Dream Theater: Score!

ABQShredHead

©1970
Dec 3, 2003
Albuquerque, NM
www.myspace.com
Talk about a score! I walked into Hasting's this afternoon, found my copy of the SCORE DVD, and it rang up $9.99 at the register. Fuck! I'm so jazzed and I haven't even hit the play button yet...:headbang:

Post your comments to this thread, if you're game.

I loved the Documentary and the actual concert was spectacular. I also enjoyed the inclusion of those few extra songs on the Bonus DVD. It was well worth the money and I think it's their best performance to date.

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I'm really pissed right now. I didn't forget about it, but my dad made some dumb excuse that he didn't have 15$ today. It's really aggravating that I can't get it on the day it comes out, but I'm definitely getting it as soon as possible.

There were only 3 copies of the dvd left in my local FYE. One for me, my keyboardist and my bassist. Nothing says Good Times like watching SCORE and eating pizza, while reliving the 2nd greatest night of my life. :D

OH YEAH, I almost forgot, this is very important:

Before The Answer Lies Within, when they drop the Octavarium backdrop, if you listen closely, you can faintly hear my bassist scream out "Those are the biggest BALLS I've ever seen!!"

I thought it was a great performance, and the set with the orchestra was awesome! I loved how the Six Degrees Overture was orchestra only. Other highlights for me were Raise the Knife, Under A Glass Moon, and Octavarium. The extra documentary was pretty neat, too.

My only complaint is that during the performance, there seemed to be minimal footage of Myung. He did talk a lot in the documentary, though.

Score is released on 4th September in the U.K. so I'll get my copy next week. I haven't watched a note of the DVD so I'm really looking forward to it.

Snowmaker said:
He can talk?! I don't think I've ever seen him talk.
:lol:

rockyracoon said:
Raise the Knife, it seems, is finally getting the credit it deserves. This DVD has it all!!! And priced to own at $14.99, though I've seen others talk of getting it cheaper.
!! They still sell Six Degrees and Live at Budokan on audio CD in the UK for £24.99 each, which must be around $45

Huzzah for imports.

OK, I just got to the 6DOIT intro with the orchestra. That sound MUCH better done this way. The album version always sounded so cheesy to me. Like something that plays over the opening credits of a movie.

I like Portnoy's tuxedo t-shirt. :lol:

They could have better-planned the DVD layer change location though. :bah:

Pretty sweet DVD. I also feel that Myung should be in every shot...ever. I also think that they showed Portnoy a bit too much throughout the show. Either way, the songs were kick ass. Raise the Knife was a bit too schizo for my tastes, but the instrumental part was friggin sweet. Orchestra ftw

I'm listening to some of the audio tracks, and man...

They're awesome. The band was on that night. Especially JLB. Wish I could've been there that night.

I'm surprised everyone is so enthusiastic about that release. Admittedly I only watched the hour they aired on VH1 Classic but I thought that

1) There was ZERO energy and ZERO chemistry with the band on stage, it looked like a group of local amatures.

2) They played everything far too slow. Especially The Root of All Evil. That was like friggen practice speed for someone just learning the song.

When I saw them on this tour in Boston I thought it was a spectacular performance, but the DVD just didn't have the same intensity and quality that the Boston performance did. Plus, when you have the Scenes from a Memory DVD to compare it to which is essentially perfect, that makes it all the more difficult to give the concert a good review. I don't think I'll end up buying it, largely because Innocence Faded is the worst song of all time and they had to play it for some unknown reason

SyXified said:
I'm surprised everyone is so enthusiastic about that release. Admittedly I only watched the hour they aired on VH1 Classic but I thought that

1) There was ZERO energy

I was waiting for someone to comment on this. Simply from watching the DVD, it certainly doesnt appear that the crowd is quite as "into it" as you would think they should be. However, I will provide this explanation, as this is how I personally experienced it at the show. People were completely in awe. Everytime I looked around, I could tell everyone was really into it, and was loving all the material and the performance, but it was like being numb. At least, everyone around me(first balcony) seemed to be in shock and totally overwhelmed. So while it may appear that there was no "energy," I disagree and will tell you there absolutely was.

rockyracoon said:
I was waiting for someone to comment on this. Simply from watching the DVD, it certainly doesnt appear that the crowd is quite as "into it" as you would think they should be. However, I will provide this explanation, as this is how I personally experienced it at the show. People were completely in awe. Everytime I looked around, I could tell everyone was really into it, and was loving all the material and the performance, but it was like being numb. At least, everyone around me(first balcony) seemed to be in shock and totally overwhelmed. So while it may appear that there was no "energy," I disagree and will tell you there absolutely was.

+1

That show made me soil myself multiple times. The Spirit Carries On was a billion times better in the crowd than as portrayed by the DVD.