues around this area. Jaxx in VA, Masquerade in GA, Tremont in NC, etc. Volume 11 didn't book any more midsized national level tours than any of these other venues, so I don't think they necessarily did anything different in that aspect that would cause them to fail.

I'm no stranger to playing in front of no one. That's a huge part of being a musician. But packages like the Firewind tour coming through the states, playing an area they know they wont make money in just for exposure isn't always a good idea, even if "road-dogging" is what it's about. It's expensive to be on the road. Playing for new crowds is good exposure, but they gotta eat. They gotta pay rent at home. If the southeast consistently doesn't pay, then it seems like a wiser choice to skip it, since it's not exactly easy for a band with empty pockets to spent 2 months touring the US so they can play for everyone, even if they loose tons of money in certain areas.

Oh, that dirty southern groove riff in Where There's Smoke is fucking awesome by the way. Kudos.

I went to a lot of shows at Jaxx in Springfield VA last year. There were maybe 30 to 40 people at the Firewind/Nightrage/White Wizzard/Arsis show. If there's no support, bands will skip the area. No reason to get pissed at them for it!

I was at that show and it was so sad that so few showed up for it... I really hope that more people see DT on tour this year than showed up at the Firewind show at Jaxx (now Empire) last year.

I was at that show and it was so sad that so few showed up for it... I really hope that more people see DT on tour this year than showed up at the Firewind show at Jaxx (now Empire) last year.

LOL yeah, I *think* more people will show up to see DT than Firewind...

Your sarcasm eludes me. What's the common trend now?

All of those bands share the same booking agent. If he has a good relationship with such venue, most of his tours will pass by there as long as it's within the routing.

Think of it this way: you have oranges, but no knife to skin them. The owner of the blade shop has plenty knives, but no food to eat. As long as there's an understanding and an agreement, you'll both be fine.

However, keep in mind one of those items may be more vital, and that opens an entire new can of worms.

None of the bigger shows ended that late. The Rotting Christ and Finntroll shows both wrapped up around midnight. I see what you're going for with the over saturation, but typically the tours I'm talking about usually hit the same venues around this area. Jaxx in VA, Masquerade in GA, Tremont in NC, etc. Volume 11 didn't book any more midsized national level tours than any of these other venues, so I don't think they necessarily did anything different in that aspect that would cause them to fail.

I'm no stranger to playing in front of no one. That's a huge part of being a musician. But packages like the Firewind tour coming through the states, playing an area they know they wont make money in just for exposure isn't always a good idea, even if "road-dogging" is what it's about. It's expensive to be on the road. Playing for new crowds is good exposure, but they gotta eat. They gotta pay rent at home. If the southeast consistently doesn't pay, then it seems like a wiser choice to skip it, since it's not exactly easy for a band with empty pockets to spent 2 months touring the US so they can play for everyone, even if they loose tons of money in certain areas.
It reminds me of when Queensryche played in Indianapolis in 1999. Granted, Queensryche were on a downward trend by then, but they weren't yet a complete joke, and still pretty good live. They were playing the size of venues that DT usually play now, you know, the mid-range thing. No more sheds/arenas, but not shithole clubs either. (like they play now) They played to about 200 people. Now, remember that when you look at most tour itinerarys that come out now. Notice that you seldom see Indianapolis on them? Bands/bookers got tired of empty halls. Now the only shows that come through there are the shed/arena tours. No club/theater shows hardly ever. DT hasn't played there since Images, for Pete's sake!

Glad I moved out of Indiana. :) I can go to shows now. But I'm going back home for Maiden!!

I completely agree. it's always interesting debating the "Well, if there is no Fish it's not Marillion" club and i have to remind them that the "new guy" has been with them since 1988!!!! He has recorded more albums than Fish, so in my mind Hogarth is the real singer of Marillion. Fish was an early formation of the band at this point. I however do love both versions, but they are like Van Halen and Van Hagar pretty much.

After all these years I still can't believe there are people out there that are still bitter about Fish leaving. The Hogarth era of the band has such an amazing body of work, I don't understand how any self respecting prog fan doesn't embrace it.

After all these years I still can't believe there are people out there that are still bitter about Fish leaving. The Hogarth era of the band has such an amazing body of work, I don't understand how any self respecting prog fan doesn't embrace it.

+1. Hogarth is an AMAZING, AMAZING singer whose only crime is being a replacement guy. He will go down as an underappreciated gem.