Dream Theater

I used to LOVE everything about DT. They are still one of my many favorite bands but I rarely listen to anything after 6DOIT. There are a few songs off the last album that I really like but the overall stuff is not the best IMO. They've done better in the past. It's too bad really but I think maybe it's because they have so much stuff on the side?!

The last concert I went to (for the SC tour) was a HUGE let down for me. They played too many slow songs. They didn't even play Constant Motion off the last album which I thought would have been a shoe-in. Rudess is getting on my nerve with his ridiculous solos ... if you can even call them that. He's always playing the same thing. During the last show, that whole solo act he did was the very low point for me. Sort of "Pee break moment" if you know what I mean.

Anyways ... I hope they get back to doing stuff in the vein of SFAM or 6DOIT.

I used to LOVE everything about DT.

Amen.

They've just gotten too predictable lately. I liked Train of Thought, Octavarium was pretty much awful (sans a few tunes), and Systematic Chaos is about half good in my book. But you can always tell where each song is going to go next, based on the standard Dream Theater songwriting equation.

Dream Theater should do a band re-haul and see if they can get their creativity back. They really need to challenge themselves. Here is a five step program to DT challenging their own songwriting ability:

1) Portnoy must use a standard jazz kit. Only one tom-tom. No double bass.
2) Petrucci is only allowed to record with ONE guitar in the studio, and it cannot have an acoustic/electric pickup mix.
3) Myung must only play the Chapman Stick.
4) Rudess has to use a Korg mini.
5) LaBrie cannot hit any notes outside of a high baritone range.

Ten bucks says this would make for the most interesting Dream Theater album in ten years.

Of course it would be the most interesting, as it would be way outside their comfort zones, but that sort of thing isn't what people listen to Dream Theater for, if they want that they'd listen to a busker band...

Do you know what I think? I think they should all get out more and do lots of side projects. They need to stop festering in the stagnant pool of shit they are drowning in. Meaning they need more styles in the mix. Portnoy seems to have them all by the testicles commanding Muse and U2 influences from them. It's just not natural for them.

When people get out and try new things it gives a different perspective. As Detective Clarence Beauregard and a few others where saying, it is getting old. Something fresh and not predictable is really what they need.

I agree, I'm so sick of hearing DT trying to sound like Muse and U2. I love Muse, but they're the ONLY Muse there will ever be. I hate U2 though, so seeing one of my once favourite bands trying to be like them is a bit sad :(.

I reckon they should wait a bit longer before doing another album, and really think it through this time. Give it the warmth and creativity of Scenes and 6 Degrees.

U2 ? Must have missed that one

All I can say is the opening riff for Forsaken gets me on my feet everytime, and I really like the whole song as well, along with the rest of the disc. Before too long Im sure I'll hear all the critics release something that will show Dream Theater.... "how its supposed to be done". I'll wait patiently so as to not get all stressed out.

Of course it would be the most interesting, as it would be way outside their comfort zones, but that sort of thing isn't what people listen to Dream Theater for, if they want that they'd listen to a busker band...

Though this is true, I would figure the "progressive" fans of Dream Theater would admire this change in sounds...seeing as they haven't recently progressed beyond the exact same pattern of mediocre songwriting.

Do you know what I think? I think they should all get out more and do lots of side projects. They need to stop festering in the stagnant pool of shit they are drowning in. Meaning they need more styles in the mix. Portnoy seems to have them all by the testicles commanding Muse and U2 influences from them. It's just not natural for them.

When people get out and try new things it gives a different perspective. As Detective Clarence Beauregard and a few others where saying, it is getting old. Something fresh and not predictable is really what they need.

Amen.

I'm not suggesting that they don't need to reassess and reinspire their songwriting, I'm talking about cutting back that far sonically, I think such a massive sound is a part of DT that has been there and should stay and is part of what makes them great imo.