Dream Theater Tour Dates Announced

Honestly, I'm at the point where the supporting band is what would get me out to a Dream Theater show. I'll probably skip this one.

Sigh. It wasn't that long ago that DT was my favorite band in the world. The idea of *not* seeing them live would never been a possibility.

Same here. I got spoiled with all the "evening with" shows.

I'm pretty sure they said they were going to stop doing evening with shows about two albums ago, and now that Portnoy's out of the band they're even less likely to do stuff like that.

Very odd tour. Don't know what to think of it yet. Dream Theater tend to sell well as it is, so it's not that they need a big draw as an opener. However, if they're going with someone like this, they might as well have done the "evening with". Anyways, I'm guessing with this tour though, they will bring in a lot of the older fans and most likely will play a lot more of the melodic tunes opposed to the heavy tunes. Not that they won't play any heavy tunes but yeah...

If you mean Megadeth, than no.

Megadeth 2005 = Band with the same old name, but new members.

Crimson Projeckt 2012 = New band featuring one original member, new name, playing 100% old material by King Crimson. Essentially, a cover band.

One original member? Really? You don't know your Crimson very well.

It's not the band, it's the agent.

I don't think that DT uses Finberg. When they were here last December, Danny Zelisko was the local promoter. But regardless of whether it's the band or local agent or whatever, it still pisses me off.

I, for one, am extremely excited about this tour. Dream Theater always puts on a great show, and I believe that "A Dramatic Turn of Events" is their best album since "Scenes from a Memory." The added bonus of seeing 3/4 of the last King Crimson lineup (which doesn't come off as a tribute band to me, especially since the only thing that Fripp does when he performs with them is hide behind his pedals) makes the tour that much more enticing.

By the way, Simon, I wouldn't rule out the inclusion of heavy material to Dream Theater's set. I'm guessing you've never heard King Crimson before. They're probably the heaviest progressive rock band ever in existence. Some of their material is downright abrasive.

In addition, someone pointed out the possibility of some Liquid Tension Experiment material being played, which would make a lot of sense and would be absolutely awesome!

The only problem I have with this tour is that the Chicago date listed on Dream Theater's website is different from that listed on their Facebook page. If the website is right, then Dream Theater is playing in Chicago on the same night as Marillion. I have a two-day pass for Marillion's appearance in Chicago, and they haven't played in the States for seven years. However, Dream Theater is my favorite band in the world, and I've managed to see them every time they've come to Chicago since November 1st of 1997 (18 times). If I have to miss them in Chicago, it looks like I'll be taking my first-ever trip to Cincinnati to see them two days later. I know that there are worse problems to have in life, but I was really hoping I could keep my streak going!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

July 17 - Boston, MA - Bank of America Pavilion ??

I already have tickets to Santana @ Bank of America Pavilion for July 17th.

My God! There was no reason to bring a cover band to this. Just throwing this out there: Would Marillion have been a fit? DT shows would probably sell out almost instantaneously if it was.

If I represent a dissenting "opinion" of your above statement that seems to associate Dream Theater fans with Marillion fans....I could name you easily 20-30 Dream Theater songs, and likely (given enough time) list all of their albums in order of the year they came out, but I couldn't name you one Marillion song, album, band member, anything. So nah.

If I represent a dissenting "opinion" of your above statement that seems to associate Dream Theater fans with Marillion fans....I could name you easily 20-30 Dream Theater songs, and likely (given enough time) list all of their albums in order of the year they came out, but I couldn't name you one Marillion song, album, band member, anything. So nah.

You are missing out, Marillion are one of the greatest bands ever. There is a massive back catalogue to dig into, jump on it.

I didn't realize there are 3/4 of KC in the band. If that's the case, then maybe they're not a cover band. Still, I think we could have had a much better opener. As could DT for their own sake.

Wow... Dream Theater fans are totally fucking ridiculous (I knew this fact, but this thread is a reinforcement). Are some of you really bellyaching about 1.) HAVING an opening band, and 2.) NOT LIKING the opening band. You people are so spoiled.

mëtålspëd;10253414 said:
Wow... Dream Theater fans are totally fucking ridiculous (I knew this fact, but this thread is a reinforcement). Are some of you really bellyaching about 1.) HAVING an opening band, and 2.) NOT LIKING the opening band. You people are so spoiled.

My point was having an opening band that could help spread DT's name even more so. They had a huge year. 6th place in the US Billboard list. Grammy nomination. Incredible recognition. I think they should take advantage of that and look for a band to hit the road with that has a bit more CURRENT wide appeal, such as Coheed and Cambria or others. Use the momentum instead of taking friends on the road. DT will likely not get *any* new fans from this tour. They are a huge name, no doubt. But there's always going to be room for improvement imo.