Dream Theater

i quite like opeth actually, their accoustic songs anyway, their metal stuff, old quickly, yeah i agree.

in fact ive been thinking about most newer bands that i listen to that havent got old quickly, the only one i can actually think of is symphony X. Alot of new bands to me seem to have something missing, alot of the times, its vocals, and the melodies, which is fantastic in X.
As a guitarist, i allways used to put the guitar melodies before the guitar counterparts, but listening to old Dio stuff, and the new symphony X stuff, just shows me how powerfull it is if you get it just right.
also with older bands they all sounded very different, you could tell your zeppelins from your sabbaths, and your sabbaths from your Rainbows, etc.

i sound like an old bastard after this, i do listen to alot of new material, but alot of the newer bands i listen to are new and have only a debut out prehaps.

Damnation and Blackwater Park are all I can stomach...but they're still very repetative.

Dream Theater is boring, uninspiring and get old quickly because of how they repeat the same four measues over and over and over, song after song after song. It like they only wrote one song and have been playing that now for 20 years...................

Ah they aint that bad, I like em plenty, great band and I always find Petrucci will come up with something interesting. Portnoy has calmed his drumming antics down alot from I&W which for the most part was an endless drum solo but worked well for me at the time. Keys I can take or leave anyhow so I almost tune them out but I did notice some of the circus kind of stuff after people here mentioned it.

Opeth I need to be in the mood to listen to but I always love the guys progressions and real singing. Not a riff monster but very unique approach to a progression as well as progressing through the song. If it werent for the "deth" vocals I could listen more often..... but its all just so scary and I find myself hiding in the corner waiting for a priest to come and exorcise my house...............

there now, you wanna talk about something getting old fast, how about talking about this bull shit metal bands consider vocals these days.... its all just so totally awsome, inspiring and sick... and all like that man, isnt it ? I just cant get enough of it cause I know if I listen to that stuff it makes me like a big bad ass and all like that............. :zombie:

:lol:

I'm a back in the day guy too...41...yikes!

you aint seen nothing yet bro, believe me, faster every year. when I was 40 I still weighed what I weighed in HS wrestling and was still as tuff as stainless, also had direction for my life. Then "America" changed in what seemed like over night but it was long coming, some of us just couldnt believe it was really going to happen.

Ill be 50 in less than a month........ WTF, I dont care anymore, cant stop it.

But as you mention it, I have been in a real old school listening mood lately myself. I mean old 70's stuff. Tull, Rush, ELP, Crack the Sky, Dregs, James Gang w/Bolin, Tommy Bolin, Trower, Mahogany Rush, some old fusion, ect. but then Im always in the mood for my good ol music.

I absolutely hate those rap parts on Train of Thought.:puke:

It's not rap... who the hell raps in 7/8?! Besides, Honor Thy Father is a kickass song. I understand, though. It can be a bit annoying. Any LaBrie can.

Is it just me, or do the "Glass Prisons" keep getting worse? The first was the best, and This Dying Soul was pretty good, but they've continually gone downhill for me. The one on Systematic Chaos is a snoozefest.

It's not rap... who the hell raps in 7/8?! Besides, Honor Thy Father is a kickass song. I understand, though. It can be a bit annoying. Any LaBrie can.

Is it just me, or do the "Glass Prisons" keep getting worse? The first was the best, and This Dying Soul was pretty good, but they've continually gone downhill for me. The one on Systematic Chaos is a snoozefest.

Sorry dude...it's too close to rap. And I hate those sampled voices...totally annoying...ruins the song for me. Much of This Dying Soul sounds like Linkin Park...actually there are hints of nu metal all over it. Otherwise I do like that album.

I seem to be the only person who really enjoys repentance. It gives me goosebumps. Coupled with Octavarium (song), those are the only two modern DT songs that I enjoy.

They used alot of alternate sounds on one album, must be the one your talking about but to narrow it all down to Linkin Park isnt very creative. I hear Tool, Metallica and if I drug the CD up from the shop I'd tell you who else I can hear.

Sorry dude...it's too close to rap. And I hate those sampled voices...totally annoying...ruins the song for me. Much of This Dying Soul sounds like Linkin Park...actually there are hints of nu metal all over it. Otherwise I do like that album.

ummm, I'm pretty sure Linkin Park don't play 654th quintuplet unisons between their keyboardist and 7 string guitarist...