Dream Theater - "Systematic Chaos"

:zombie: wow, I thouroughly loved that album!! So many mixed styles and elements. Oh well, I still luv ya :lol:

I love you too sweetie...even if you're deaf :p . No really, I like the two Mullmuzler albums but the last LaBrie's solo effort was like TOT on steroids. At that moment I thought the whole band was sold out to mallcore and James was the promoter of the change :ill:

Anyway, "Octavarium" saved the day and the new one will be by the end of the week at the most in my hands, skip one or two songs and the rest will fulfill its duty.

NP: Dream Evil - 'Chasing The Dragon'

I've had Systematic Chaos for a couple of weeks & I think it's a very good album.

I just bought my tickets for the DT / Redemption / Into Eternity show this summer, so I'm working to get caught up on the last few DT releases that I skipped.

My copy is on the way, but 'Prophets Of War'is not bad especially compared to the horrible 'The Dark Eternal Night' and the Metallica wannabe 'Constant Motion'. So far my fave is 'The Ministry Of Lost Souls'. But again a proper spinning is in order when my copy arrives.

NP: Planet X - 'Snuff'

And I love Constant Motion and Eternal Night... then again I really like TOT in its entirety :saint:

And I love Constant Motion and Eternal Night... then again I really like TOT in its entirety :saint:

And that's why we are not dating :loco: :p

My copy just arrived, still I doubt i change my mind and TOT is horrible :heh:

NP: Ralph Santolla - Hot Rik's

I can't stop playing this one. Great, Great CD! I know I'm a pretty big fan of these guys, but I think this is the best thing they have released since "Scenes". Very diverse. That opening may be the best on any recording ever. Time will tell, but this may be one of their best.

I hope everybody got the special edition because the documentary is well worth the extra few bucks. Not to mention the 5.1 mix. I hope more bands do this in the future. One way to counter downloading and it's a relatively cheap add on.

Pabla, I really like foresaken as well. If that gets to radio I think it could be a huge hit for them. I also like "the disco song" as well. I never heard a disco song with double bass though!:lol:

Gave the album a few spins last week but need to pick it up again and play it some more. I think it's very good except for I think 2 songs on a row that are more thrashy, style that doesn't fit DT well for me. A top 10 release anyway. gonna see them live with SymphX in afew months, so will decide than who's the best :)

Gave the album a few spins last week but need to pick it up again and play it some more. I think it's very good except for I think 2 songs on a row that are more thrashy, style that doesn't fit DT well for me.

I bet those are tracks 3 and 4 and yes I agree completely and I skipped them when I recorded the CD (the tape is now in the car :D), the rest delivers nicely specially 'Prophets Of War' and 'The Ministry of Lost Souls'

NP: Onward - 'Dawn Of Our Only Day'

I think "Images and Words" is subcounciously used by me to gauge ANY progmetal release I hear. However, after that release I was disappointed with Labrie's scratchy vocals on "Awake" and then they sort of lost me. I just didn't "get" them. After this thread, I think it may be time to rediscover them.
I also think whether you like them or not, Dreamt Theater and Fates Warning moulded modern progmetal into what it is today.

Bryant

Bryant, If you didn't like 'Awake' much, you may not like this one much either. LaBrie's singing reminds me of that CD at times. A little more grit in his voice, but I personally like him better like that. There's still plenty of clean vocals (and they sound better than ever), but I just want to warn you. Portnoy also does quite a bit of background singing on this one as well. Might want to listen to this before you buy.

And that's why we are not dating :loco: :p

My copy just arrived, still I doubt i change my mind and TOT is horrible :heh:

NP: Ralph Santolla - Hot Rik's

To each their own m'dear. You loose out on NOT dating me :heh:

LMAO! (just kiddin :p )

I can't stop playing this one. Great, Great CD! I know I'm a pretty big fan of these guys, but I think this is the best thing they have released since "Scenes". Very diverse. That opening may be the best on any recording ever. Time will tell, but this may be one of their best.

I hope everybody got the special edition because the documentary is well worth the extra few bucks. Not to mention the 5.1 mix. I hope more bands do this in the future. One way to counter downloading and it's a relatively cheap add on.

Pabla, I really like foresaken as well. If that gets to radio I think it could be a huge hit for them. I also like "the disco song" as well. I never heard a disco song with double bass though!:lol:

That's what I thought, it's perfect for radio... but radio sucks! :zombie: Therefore there is a big chance they won't play it... the ignorant bastards!

:lol: now you have heard it with double bass, seriously... after that "disco" feel is over the song is pretty good... just the beginning totally ruins it for me.

As to the "heavier" songs...they are kicking my ass :kickass:

I think "Images and Words" is subcounciously used by me to gauge ANY progmetal release I hear. However, after that release I was disappointed with Labrie's scratchy vocals on "Awake" and then they sort of lost me. I just didn't "get" them. After this thread, I think it may be time to rediscover them.
I also think whether you like them or not, Dreamt Theater and Fates Warning moulded modern progmetal into what it is today.

Bryant

Feel the same way here, Labrie just annoyed me after I&W. This seems to be more of the same, so save your time, and don't listen.

Well Queensryche really molded it in the beginning along with Fates Warning, so I would still say they are the top ones, however Dream Theater are definitly up there as well.

I finally picked this up after seeing it at a used CD store near my house for 7.99

I must say this is tons better than the shitfest that was Octavarium. Constant Motion and Forsaken are killer tracks.

I also happen to like what I've heard from TOT, so whatever.

SavaRon said:
I can't stop playing this one. Great, Great CD! I know I'm a pretty big fan of these guys, but I think this is the best thing they have released since "Scenes". Very diverse.

Great album. Cool concept, very diverse, good singing, excellent musical skill. I really dig the two part song and dark eternal night.

The keyword to why this release is so good.

Saw Dream Theater and Redemption last night in Detroit. DT played very well, some cool visuals and videos and Labrie sounded great. One guy's comment after the show was "Well, it's Dream Theater... Labrie sings, 10 minute wank fest, Labrie sings"

New material went over great and they opened with Constant Motion. Was also very cool to hear them play Scarred and Take the Time.

Saw Dream Theater and Redemption last night in Detroit. DT played very well, some cool visuals and videos and Labrie sounded great. One guy's comment after the show was "Well, it's Dream Theater... Labrie sings, 10 minute wank fest, Labrie sings"

New material went over great and they opened with Constant Motion. Was also very cool to hear them play Scarred and Take the Time.

Jordan playing the keytar for the solo on Take the Time got a pretty good pop from the crowd, too.

My friend and I really enjoyed the video playing during Dark Eternal Night, probably more than the song itself.